Oil pan heater restict oil cooling in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of putting a Kats oil pan heater pad on my car. I am currently using the magnetic one, but it is a pain to crawl under the car twice a day to attach and detach it.

Would having this pad attached during the summer restrict cooling of the oil in any meaningful way? The summers here can get into the 90's. Since we only have another month of cold temperatures I was thinking of putting it off until next fall and stick with the magnetic one for now. My sump holds just under 4 quarts, and the pad is 4"x5".

I would't think so considering, not much cooling comes from the pan if it isn't a slotted/vented pan!

Last edited:
For normal driving, I wouldn't worry about it. If you were tracking the car then it wouldn't be ideal as some cars overheat their oil when driven hard.

I have used oil pan heaters for a few decades, on a wide variety of vehicles, and I have never seen or heard of any problem from anyone, nor experienced any problem with oil not cooling properly with it permanently attached. Everything from Jeeps, pickups, semi trucks and ag tractors.

Only problem with a block heater, is that it does nothing for warming the oil.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I would't think so considering, not much cooling comes from the pan if it isn't a slotted/vented pan!

And too, it's not like the magnet heater pad acts like an insulated blanket!

smile.gif

CB

I ran them on the engine and tranny of my old Expedition for years, tranny fluid temp was the same in summer with and without so i would say the engine oil would also be unaffected.

Great in winter though, i had them hooked up to a single cord in the lower grill.
It even soaked into the cooling system and raised the temp of the coolant to above freezing on zero degree nights.
I left it on all night when it got that cold. No more white gunk under the oil cap either.

All positive with them. I did clean the pan well and used hight temp silicone around the edges, they didn't loosen after 5 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back