VWGOLF2.0TDiPD 5K OCi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great
thumbsup2.gif

thanks for the pics

Cheers,

forgot to say it's on 86000 miles and current oil has about 3000 miles on it

We've had it since 52000 miles and seems to be going well, just changing the glow plugs and noticed how clean it was

Looks clean!

Dad has an '09 A4 2.0TDI. He gets the oil/filter changed once every 2 years. Not sure how many kms he puts on during that time as that's not his only car, but probably around 20k. Never seen the insides of it though.

Cheers, Nice car! similar engine but his should be CR rather than PD

Yeah 15k - 17k miles is usually about when the "service now" light pings on when on variable servicing. It would depend on his driving style, there's usually some soot sediment in them if they are on variable servicing.

Best thing to do with modern diesels, especially VAG ones, is warm that engine and turbo up slowly. Modern variable vane turbos work flat out from low revs so you have to make a conscious effort give it light throttles until it reaches operating temp and it massively increases it's lifespan. (sorry for the brain dump)

Ours is used for short trips and fast driving so fixed interval is the correct service regime for us

5w-40 VW505.01 is the recommended oil in these engines for fixed interval

I don't see any advantage to using the 5w-30 507.00 oil so I'll stick with the 505.01

Have driven a 2004 1.9 PD engine from new to 510.000Km on VW507.00 5W30 and 30.000km intervals... (60k km a year) ultra low sulfur fuel.
Original turbo,camshaft,engine never opened.

Originally Posted By: Zambee500
5w30 eats PD cams, so 507.00 is a bad idea with PD motors. Stick with 5w40.

I had that engine until it hit 390,000km, never had issue, oil used was Shell 5W30 VW 505.01 and OMV 5W30. Car was in Europe. Cam issues that I saw were in the US, and I seriously do not know why.

Completely forgot about it, but I do recall now reading about the PD cam being less of a problem in Europe. I bought an after-market cam replacement when my original failed, and from speaking with the guy who makes them the speculation is the continued high ambient temps is the killer. He was seeing far more failures in the Southern US than up north. 5w30 just exacerbates the problem, or I guess perhaps the other way around. Broadly speaking (yes, a generalization), I don't think most of Europe sees sustained summer temps like we see down South or in Texas or Arizona, etc., so perhaps that explains it.

The owners manuals on the PD motors (in N. America anyway) are clear that you should use only 5w40 505.01 certified oil, and 5w30 is only acceptable when 5w40 isn't available. I understand the BEW or BRM motors even have warning tags under the hood or on the oil filler cap saying the same thing (my BHW does not, but my owner's manual does). Why all the VWoA dealerships started stocking 5w30 505.01 oils when 5w40 is readily available is beyond me. VAG even has a different part number for the 5w40 flavor (G-052-167-M2).

There are a few non-505.01 5w40 CJ-4 oils that have proven themselves in PD TDI motors that would be better than using a 505.01 in 5w30. M1 TDT, Rotella T6, Schaeffer 9000, M1 ESP Formula M, etc.

Originally Posted By: Zambee500
Completely forgot about it, but I do recall now reading about the PD cam being less of a problem in Europe. I bought an after-market cam replacement when my original failed, and from speaking with the guy who makes them the speculation is the continued high ambient temps is the killer. He was seeing far more failures in the Southern US than up north. 5w30 just exacerbates the problem, or I guess perhaps the other way around. Broadly speaking (yes, a generalization), I don't think most of Europe sees sustained summer temps like we see down South or in Texas or Arizona, etc., so perhaps that explains it.

The owners manuals on the PD motors (in N. America anyway) are clear that you should use only 5w40 505.01 certified oil, and 5w30 is only acceptable when 5w40 isn't available. I understand the BEW or BRM motors even have warning tags under the hood or on the oil filler cap saying the same thing (my BHW does not, but my owner's manual does). Why all the VWoA dealerships started stocking 5w30 505.01 oils when 5w40 is readily available is beyond me. VAG even has a different part number for the 5w40 flavor (G-052-167-M2).

There are a few non-505.01 5w40 CJ-4 oils that have proven themselves in PD TDI motors that would be better than using a 505.01 in 5w30. M1 TDT, Rotella T6, Schaeffer 9000, M1 ESP Formula M, etc.

Could be, I personally like thicker oils. It would be interesting to find any data how those cars did in Turkey, Greece, Israel etc. They are very popular there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back