GM Push-Fit Connectors.......Junkyard Jewels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to share some GM fitting related discoveries with this group.

In my quest to add a spin-on transmission filter and trans-cooler to my 2004 Chev Avalanche, I have to interrupt the trans cooler lines into the radiator. To do so cleanly, you have to mess with the elusive (and irritating)GM Push-fit connectors.

The aftermarket provides a machined tube with the male push-fit profile, to go into the female push-fit connector in the radiator. Then you are supposed to use hose-clamps to connect this to a hose to the cooler.

The aftermarket recommends connecting hose to the cooler onto the male steel factory cooler lines with hose-clamps...but in order to get a semi reliable connection here, you need to flare the factory line.

I don't like messing with factory lines, and I don't like hose clamps. I wanted a positive connection to all steel lines.

Here's the GM push fit connector, and the GM line profile. The E-clip holds the GM line in the connector, and an O-ring inside seals it off. The part that screws into the radiator is a 3/8" inverted flare if I am not mistaken.

Jewel1.jpg

Jewel2.jpg

Anyhow, I called the dealership to ask how much the push-fit connector is...... $45! And even if I blew this money, I still wouldn't have a proper GM steel line that I could slip into this fitting, and flare the other end to an SAE 45* female for a leak free coupling to a custom line I would build.

Off to the junkyard, and after a fair amount of looking, I found two of these babies (plus around 6" of the lines with proper proprietary push-fit flare on the ends)...$90 worth of parts for a $1 admission fee and $2.50 for the two lines/fittings. A little chemical rust stripper and they look almost new.

A couple of learnings for those wanting to use these Push-fit fittings:

1. 1995 and earlier (AFAIK)GM radiator internal coolers (on full sized trucks and vans) use a 3/8" inverted flare fitting to the radiator.

2. 1996 and later (AFAIK) GM radiator internal coolers (on full sized trucks and vans) use a push fit fitting like the one above, which threads in to the un-coincidentally 3/8" inverted flare radiator fitting.

3. Due to point 2. above, you could avoid all of this hassle by just threading the push-fit fitting out of the radiator and hooking up your cooler lines to interrupt the factory trans or oil cooling the system using a:
a./ female 3/8" inverted flare (now at end of the push-fit fitting that you removed from the radiator and clipped to the end of the factory cooler line); and
b./ male 3/8 inverted flare fitting that would be threaded into the radiator in place of the push-fit adapter pictured above.

This would be the simplest because 3/8" steel lines are easy to find at any auto parts store with inverted flare fittings already installed.

Why didn't I just do this? I didn't know what was on the other end of the push-fit fitting where it threaded into the radiator tank. More importantly, my radiator tanks are plastic, and after unsuccessfully applying a fair amount of force to this fitting to attempt to thread it out (there is thread-locker applied), I chickened out. I had visions of shattering the plastic radiator tank around the fitting before it broke free of the radiator tank. So I thought it would be better to experiment on a junked vehicle at the junk-yard.

The good news is that after finding the right vehicle, I really reefed on the fittings at the junkyard to get them out of a 10 year old plastic tanked radiator, and there were no signs of cracking. With a fair amount of force they came out without drama.

The bolder among us may have the courage to try this on their own car. This saves the $45 fitting, and alot of hassle, and with some female and male 3/8" inverted flare fittings, adaptors and 3/8 tubing, you'll have a bulletproof connection.

After all of this, I will say that the push-fit fittings are nice pieces and function very well. Pulling them apart is as simple as sliding back a plastic sleeve (not shown) over the e-clip, removing the e-clip, and sliding the hose out. Very handy for the trans-powered trans fluid pump out and refill. If you know what the e-clip looks like and how it works, you can easily remove a clean one with your finger-nail. A dental pick also works well.

I hope this information is helpful to someone, and I'll post pictures of my all-steel-lines aux trans cooler and filter when available.

I would think sliding on the rubber hose and putting on a couple of good hose clamps would be as reliable as the push fit 0-ring. I recently replaced the hoses on the Ford diesel after over 20 years and the hose clamps were still like new. I like to use heavier clamps than come with the transmission filters. I sometimes set up a dual remote system on the transmissions. I install a Perma-Cool ATF filter then install a Perma-Col sandwich adapter on the mount and run hoses to a Motor Guard. I can tell by looking at the bathroom tissue what kind of shape the transmission is in. I installed a dual remote on a Dodge Cummins using a motor oil filter relocation kit. It was frightening how much wear material I took out with the first filter change. It was a new tranny. If the TP looked like that on my old Ford C-6 I would know I had a problem.

Yes,

It probably would Ralph, but I'm doing this partially as a hobby, so it is sort of fun to do it the hard way.

Update:

I found this on Napaonline. Figures, after laying in the mud in the junk-yard, napa is carrying these female push-fit connections for a few bucks. Hopefully this helps someone.

232812.jpg

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NO...r%2c+Engine+Oil

In case the link disappears, Napa part #BK 7304951

Notably, it does not appear to have the 3/8" inverted flare connection like the GM part has, but this would be a cheap and easy brass weatherhead adapter issue.

I hope this might help someone.

Thanks, Jim. Stuff like this will surely make life easier for someone. The learning curve on fittings is pretty steep with just JIC/AN ..ORBS ..etc ..let alone the proprietary stuff that the manufacturers come up with to make the production line run faster.

Looking more closely at that picture, it looks like it just might be an inverted flare fitting. That last part on the right appears to be a flare, not a thread....so it's likely a direct swap, which makes more sense.

Those push lock fittings are a joy. When I did the ATF pump out and replace on the 4L60E in my 2005 Trailblazer, I bought the plastic 'disconnect' tools from Napa for those fittings. I couldn't get the !@#$% things to work. I wound up using a pick to carefully pop the E-clip out of the female end. Basically you shove the line in, pop out the clip and then the line will release. Mine also had black plastic protective collars that slide over the whole fitting once it's together. There was lots of room to work under the trailblazer. These would be tough to work on in tight spaces.

Yes, I've seen the plastic disconnect tool, but never understood how you use it. I've found that a dental pick or your fingernail is good enough for removing the "e" clip. The trick is getting the clip off without having it go flying into the dark recesses of your workshop. It is made of spring-steel and is capable of flying long distances when stretched and if you lose hold of it. Maybe preventing this flight is what the plastic tool is good for.

I should get around to photographing my set-up in the Aux. Spin on Transmission Filters thread, which I started when I first thought about doing this. The whole idea was to create a aux trans cooling system with a spin-on filter using no gear clamps or rubber hoses and with no cutting of original lines.

Quote:

These would be tough to work on in tight spaces.

I think they would be really fast to work with on the assembly line. I suspect GM sends its radiator manufacturer a couple thousand of these fittings and tells them to make sure they're threaded into the radiators when delivered.

This way the guy on the assembly line doesn't have to thread-in and properly torque (and seal) the old-style 3/8" inverted flare fitting into the radiator on the line (consuming time, and risking breaking the plastic radiator tank). My guess is they pass this time and risk to the radiator supplier.

Those fittings are available from Dorman products and they come with a new plastic lock. You don't get the o-Ring but that is available seperately. I have them on my 92 GMC. It started to weep oil from around the seal (O-ring failure) and on the lower hose I tried to use the disconnect tool, after much cussing and swearing I finally just used a pliers and it popped right out. On the upper hose I just squeezed the plastic lock together against the hose and the hose released without a fuss. I am a little leary about how they lock back in, but it hasn't leaked in 10k miles.

Please disregard previous post. I was thinking of the older style pre-95 version, The disconnect tool for this version should be aluminum and you clamp it to the hose slide it into the coupler and insert a screwdriver at the fulcrum and apply pressure to open the clip and tug on the hose at the same time.

I know this is a VERY old thread.
It's probably better to keep this info in one location rather than make a completely new thread.
You can build completely custom 3/8 hard lines using the GM factory fittings and 3/8 steel tubing.

Mastercool makes a GM 3/8 Transmission Cooling Line Die Set for their not inexpensive Hydraulic Flare Tool line. The part # is Mastercool 71099-TC

If you already have the Mastercool 71475 Universal Hydraulic Flaring Tool, like I do, or one of the smaller sets... This die set will make the same quality transmission line fitting that you are used to getting on brake lines. I recently used it to build custom lines for my Gen 8 Impala external transmission oil cooler and spin-on filter.

Sorry to sound like an ad for them. I are not them. Their hydraulic flare tool is very nice... It better be for the price. I bought it for making decent brake lines on several project cars after I completely lost patience with the cheapies.

Thanks for the info on the NAPA female line fitting. That's how I found this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back