honda accord slight grind in third gear, heavier o

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently rebuilt the transmission in my 93 accord with new synchros, bearings, and seals. I still have a slight grind going into third gear. I assume the gear was probably worn beyond spec.

Anyway, I'm running gm synchro mesh friction modified in there right now. Think a heavier oil would help? And suggestions beyond tearing down the transmission again? Thanks all.

I've done more of these than I can count. If the dog teeth on 3rd gear and its corresponding synchro collar are worn down and rounded off from previous grinding, there is not much that can be done besides disassembly and component replacement. If you have any pictures I might be able to give better advice.

You want an oil that compliments the synchros... they need some friction to work properly. Some oil can be too slippery... really.

Honda MTF used to be the go to manual tranny fluid... maybe give it a try.

But before you feel the need to tear into the transmission, AGAIN, try a couple of tranny fluids first, and make sure your clutch is releasing properly...

I used engine oil as suggested in the owner's manual for my Honda 5-speed and chose Mobil 1 10-30. At 200K miles I rebuilt my tranny because of noise. I discovered that engine oil in this tranny shears down and upon rebuilding I switched to Red Line MTL and at 430K miles everything is okay and this oil does not sheer.

When I was using Mobil 1 I changed it every 30K miles and the rebuild was needed at 200K miles. With the Red Line MTL I change it ever 100K miles and so far everything is good.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
I've done more of these than I can count. If the dog teeth on 3rd gear and its corresponding synchro collar are worn down and rounded off from previous grinding, there is not much that can be done besides disassembly and component replacement. If you have any pictures I might be able to give better advice.

I have heard this before but don't quite understand it. it makes sense to me that rounded teeth would make it difficult to get it in gear but why would it grind? Unfortunately I didnt take pictures.

Is the friction modified fluid more slick than the regular stuff? I figured it provided more friction, not less.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back