Indian Dark Horse Reveal on... Friday the 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I will say is that I have owned HD's since 1974 and still do. I also have worked on them for many years and still do. I have a 2014 Chieftain (#191) and it is better than any HD I have ever owned. It is better engineered, better suspension and handling by light years. It is just a better bike.

HD better get on the stick and do some redesign of its power train or it is going to be left in the dust. Bad compensators, inner primary bearing, shower heads, death wobble for the FLH frames, etc.

Funny when I go to the HD dealer parties that everyone wants to see and ask a million questions about the Indian. Lot of jealousy out there with the HD IMAGE guys. They are scared right now.

Had a lot of bikes and none of them made my [censored] any larger, but this Indian sure makes for a lot of fun to ride. When doing the dragon or Cherahala it sure makes for a good stiffie.

Originally Posted By: Spur
All I will say is that I have owned HD's since 1974 and still do. I also have worked on them for many years and still do. I have a 2014 Chieftain (#191) and it is better than any HD I have ever owned. It is better engineered, better suspension and handling by light years. It is just a better bike.

HD better get on the stick and do some redesign of its power train or it is going to be left in the dust. Bad compensators, inner primary bearing, shower heads, death wobble for the FLH frames, etc.

Funny when I go to the HD dealer parties that everyone wants to see and ask a million questions about the Indian. Lot of jealousy out there with the HD IMAGE guys. They are scared right now.

Had a lot of bikes and none of them made my [censored] any larger, but this Indian sure makes for a lot of fun to ride. When doing the dragon or Cherahala it sure makes for a good stiffie.
Really, lets get this straight. You own a Indian, but go to the Harley parties?. Why? so you can try to convince anyone there that will listen to you that Indians are a better bike? Do the dealers you mention pay you? I know comedians aren't cheap. I bet when you mention the part about your new bike making you Penxx longer, the whole place cracks up.,,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Originally Posted By: whip
I see Bigcahuna has his broken record player out again.
Do you have something to add to the discussion, or are you just building up your post count?.,,

You don't deny that your rants on the history of the Indian name, your bashing of anything not from Harley, and your worship of the bar and shield aren't a broken record........

How much more evidence do you need to prove that open-pipe Hogs cause brain decay or that Hog ownership is akin to a cult? Realistically, Jim Jones never had as much pull on his followers as Milwaukee has on its.

Finally, need we remind Hog-o-philes that were it not for strict import tarifs imposed by the American govt. in the early 80s that your fabled brand would have gone the way of the dodo bird (and Indian as you so proudly espouse). Had Indian been able to rely on trade intervention in its day of need, it certainly would also have enjoyed uninterrupted production..... sorry to blur the issue with facts.......

Now back to our regularly scheduled denial and delusions......

I should clarify that not all Harley owners are fanatics, my apologies to those who ride a Harley and don't drink the kool-aid....

Your "facts" are a bit flawed, just like your denial that people are what make Harley the most popular ,sought after motorcycle in the world.Harley "woke up" to the fact that the Japanese were dumping their cheap their motorcycles on us soil for pennies on the dollar, and made the us government put a halt to it before it ran them out of business. A smart move on Harley part. If that is really the reason Indian went under, Looks like they weren't bright enough to understand how it works, and paid the ultimate price for being compliant. So if Harley owners drink "kool aid", Indian owners are more sophisticated "juicy juice " drinkers, still trying to justify their choice to buy a copy of the real thing.,,

thanks for that... "people" buy lots of Harleys..., but "people" also buy cigarettes by the billions daily, guess by your logic that means that smoking is a wise and reasoned lifestyle choice... interesting concept, lol

P.S. good thing you're not the Surgeon General.....

Harley made a voluntary request to the federal government to end the tariffs a full year before they were scheduled to expire. It saved an American company and the Nippon manufacturers seem to have done well over the past 30 years.

Originally Posted By: Mik
thanks for that... "people" buy lots of Harleys..., but "people" also buy cigarettes by the billions daily, guess by your logic that means that smoking is a wise and reasoned lifestyle choice... interesting concept, lol

You seem to have a hard time staying on topic. And You may want to give up those cigarettes, it clouds your ability to make sense.,,,

Really, lets get this straight. You own a Indian, but go to the Harley parties?. Why? so you can try to convince anyone there that will listen to you that Indians are a better bike? Do the dealers you mention pay you? I know comedians aren't cheap. I bet when you mention the part about your new bike making you Penxx longer, the whole place cracks up.,,

So you really are an idiot. Hope I run into you at some point. Your mouth might overload your [censored]. What a bafoon. Maybe you did not see the part where I still have HDs and I still work on them. Again, what a bafoon.

Originally Posted By: Mik

You seem to have a hard time staying on topic. And You may want to give up those cigarettes, it clouds your ability to make sense.,,,

silly me, for trying to use logic and and analogies with a zealot Hog owner..... I don't speak in the requisite monosyllabic chrome nor am I skilled at drawing so I guess you'll never understand...... so long as there are the blindly obedient Milwaukee-is-God types they will keep selling bikes, though numbers may shrink, as more rational and objective types turn to Indian and other products of superior engineering.....

So you really are an idiot. Hope I run into you at some point. Your mouth might overload your [censored]. What a bafoon. Maybe you did not see the part where I still have HDs and I still work on them. Again, what a bafoon.

Classic!!!!! and from a fellow (and long-time) Harley owner too. Therein lies the difference between someone who is open-minded (and objective enough to admit that Indian have raised the bar) and another who is blinded by his infatuation with the name on the tank........ Kudos to you for the honesty Spur. Enjoyed your shiny new example of cruiser-bike superior engineering.......

Im kind of curious, HOW MANY 2014s and 2015s Harleys have you owned?
I only ask, because you say HD better get on the "stick" ... Harley already did with the Rushmore bikes and they didnt give up and rename their model line up nor did they abandon their line up, they improved it, competition is good. I would be leary of any huge investment in a Polaris motorcycle, got to hope they dont flame out.
The press is being nice to Polaris right now, creating an image of large sales numbers, but its not really all it seems, no one is covering how they toss around the model lineup to satisfy the flavor of the moment, which is great as long as you dont own any part of the neglected part of their line up. Ex. Cross Roads resale is in the toilet, not selling enough they gutted the lineup 2 years ago ... and how long will a retro 1930s motorcycle lineup be popular, like the reinvention of the Beetle, sooner or later the buzz will wear off.

and ... you do remember how the last 70 or 80 years, Indian has failed over and over again, if so great, why is that? I guess this time will be different? Like the last time?
If you ask me, Victory owners have been thrown under the bus, the new premium line is the Indian name, the Victory badge bikes are being discounted across the country as dealers try to unload them.

To each his own, just responding to your Harley bash.

Last edited:
Not bashing HD. I have put over 100,000 miles on more than one HD. As I said I work on them for a few folks, not my full time job. I don't think they will go out of business because of Indian and I do not want them to go out of business. They do require some things to be attended to if you want to go 100,000 miles on one. The vast majority of garage queens never see 10,000 miles and have never been wet.

You are echoing what I am saying. Competition is good. Good competition will make HD better. It is very interesting that polaris built a bike from the ground up in 27 months and has introduced that bike with zero recalls. I have 10,000 on my Chieftain right now and have had zero problems. To me that is really impressive.

Yes polaris has focused on the Indian brand and sort of neglected Victory. Think that is about to change.

Not bashing HD, just trying to be realistic. Unlike some others on here.

HD will be here for a long time and I hope they are. Even though I do remember the AMF days. Just have to say something to folks who are in it for the image and are talking sh$t about a bike they know nothing about. HD folks should be thanking Polaris everyday because their HD will be better for it in the long run.

Yes the last two attempts flamed out, because they were parts bikes by investors with no capital. Polaris is a bigger company than HD and has all the capital necessary to be successful. You should check out the sales numbers. Pretty good thing when your orders exceed you manufacturing capacity.

Last edited:
You cruiser guys are funny. The word FANBOY certainly comes to mind. You guys take it as a personal affront that anyone would want to buy something other than "your" brand. Hilarious...

The new dark horse looks nice, for a cruiser. Though I personally like the scout better myself.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Apparently one thing they did copy Harley on, at least in this instance, is that those things were being loaded onto trucks while (or before) the launch party was going on.

Couple people on the Indian forum claim their bikes are on the truck, one guy says he will probably pick it up with extras installed Thursday...

Or maybe not since not one person I can find has posted a picture of theirs in the flesh yet...

Maybe the weather is holding them up...

HD will be here for a long time and I hope they are. Even though I do remember the AMF days. Just have to say something to folks who are in it for the image and are talking sh$t about a bike they know nothing about. HD folks should be thanking Polaris everyday because their HD will be better for it in the long run.

Yes the last two attempts flamed out, because they were parts bikes by investors with no capital. Polaris is a bigger company than HD and has all the capital necessary to be successful. You should check out the sales numbers. Pretty good thing when your orders exceed you manufacturing capacity.

Yes, agree, HD will be here for a LONG time, after all, they sell more motorcycles above 600cc in the United States then ALL other bike makers from all over the world combined.

Polaris is getting all the press and buzz right now because its relatively new to the cruiser market with its PURCHASED Indian name, only time will tell if they make money, right now, their sales are nothing more then a needle in a haystack compared to HD.
HD is still the real deal.

For me personally? AS long as HD stands by my 2014 bike and it holds up as good as it is right now I will be behind them 100% (thats a tall order)
Really, HD is the ONLY American company that makes just motorcycles, they are the original, the real deal, so they better not let me down because I am cheering for them to hold their market share against these H-U-G-E multi faceted corporations from which they are under attack everyday.
HDs budget is nothing, pennies, compared to multi product international corporations who make everything from Pianos to boats and engines such as Yamaha.... or in the case for Polaris, ATVs, Jetskis, snowmobiles, golf carts, generators.

BTW, I am new to HD, only bought my first HD in August 2014, 14 Road King. Im so impressed with the bike that as long as it proves reliable, well, we will see!

Last edited:
PS. BTW, Dont read my words wrong, I am not in anyway knocking other motorcycle companies and I am not saying HD is the Holy Grail. Its about the ride, not what you ride and what works for you.

What I am saying is some people, Americans, the last thing they should be doing is bashing HD for their success and we should all wish them continued success, as they are an American company and have struggled through hard times and good times and to this day, still standing.
Also, I agree competition is good for all of us, it keeps us on our toes.

As far as Polaris we can not yet compare the reliability of the Indian bikes, far to few on the road and far to little miles, when we finally do compare, lets make sure to take into account model year against model year. Not name tag against name tag simply because Indian is just out, Harley has been out forever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Yes, agree, HD will be here for a LONG time, after all, they sell more motorcycles above 600cc in the United States then ALL other bike makers from all over the world combined.

Polaris is getting all the press and buzz right now because its relatively new to the cruiser market with its PURCHASED Indian name, only time will tell if they make money, right now, their sales are nothing more then a needle in a haystack compared to HD.
HD is still the real deal.

For me personally? AS long as HD stands by my 2014 bike and it holds up as good as it is right now I will be behind them 100% (thats a tall order)
Really, HD is the ONLY American company that makes just motorcycles, they are the original, the real deal, so they better not let me down because I am cheering for them to hold their market share against these H-U-G-E multi faceted corporations from which they are under attack everyday.
HDs budget is nothing, pennies, compared to multi product international corporations who make everything from Pianos to boats and engines such as Yamaha.... or in the case for Polaris, ATVs, Jetskis, snowmobiles, golf carts, generators.

BTW, I am new to HD, only bought my first HD in August 2014, 14 Road King. Im so impressed with the bike that as long as it proves reliable, well, we will see!

Don't forget that HD went bankrupt and was saved by AMF, a Japanese bowling ball company. HD was repurchased from them as they were about to end the brand. Actually the best motor HD has ever had was a result of this [censored] company, the Evo. Don't be so quick to think you are all that American made. Actually the Indian right now has a higher percentage of American made parts. Just like all those " American made" snobs with their HD sticker on their toyota truck.

I am fine with HD, but it's history is not all that pristine either. The Japs owned it at one time and saved it from ruin. Check you fork drain screw and you will see you need a 6mm on that Showa fork. No problem with HD, just a problem with some of the misguided attitudes who really don't know the history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back