2007 Navigator: Fram vs. Auterra (Jiffy Lube?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After servicing the exhaust system yesterday, and a few spirited runs, I noticed that the filter minder was suddenly and mysteriously displaying 70% filter load. Previously, I had inspected the air filter, and it looked clean and "OK". Today was a different story entirely. The filter, which is an "Auterra" brand (which I am told is favored by Jiffy Lube) appeared to be in poor shape. The pleats have lost uniformity, in such a way as I cannot imagine airflow being very effective anymore.

The replacement Fram filter obviously is constructed to prevent exactly this from occurring. As usual, it's seal was thick enough to make it almost difficult to install. Definitely no sealing issues here.

As expected, after several trips to the engine's red line, the filter minder displays zero.

If I would have known this was a preferred brand of Iffy Lube, it would have gone in the garbage from Day One.

Our Jiffy Lube uses Mighty Engine Guard II but typically we use the HD version with the strips across the fins and have seen great performance with them.

Clearly this is puro made!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
laugh.gif

hooked.gif

Pureone air filters, or even the standard white (classic?) air filters are the best bang for your buck!

That filter must be pretty bad to make a Fram look that good
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The Auterra looks like it got wet.

That was my first thought, but this is not a low SUV by any standards at all. The intake is more than 2 feet off the ground, and inside of the fender. The fender shield, and all of its clips and screws are accounted for, and intact. The airbox itself is wide and very deep. I can't imagine the deluge that would be necessary for water to end up anywhere near the air filter. I'm struggling to remember if and when I have forded a river or left the truck parked in an arroyo, but it just isn't coming to mind.
wink.gif

Quote:
Whats' the country of origin for the Auterra filter?

Not a clue. I found some information indicating that they import filters from South Korea, but who really knows?

Quote:
Pureone air filters, or even the standard white (classic?) air filters are the best bang for your buck!

That filter must be pretty bad to make a Fram look that good grin

I almost went for a PureOne filter. But honestly, I've never seen unusual Si levels from Fram filters. This really says something, as the air at the warehouse is literally a light sandstorm on a normal day. There is a lot of soot in the air as well from the diesels. They leave a light coating of pepper on anything that sits outside in no time at all. I did put a PureOne in my Jeep, just for the [censored] of it, but in between not being able to find any tangible advantage in it, and the small hit in fuel economy she has taken, I'm not sure I'll buy another. I'll wait to see how the entire AFCI works out before I make any judgement.

Your "slight hit in mileage" could have occured for many reasons, but it had nothing to do with the air filter. It is no more restrictive than any other. That *slight* bit of oil on there does not increase any type of impedence. Now if you leave it on too long, sure you will see a difference. I change mine every other OCI, but we are right on the ocean, so there is a ton of sand in the air 12 months out of the year.

Filters seem to go for a while, even though we apparently work on Tatooine, where the sandy air is concerned.

I doubt it's the oil causing the restriction. Some filters, like the Delco I use in my Caprice, are more restrictive than others. If it delivers better Si numbers on my next UOA, it's in. If it lasts longer because of higher capacity (like the Delco), I might still stick with it even if it delivers the same on Si.

But if I see media tearing, that f***er is toast.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
laugh.gif

hooked.gif

That filter must be pretty bad to make a Fram look that good
grin.gif

I bought my P1 at AAP for just over $20 with codes. That was just over WM's price for the extra guard by like $3.50.

I have yet to find any other local retailers that sell them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back