Fuel legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Surprised Calif. has not banned gas all together.
They'd have to close the legislature down and fire the governor to get rid of it all.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Solution in search of a problem.

Youre an expert how exactly?

If we get lean stratified charge to run with DI, it will be an excellent thing.
And you ARE?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Solution in search of a problem.

Youre an expert how exactly?

If we get lean stratified charge to run with DI, it will be an excellent thing.

DIs already have ultra lean burn modes.

On the highway a lot of them have programming to run rich for a bit to get the cat up to temperature, then go back lean.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

On the highway a lot of them have programming to run rich for a bit to get the cat up to temperature, then go back lean.

They only run rich on startup and run stratified/ultra lean burn when possible based on RPMs, engine loads and throttle position.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I wonder would top tier fuels suffice their requirement?
No. The ultra low sulfur gasoline that Cali has is above and beyond TopTier. Other states are playing catch-up.

I think part of the higher gasoline price in CA is it costs more to produce special blend, the estimate was about 15-25 cents more than the rest of the country. The other is higher state excise tax and add sale tax on top of whole sale price.
. It's only expensive because California refuses to build more refineries.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Miller88

They only run rich on startup and run stratified/ultra lean burn when possible based on RPMs, engine loads and throttle position.

My understanding is that in the US DI engines are not tuned for lean burn because of the amount of sulphur in the fuel. This is also why the Euro's do not spec ACEA Cx oils for gassers in the US.

Lean burn creates more NOX and sulphur levels in gas would poison the catalysts that would be required to scrub it from the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
My understanding is that in the US DI engines are not tuned for lean burn because of the amount of sulphur in the fuel. This is also why the Euro's do not spec ACEA Cx oils for gassers in the US.

Lean burn creates more NOX and sulphur levels in gas would poison the catalysts that would be required to scrub it from the exhaust.

You are thinking of the older "lean burn" mode. The new DI "ultra lean burn mode" actually reduces NOx emissions.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I wonder would top tier fuels suffice their requirement?
No. The ultra low sulfur gasoline that Cali has is above and beyond TopTier. Other states are playing catch-up.

I think part of the higher gasoline price in CA is it costs more to produce special blend, the estimate was about 15-25 cents more than the rest of the country. The other is higher state excise tax and add sale tax on top of whole sale price.
. It's only expensive because California refuses to build more refineries.

Supply and demand are pretty well aligned, so building more refineries isn't really going to do much. However, we do have issues because fuel can't typically be shipped in from other states. Right now we're dealing with massive price spikes after one refinery had an explosion and another one shut down in a strike. However, that probably has more to do with being a closed market, where one or two players with issues gives an excuse for everyone else to raise prices. That would happen even with more capacity. And we do get more capacity when existing refineries get permits to expand.

Have yet to hear any discussion about the need for this at the track days I attend. My Porsche runs superbly on Costco Kirkland signature.

Is that 93 AKI? It wouldn't be around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back