Hyundai says 0w-20 and 0w-30 would void warranty..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering about someone goes both ways apparently.

First off, your example although funny, is irrational. ExxonMobil is not going to sell camel urine instead of motor oil. What they do sell is some of the best and most widely used conventional and synthetic motor oils money can buy. I'm not a fanboy of them but that statement is true.

Second, this company makes an unqualified statement that AFE 0W-20 can be used in all 5W-20 applications. Once again, it is not camel urine and it's also not Bob's Camels and Dromedaries Inc. that is making the statement. They know what they are talking about and if you don't think they do, then you are not considering the source of the claim.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

You're still ignoring my point to use Mobil AFE 0W-20 in any 5W-20 application without fear of warranty issues.

So if Mobil 1 sold Camel urine and said it wouldn't void warranty using it you would use it or tell people to do so? Who cares what Mobil 1 says about warranty. The one who provides the warranty gets to say what does and does not void it( within legal grounds ).

Man for someone who is supposed to be so smart I have to wonder about you now.

What? You can't be serious making that statement.

OK, what about one of the world's largest oil company making a claim?

Originally Posted By: pscholte
You are dead center on the ultimate issue at stake. Credentials do not matter here, nor whether someone is a tribologist, a mechanical engineer, an ASE certified mechanic or whatever.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What? You can't be serious making that statement.

OK, what about one of the world's largest oil company making a claim?

You are dead center on the ultimate issue at stake. Credentials do not matter here, nor whether someone is a tribologist, a mechanical engineer, an ASE certified mechanic or whatever.

First of all my statement was directed at members of this board and the relative expertise that does or does not reside here. ExxonMobil never entered my mind when I made that statement. But since you brought it up did the crash of 2007-8 not teach you anything about the (un) reliability of large companies? Second do you REALLY think that XOM really believes anyone will have to take them up on this statement? The point here is NOT will M1 0W-20 will actually protect. It is whether, were there a failure, Hyundai would accept the claim. I am dead serious: you all need to learn how to follow the point of a discussion and not chase rabbits. Go back and read what the poster asked. It had to do with Hyundai's position NOT whether M1 was this or that or could do this or that. SHEESH!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Wondering about someone goes both ways apparently.

First off, your example although funny, is irrational. ExxonMobil is not going to sell camel urine instead of motor oil. What they do sell is some of the best and most widely used conventional and synthetic motor oils money can buy. I'm not a fanboy of them but that statement is true.

Second, this company makes an unqualified statement that AFE 0W-20 can be used in all 5W-20 applications. Once again, it is not camel urine and it's also not Bob's Camels and Dromedaries Inc. that is making the statement. They know what they are talking about and if you don't think they do, then you are not considering the source of the claim.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

You're still ignoring my point to use Mobil AFE 0W-20 in any 5W-20 application without fear of warranty issues.

So if Mobil 1 sold Camel urine and said it wouldn't void warranty using it you would use it or tell people to do so? Who cares what Mobil 1 says about warranty. The one who provides the warranty gets to say what does and does not void it( within legal grounds ).

Man for someone who is supposed to be so smart I have to wonder about you now.

The point was simply it doesn't matter what XOM says about Hyundai's warranty. XOM does not provide it. I don't care if XOM is telling me their 0W20 AFE or Camel Urine won't lead to any warranty issues where 5W20 is called for. I will use the 5W20 as spec'd.

What matters is what the car mfg says. In this case the OP's car mfg is Hyundai. All that matters is what they say when the warranty they provide is concerned. Well, that and pertinent law. It isn't about XOM standing behind their product either. It is about XOM making statements about a warranty they do not provide.

I don't understand the mind set of people who listen to aftermarket vendors over the mfg of their product on warranty issues? Car mfg's are limited in what they can use to deny warranty by law, agreed, but it is not like they have no say in what you can do at all. Too many people think they can do whatever they want and there is nothing a car mfg can do as far as denying warranty. WRONG!

Those folks fail to take into account that even if the car mfg is wrong, legally, to deny a claim over an issue they usually try anyway and will fight you in court over it. They win a good % of those cases. Even if the vehicle owner wins it is a lengthy and at times expensive process with no guarantee the car owner's wins even if right.

So, I simply ask, is using 0W20, when 5W20 is called for, really worth the "potential risk" of a warranty battle with the car mfg for the OP? Throw out the thinking that 0W20 won't do harm( I agree ) ,or, that engine failures are rare( I also agree ). That is not the point here. The point is does it provide a risk of hassle from Hyundai should the OP suffer one of those rare, but not impossible, engine failures? For me it isn't worth the risk and especially when Hyundai has already told the OP not to do it. 0W20 is not so amazingly superior to 5W20 synthetic that it is worth a potential fight with Hyundai over a repair that runs in the many thousands.

5W20 synthetic will do just fine in the OP's vehicle. Both he and Hyundai will be happy. It makes NO SENSE to do otherwise until his warranty is out. If you are worried about your warranty, as the OP seems to be, then just do what the owner's manual says. Don't experiment and try and justify doing something else. If you don't care about your warranty or you are prepared to go to court to defend what you have done then do whatever you want.

In the OP's situation I could care less what XOM says about their 0W20 AFE not causing any warranty problems where a 5W20 is called for. Especially seeing as he is dealing with Hyundai who is a notorious stickler for details on warranty.

Just not worth it to me.

Last edited:
5W20 synthetic will do just fine in the OP's vehicle. Both he and Hyundai will be happy. It makes NO SENSE to do otherwise until his warranty is out. If you are worried about your warranty, as the OP seems to be, then just do what the owner's manual says. Don't experiment and try and justify doing something else. If you don't care about your warranty or you are prepared to go to court to defend what you have done then do whatever you want.

I'm on board with most of this, but unless Hyundai calls for a 5W-20 synthetic in the manual, then a 5W-20 conventional will work just as well to lubricate the engine, satisfy the warranty, and reduce maintenance costs. Synthetic over conventional won't buy you anything tangible at all.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo

I'm on board with most of this, but unless Hyundai calls for a 5W-20 synthetic in the manual, then a 5W-20 conventional will work just as well to lubricate the engine, satisfy the warranty, and reduce maintenance costs. Synthetic over conventional won't buy you anything tangible at all.

The OP wants to run synthetic and was talking about 0W20 as well. No conventional 0W20 available so when making recommendations you have to keep in mind what the OP asked about and respond accordingly.

So 5W20 synthetic is the appropriate oil for the OP based on what he said he wanted. Yes, 5W20 conventional will do fine as well. Just not what the OP wanted to run.

I disagree that synthetics provide no benefits over conventional but there is enough arguing in this thread as is and I want to keep it on track.

Last edited:
The OP wants to run synthetic and was talking about 0W20 as well. No conventional 0W20 available. So 5W20 synthetic is the appropriate oil for the OP based on what he said he wanted. yes, 5W20 conventional will do fine as well. Just not what the OP wanted to run.

I disagree that synthetics provide no benefits over conventional but there is enough arguing in this thread as is and I want to keep it on track.

If Hyundai calls for 5W-20 conventional, and they're sticklers for warranties, then I would run 5W-20 conventional and quit worrying about it. Synthetic isn't going to change anything at all, but it could give Hyundai a reason to fight on a warranty claim because they didn't call for or specifically approve synthetic motor oil. If they're going to warranty it for 10 years and they say conventional is fine, then I don't believe a synthetic is going to buy the OP or the car a single thing.

But since you brought it up did the crash of 2007-8 not teach you anything about the (un) reliability of large companies?

So, are you suggesting that using 0w20 oil in a Hyundai caused the market crash of 2008?
lol.gif
I knew those thin oils wreck everything...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
The OP wants to run synthetic and was talking about 0W20 as well. No conventional 0W20 available. So 5W20 synthetic is the appropriate oil for the OP based on what he said he wanted. yes, 5W20 conventional will do fine as well. Just not what the OP wanted to run.

If Hyundai calls for 5W-20 conventional, and they're sticklers for warranties, then I would run 5W-20 conventional and quit worrying about it. Synthetic isn't going to change anything at all, but it could give Hyundai a reason to fight on a warranty claim because they didn't call for or specifically approve synthetic motor oil. If they're going to warranty it for 10 years and they say conventional is fine, then I don't believe a synthetic is going to buy the OP or the car a single thing.

There will be no hassle for using the correct weight and rated 5W20 synthetic as long as it is changed on time.

Again, synthetic vs conventional, and the benefits or not of using them, is not the point and is off topic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AEHaas
I have used 0W-20 grade oils in 500-600-700 BHP sports cars for around 10 years now, some cars having twin turbos. There have been no blow-ups so far. Used oil analysis has shown normal or even sub-normal wear and tear. This is in Florida where the mean startup temperature is above 70F.

The main road just outside the neighborhood has a speed limit of 55 MPH for a short distance so high RPM is often required with an ice cold engine every time we leave the house.

I have recently loaded up on Motorcraft 5W-20 to put in the Lambo in a few months - the next (and long awaited) experiment.

aehaas

Interesting..

[censored]..what did I start!!.. :p Just for the record, I think I will stick with a synthetic 5w-20 till the wrranty, even though I would be better off with a 0w-20 for the winter, as someone else experienced in his KIA 2.0 (the 2.4 GDI engine does sound quieter on cold winter days at startup with a 0w compared to a 5w)

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
[censored]..what did I start!!.. :p Just for the record, I think I will stick with a synthetic 5w-20 till the wrranty, even though I would be better off with a 0w-20 for the winter, as someone else experienced in his KIA 2.0 (the 2.4 GDI engine does sound quieter on cold winter days at startup with a 0w compared to a 5w)

No problem bud. Happens all the time here.

You will be just fine with a quality 5W20 synthetic even in the winter. Don't fret over the 0W20 thing.

Or as recommended in your oil cap, so stick to 0w20 for cold start.

[...]but our engineers informed us that the best recommended grade can be found on the cap of your oil tank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rikstaker

It's interesting how people say both thicker and thinner oils quiet their engines.

Just stick with the options given in the Owner's Manual. It makes life that much simpler.

My 2010 Gen Coupe 2L turbo came with an oil cap that says 5w20. I assume it was also the factory fill. But the manual says anything up to 10w30 too.

Since 2011 they put 5w30 as the minimum though and go up to 10w40. I use either 0w30 or 0w40 in it.

My '08 Accent loves the 0w20AFE M1. Have over 60k miles using this oil with 7500 mile OCI. Just switched to 0w20EXP M1 as it is the same price. Going to 10k mile OCI as it is out of warranty now.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
My 2010 Gen Coupe 2L turbo came with an oil cap that says 5w20. I assume it was also the factory fill. But the manual says anything up to 10w30 too.

Since 2011 they put 5w30 as the minimum though and go up to 10w40. I use either 0w30 or 0w40 in it.

I believe the bump up in viscosity directly correlates to the substantial power increase from 210 to 274 bhp, correct?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

I believe the bump up in viscosity directly correlates to the substantial power increase from 210 to 274 bhp, correct?

Could be. I don't have the 2012 OM. The bump came in 2013. The 2011 OM still is at the 5w20 minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back