5w20 verses 5w30 in other countries without cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often hear from people that like heavier oil in their engines things like in other countries the same engine that requires 5w20 here requires a heavier oil in another country for the same exact engine. Where do you find this stuff and how do you know they are the same exact engines. I also hear a lot about cafe
Im just looking for opinions i have asked these questions at engine seminars to a rep from ford, Chrysler and toyota and got a few different opinions from them also.

The problem here is that even if the higher viscosity oil might be a little bit better over the long run the new 20 weight oils are much better than the 30 weight oils of a few years ago and they will probably not be the limiting factor when it comes to your engine life. If you are worried then spend a bit more and get a good synthetic 20 weight oil and follow your owner's manual severe duty schedule. In many situations your engine will out live the rest of your vehicle. Often times the engine out lives your interest in keeping the vehicle. Long gone are the days when shops rebuilt engines as a regular part of their business.

Engines are not the same. For emission purpose and drivibility they are most often tuned different. That doesnt mean they will not run just fine on heavier weight but i call B.S. that they are the same engines.

It's true. AFAIK, 20 grade doesn't really 'exist' outside the USA. Here in Europe, you wouldn't really find even 30 grade in supermarkets. The only thirties I've ever seen on the shelves were meant for lawn mowers.
It's 40 grade (sometimes 50) all the way here.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Engines are not the same. For emission purpose and drivibility they are most often tuned different. That doesnt mean they will not run just fine on heavier weight but i call B.S. that they are the same engines.

Same bearing diameters and lengths, same clearances, same pistons and rings, same thermostat operating temperatures...I call B.S. on the B.S.

Different advance curves and injector timing can't possibly change an oil grade requirement.

edit...sorry, the oil cap IS different between the US sold engines and the Australian ones...ours says "oil", or has a picture of an oil can...yours has a grade, and often it's an economy grade

Last edited:
Europe has CAFE...They call it CO2 limits.
You will now start to see more 0w20 oil specs in Europe.
Let's see how well it handles the German Autobahn.

We have no emission regulations in NZ, no reason for us to use a 5-20...unless it's cheaper than 15-40.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Europe has CAFE...They call it CO2 limits.
You will now start to see more 0w20 oil specs in Europe.
Let's see how well it handles the German Autobahn.

I'd love to see that one!

Last edited:
In my wifes 08 Mazda 3 it says when operated oustide the US to use 5w30.

In what way?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
...the new 20 weight oils are much better than the 30 weight oils of a few years ago...

Funny thing...
Valvoline Europe recomends the same oils for both my vehicles with a few variances. Concerning the 2.4. It changes the order of recommendation to 5w30 then 5w40 and 5w20. My manual lists 5w20 (on cap), 5w30 then 10w30, but no 5w40.

The 2.0T (although listed as USA model), on the other hand, lists the same 5w30 as primary and so on with 5w40 etc. The one surprising thing is that they also recommend a 0w30 which is know where to be found in U.S. manual that gives us the 10w30 instead. What is very different is the omission of conventional oil as a recommendation and OCI for the 2.4.

http://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com...481688b6901e8e1

http://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com...465a99f4180232d

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
In what way?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
...the new 20 weight oils are much better than the 30 weight oils of a few years ago...

"Much better"? I am wondering the same thing...

The problem is that people do not realize that choosing Xw20 or Xw30 oil has no measurable effect on engine life, at least in NA consumer grade vehicles, not used commercially and provided that they are spec-ed for Xw20 oils. All the discussions and big debates we have here are purely theoretical, although most people participating in said discussions may believe otherwise.
There is a small percentage of people that qualify to use a grade heavier oil, but I'm sure the owner's manuals cover such scenarios.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The problem is that people do not realize that choosing Xw20 or Xw30 oil has no measurable effect on engine life, at least in NA consumer grade vehicles, not used commercially and provided that they are spec-ed for Xw20 oils. All the discussions and big debates we have here are purely theoretical, although most people participating in said discussions may believe otherwise.
There is a small percentage of people that qualify to use a grade heavier oil, but I'm sure the owner's manuals cover such scenarios.

^Agreed^

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

^^^ This!

Gasoline to gasoline engines, do the engines in Europe or elsewhere last longer than the ones in the US? If not (and I do not think there is a vast discrepancy), and other than having something to discuss what does it matter anyway? The comments about xW-20 not working well on the Autobahn are no different than one of the US Mustang models specifying xW-50--it is all about the operating conditions. I daresay for the "normal" vehicle and except for the most extreme conditions, xW-20 would work as well in any country on the planet.

In about 15 years or so, I predict the conversations will be how the engines in the US are specified for xW-8/12/16 and most other countries are using xW-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back