Oil turning dark less than 20 miles after change??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Delta
I don't have an exact mile, but when I bought my MKV Jetta I was cleaning up the previous owners crud with a high detergent oil and it got dark quick. Now, not so much. I ran Rotella T6 to clean it up, nothing unusual. Went to a 0W40 after that.

EDIT: Btw that rattling could be the plastic intake rudder thing, common on VR6's. I'd check that before someone drops the engine out of that thing for a timing chain kit.

Yes sir I hate those intake changeovers. 2 days after I bought the car I heard that thing rattling around 2000 rpm and my heart sank. I thought it was a knock, but after hearing it outside the car, I determined it was something up top. A little research pointed me to that and I changed the bushings out. But yea my rattle is definitely the chains. Coming from the back side of the engine. Which if I'm honest was a brilliant idea for them to put them there. So much more room on that side of the engine bay, and the transmission isn't really hard to get out. Plus its clutch is starting to let out close to the top so 2 birds with one stone. I like that approach. I see you have a MK5. If it's the 2.5 have you had any problems with your vacuum pump? I heard those suckers will pour oil when it goes bad. But I'm a little short on cash at the moment, so I'm hoping a couple week's driving won't hurt anything. Apparently I ran non 502 for 8k so maybe it'll be ok. But I am absolutely going to either M1 0w-40 or 5w-40. Whichever I can get my hands on in the store.

Originally Posted By: Red00Jetta
I see you have a MK5. If it's the 2.5 have you had any problems with your vacuum pump? I heard those suckers will pour oil when it goes bad.

Hah, yup 2.5 I-5 (it like the VR6 has an odd personality of it own...) and at 62K and it's leaking little by little. It's a couple drops during my 5K OCI. At first I thought it was my main seal, but upon further investigation, it's the vacuum pump. It isn't leaking on the driveway yet, and nothing noticeable on the dipstick yet. It's super easy to do on mine since it's the 5 speed manual. Some guys have gotten away with siliconing the seal, but I'm a little leery of that.

Remember, Volkswagens don't leak oil, they mark their territory
wink.gif

Remember, Volkswagens don't leak oil, they mark their territory
wink.gif

Lol I say that about that old 7.3. Back when I first met my lady I would drive that big monstrosity to her house and she'd complain about a few drops on her driveway. I'd say well, it's marking its territory, and any other cars that come around will cower in fear. Or I'd say look lady, I have to be nice to it, you go tell it not to [censored] on your driveway lol. She must have found it humorous because she's still here to this day. Have you seen the humble mechanic's video on the vac pump? He describes how it fails

Last edited:
Have you seen the humble mechanic's video on the vac pump? He describes how it fails

Yup, subscribed to him on YouTube along with ThomasEXOVCDS. He's got a video of resealing the outer seal that fails.

The Prado Diesel seems to burn quite clean, 2 weeks after the oil change and i can barely see the oil on the dipstick. (Didnt drive it much though)

Last edited:
Have you seen the humble mechanic's video on the vac pump? He describes how it fails

Yup, subscribed to him on YouTube along with ThomasEXOVCDS. He's got a video of resealing the outer seal that fails.

I really enjoy ThomasEXOVCDS' videos.

Admittedly I did run an 8000 mile OCI this time.

That's it right there. You went 8000 miles on an O'Reilly oil that's very bland.

Then you switched to a spicy synthetic by Conoco-Phillips that cleans very well.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Admittedly I did run an 8000 mile OCI this time.

That's it right there. You went 8000 miles on an O'Reilly oil that's very bland.

Then you switched to a spicy synthetic by Conoco-Phillips that cleans very well.

Maybe I'll let it clean for a bit then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back