Dewalt 20volt 1/2 Impact Gun, my diety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, this thing is amazing. I thinking about get an air compressor, and got this instead. Much better in my opinion, and 400FTs, and a variable speed trigger. It has made my life so much better.

I have a snap on electric impact wrench rated for 400 ft lbs, and I totally agree that it rocks, but just to make you a bit jealous check out the Ingersoll Rand w7150 k1. 1100 ft lbs break away and 780 useful

Originally Posted By: hansj3
I have a snap on electric impact wrench rated for 400 ft lbs, and I totally agree that it rocks, but just to make you a bit jealous check out the Ingersoll Rand w7150 k1. 1100 ft lbs break away and 780 useful

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you!

Originally Posted By: hansj3

Man, 1100 ft lbs, what to use that on truckasaurus? But, really that is amazing, but way out of my needs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have the milwaukee fuel, which is as strong as the IR, and it couldn't take off the seized lugs that I estimate at 400 ft-lb seizure...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ess#Post3636174

To be fair, I live in the deep south, so we see only surface rust. The worst on lugs is, when the tire guys runs the lugs down to 500FT lbs. Fun fact, me standing on a harbor fright breaker to get one lug off my moms cruiser, equals around 450lb. Chrysler used Dwarven metals on those studs. They didn't break, lug nuts, not so much.

Cheap used air compressor off Craigslist:$40

Harbor Frieght 700 ft lbs Earthquake 1/2 impact:$75

Way more powerful than battery powered and never have to worry about replacing batteries: priceless

I have a Sears Craftsman that gets the job done as long as you have a hot battery. I estimate it is good to loosen and tighten to about 120ft lbs. But all of my lug nuts get 80 so Im good.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Way more powerful than battery powered and never have to worry about replacing batteries: priceless

yeah but I carry my battery one on trips in the trunk
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog

grin.gif

if you want an air powered impact, home depot has good ones for cheap.

grin.gif

If you just kept in the trunk, I doubt it will work when you would need. Battery most likely will not be able to hold the charge for that long.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

grin.gif

If you just kept in the trunk, I doubt it will work when you would need. Battery most likely will not be able to hold the charge for that long.

NiCad no, LiIon yes.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Vikas

grin.gif

NiCad no, LiIon yes.

It is LiIon, and you can charge them quickly. It is not hard to do.

I have an air gun, but the amount of air and downtime with those is a waste. Technology has come in, and is making pneumatic tools obsolete.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tezzzas

I have an air gun, but the amount of air and downtime with those is a waste. Technology has come in, and is making pneumatic tools obsolete.

I don't think so. My pneumatic will still be working in 20-30 years. My dad has a 30-35 year old Snap On air impact that still works perfect. Battery powered tools will have long been obsoleted by lack of replacement parts and new batteries. Manufacturers only support the electric tool for 5-10 years tops and then change to a new "upgraded" style battery, so that, surprise, you keep buying more tools.

Battery powered has its place (on a job site). At home or in a shop, air still wins and will always win.

I think it depends. If your a shop or tire place and use the impact wrench daily, then air is probably best as its lighter, can take more abuse and can run continuously (if the air can keep up).

But if you use a impact wrench a few times a week, the cordless may be a better.

What has come along way is the punch a cordless impact wrench can deliver and the long use and shelf life of the battery pack.

I don't think so. My pneumatic will still be working in 20-30 years. My dad has a 30-35 year old Snap On air impact that still works perfect. Battery powered tools will have long been obsoleted by lack of replacement parts and new batteries. Manufacturers only support the electric tool for 5-10 years tops and then change to a new "upgraded" style battery, so that, surprise, you keep buying more tools.

Battery powered has its place (on a job site). At home or in a shop, air still wins and will always win.

Well, of course you would want the new models, they are better electric tools. Why waste time with old stuff, when you can get something better.

Well, of course you would want the new models, they are better electric tools. Why waste time with old stuff, when you can get something better.

Well an air impact could last 30 years or you could spend $300 every 5-7 years on a new battery powered impact? That's 10-15 times the comparable cost for a tool over it's lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back