Spark Plug Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, IN BRIEF:
Friend's S-10 with the V-6.
Middle plug on the left bank has the steering column right in front of it.
It's a known pain in the lower back.
Friend had a shorter socket which could get on the plug.
Cracked it loose, removed the socket and unscrewed the plug.

CONCLUSION: Keep overall length in mind.
EPILOG: The other 5 plugs are easily accessed through the splash flaps of the front suspension. Kira

it all depends on the vehicle. Most inline-4's are very easy compared to Subaru H-4 or H-6 layouts.

Some V6 and v8 are easy many have one easy bank and one terrible.

Esp. truck's and vans can have easy front ones and impossible to reach(or see) back plugs.

The hard vehicles are where you need different sockets or sizes.

FWIW my standard rubber insert cobalt spark plug socket works great on 90%+

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I hate the ones with a rubber boot in the socket. It always comes out and stays on the plug and can be a real pain to get off the plug. I have removed all those from mine.
I glued mine in with Gorrilla Glue.

I prefer the spark plug sockets with the rubber inserts - they keep the plug centered and protect the ceramic insulator from getting knocked around inside the socket.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I prefer the spark plug sockets with the rubber inserts - they keep the plug centered and protect the ceramic insulator from getting knocked around inside the socket.

Nothing like fiddling around with long nose pliers down the back hole of an Expedition 5.4 with rear heat and A/C to retrieve a rubber insert off a plug socket that came out and cant get the bloody socket back on over it.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Nothing like fiddling around with long nose pliers down the back hole of an Expedition 5.4 with rear heat and A/C to retrieve a rubber insert off a plug socket that came out and cant get the bloody socket back on over it.

LOL!!! Yeah, that sounds like a dream come true
wink.gif
The worst plug in the world to change.

You don't want to find out. lol

Well, I use a Snap-On socket that doesn't have that problem, because you are right, LOL!

LOL. I never had that problem on my Chevrolets. And people wonder why I don't like fords!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

LOL!!! Yeah, that sounds like a dream come true
wink.gif
The worst plug in the world to change.

I just had to deal with the same situation, but on a different situation. I ended up having to rip the boot in order to get it off the plug. Not fun...

I bought one of those Snap-On retention style sockets recently. It works surprisingly well. I only paid $10 for it, as it was slightly used and at a pawn shop.

I have heard good reviews for the Hazet spark plug sockets with the spring inside.

Any truth to the rumor not to use magnetic spark plug sockets which attach directly to the coil? Something about the magnetism of the socket transfers to the plug, and then later affects the coil.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks guys.

What do you folks think about Snap-On's tapered style sockets? They use some sort of tapered setup to keep the plug in place...and this is in lieu of the magnet or rubber boot.

https://store.snapon.com/Retention-Socket-Spark-Plug-Standard-Retention-5-8-6-Point-P644224.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDY5VsgbKUo

Last edited:
I bought a Williams spark plug socket off ebay.

Real good socket and it cost less than one single ACDelco Iridium spark plug!

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
i use the socket with the rubber insert to remove them and then a regular socket to install them.

I do this with one modification - I'll use the rubber insert socket to get the plug in and finger tight. Then I'll use a regular socket for the final tightening. This way you get the benefit of the rubber insert without having to worry about it staying on the plug when you pull the ratchet/extension off.

jeff

Just proves the concept of advantages having a good tool in place of several half-way-there ones..

Originally Posted By: drtyler
I bought one of those Snap-On retention style sockets recently. It works surprisingly well. I only paid $10 for it, as it was slightly used and at a pawn shop.

I have heard good reviews for the Hazet spark plug sockets with the spring inside.

Any truth to the rumor not to use magnetic spark plug sockets which attach directly to the coil? Something about the magnetism of the socket transfers to the plug, and then later affects the coil.

No truth to the magnet affecting the coil myth, i have been using them for many years and never had or even heard of any trouble.
I have a 13/16 spring finger insert Hazet, its good and the springs are replaceable cheap.
The magnetic is better but also cost a bit more.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I need some new spark plug sockets.

I am considering the retention style and the magnetic style - what do you folks recommend?

Gear Wrench 5/8" x 6" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket Absolutely love this, has been totally worth every penny I have spent on it, and obviously it works flawlessly.

This is a great tool. It's perfect for my Toyotas where the sparkplugs go straight down into the engine. Easy to remove them and easy to thread them back in.

I have some duralast magnetic spark plugs sockets, and I love them. I warrantied them out after 50+ spark plug changes, after the chrome started to peel. New set works great.

01_celica_gt, thanks for the gear wrench suggestion, I got it from a friend and it works like acharm. Never thought I could change the sparkplugs of my Corolla so easily. Also, I have this oldSuzuki wagon with worn out threads of sparkplugs. I mean the place where we insert the sparkplugs, apologies for the use of non-technical terms. If anyone could suggest anything to fix that,would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back