Best filtration and efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that everyone on here has their favorite filter, but has there been any media or specific research published on which filter has the best filtration ability? A lot of manufacturers are not extremely forthcoming with this information, but I have seen manufacturers advertise 99% efficiency at 20 microns, 25 microns etc. Having said that, is there any one filter (besides a bypass system) that is definitevly the most efficient when it comes to microns and filtration? Or does this even matter? Surely there has to be contaminants smaller than 20 microns floating around an engine. Im not trying to start a war, just research other filters for future use.

Fram Ultra is 99%+ @20 microns and 80% efficient at 5 microns. This information comes from Fram, but no reason to doubt them because if they weren't meeting their claims they would be an easy target.

No other manufacturer posts higher numbers than that.

That being said I do not think oil filtration is such a big deal when compared to the importance of air filtration.

As for the efficiency, these are the posted numbers for the filters I use currently:

Royal Purple Extended Life: 99% @ 25 microns

Purolator Synthetic: 99% @ 25 microns

Pureone: 99% @ 20 microns IIRC (their website is down currently)

Mopar MO90: Cant find any info

I was just wondering if there was any filter that could do better.

I agree with the importance of air filtration as well. I use a Pureone in my truck and regular (non-oiled) filter in the SUV. I end up changing them every other OCI (we live so close to the ocean that there is always sand everywhere in the air 12 months a year)

I can say with confidence that for the money the Fram Ultra is best in this regard for an OTC filter. Hands down.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
As for the efficiency, these are the posted numbers for the filters I use currently:

Mopar MO90: Cant find any info

I was just wondering if there was any filter that could do better.

I agree with the importance of air filtration as well. I use a Pureone in my truck and regular (non-oiled) filter in the SUV. I end up changing them every other OCI (we live so close to the ocean that there is always sand everywhere in the air 12 months a year)

The PureONE efficiency is lower for certain part numbers, such as the 14610. It's 99% at 40 microns.

The PureOne is actually 99.9% @ 20 microns, which means it's also pretty good below 20 microns (like the FU). Any filters that are say 99%+ @ 20 microns will all have very similar "filtration efficiency % vs micron size" curves. Also keep in mind that some of the PureOnes have a 99.9% @ 40 micron rating - like the PL14610 for instance. And I was told by Purolator at one time that ALL their cartridge filters are @ 40 microns instead of 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Ultra is 99%+ @20 microns and 80% efficient at 5 microns. This information comes from Fram, but no reason to doubt them because if they weren't meeting their claims they would be an easy target.

No other manufacturer posts higher numbers than that.

That being said I do not think oil filtration is such a big deal when compared to the importance of air filtration.

Agree.

If dust is prevented getting into the engine with good air filter, oil filter doesn't have to work hard to remove it from the oil.

What about real life oil flow its great that a filter can filter things almost too small to see but what about flow if a filter is so great at trapping things that are almost invisible to most eyes how can it let the oil through and keep it flowing fast?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What about real life oil flow its great that a filter can filter things almost too small to see but what about flow if a filter is so great at trapping things that are almost invisible to most eyes how can it let the oil through and keep it flowing fast?

It's been awhile since this has been linked. Note that this is for a PureOne - "known" to be restrictive. Fact is, that it's really not flow restrictive. And other high efficiency has similar or even slightly better flow curves - see page 3 and beyond in this link.

This is how most good oil filters flow <--- Link

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Why are you in the market for other filters all of the sudden? Lol.

I'm not. I was just wondering if there was any filter that went below 20 microns. But it seems like 20 microns is pretty much the standard

My LF9028's filter well below 20 microns, but they're not your average filter.
wink.gif
They're dual-flow (bypass filter and full-flow in the same can) filters designed for Cummins engines.

I know that everyone on here has their favorite filter, but has there been any media or specific research published on which filter has the best filtration ability? A lot of manufacturers are not extremely forthcoming with this information, but I have seen manufacturers advertise 99% efficiency at 20 microns, 25 microns etc. Having said that, is there any one filter (besides a bypass system) that is definitevly the most efficient when it comes to microns and filtration? Or does this even matter? Surely there has to be contaminants smaller than 20 microns floating around an engine. Im not trying to start a war, just research other filters for future use.

Depends upon how you define what "matters".

There is LOTS of efficiency data to show certain brands (at the top tier) do a great job of reducing a particulate load at given measured levels. That is all lab testing and it translates to theory of operation.

OTOH, there's real world data in UOA analysis and anecdotal observations.

I see ZERO proof that it matters in the work-a-day world. There are a bazillion of Toyota and Honda vehicles on the road that run OEM filters that are about as loose as a kitchen strainer, but that does not stop them from running a quater-million miles or more.

Plenty of cars on the road that run moderately efficient filters.
Plenty of cars on the road that run highly efficient filters.
I see no data to draw a clear conclusion that filtration efficiency above "normal" will make any tangible difference in the long-term ownership and costs of operation.

Do you need a decent filter? Absolutely yes. A filter is an important thing to have.
Do you need a top-tier filter? Absolutely not. It's not an important thing to obsess over.

So you need to define how it matters, to know if it matters.
Or more specifically, what you want and what your engine needs to give a long life are two totally differnt things.

Last edited:

I'm not. I was just wondering if there was any filter that went below 20 microns. But it seems like 20 microns is pretty much the standard

The spec may not include the below 20 micron numbers but they are removing at less than 20. Fram Ultra is 80% at 5micron which is better than some at 20!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It's been awhile since this has been linked. Note that this is for a PureOne - "known" to be restrictive. Fact is, that it's really not flow restrictive. And other high efficiency has similar or even slightly better flow curves - see page 3 and beyond in this link.

This is how most good oil filters flow div>
The Tough Guard looks like its the most restrictive filter on the chart.

Sure, filters also filter below 20 microns. But as said, the better it is at 20, then the better it will be at below 20 compared to a filter not good at 20. 20 microns is just the common "baseline" particle size to compare efficiencies at.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

This is how most good oil filters flow div>
The Tough Guard looks like its the most restrictive filter on the chart.

Could be ... but keep in mind that chart has been around for a long time. I remember seeing it on the internet in 2002. Media formulation changes and improvements can be made, so hard to say if that graph still holds true or not.

Bypass filter systems are the way to go if you want ultra filtration.

But why?

Anything with efficiency at 50% @ 20 microns will do just fine at normal OCI's.

Even the "best" off-the-rack filters spit up unfiltered oil though the bypass on a cold day like today.

It would have to be a pretty cold day and the throttle smashed pretty hard 5 seconds after a cold start-up. Jim Allen real life delta-p data acquisition pretty much confirms that.

Once oil is somewhat warmed up, it's very hard to get a filter to go into bypass unless the filter is really clogged up. Staying off the throttle as much as possible until the oil warms up will ensure the bypass valve stays closed.

I don't use purolater anything anymore so it really dont matter to me so much these days but with a pure one i hear ticking for the first few seconds so i don't care what the "data" shows in my book it's restrictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back