2011 Nissan Sentra CVT trans fluid question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greeting Everyone:

My 2011 Sentra with the CVT has 75,932 miles on it as of this morning. I have not yet changed the CVT fluid as the car runs well and I was hoping to run it to 100,000 miles before changing. I changed my oil this morning and as I was laying on the garage floor the thought of changing the CVT fluid popped into my head......and so did BITOG, thus the questions. My questions are these:

1. Should I change the fluid now or wait to 100K?
2. What type of replacement fluid should I use? I don't want to go to the Stealership as they are a rip off no matter what type of service you want. I know Amsoil makes a CVT as does Valvoline. What about Redline? Price isn't a factor as the trans doesn't hold that much. Quality, protection and longevity of the fluid so the CVT lasts a loooooong time is the goal.

I live in Atlanta and the vehicle sees a total daily commute of ~50 miles.

you could just get the OEM fluid at the dealer and DIY for savings and peace of mind.

Changing the fluid is not so expensive, doing it now is up to you.

I would change it now and use only Nissan fluid. the maintenance schedule for my sentra calls for replacement at 50k. I presume that yours is the same? I know that many people have taken theirs to the dealer for replacement - and they dealer scanned the powertrain computer that keeps track of the fluid life - according to that, the dealer will frequently say that a fluid change is not needed. regardless of continuous upgrades, the CVT's continue to cause some problems - although except for complete failure, I believe that many of the complaints are simply that people don't like the feel of the cvt. anyway, I will be changing mine at 50k with Nissan fluid (even though I am a huge fan of amsoil) in order to keep my warranty (and any chance of a secret warranty) intact. these cvt's cost several thousand dollars to replace. these are built by Jatco, which is substantially owned by Nissan. jatco also make them for Chrysler and many others...

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I have personally used the Valvoline CVTF in my Subaru, 2 drain and fills so far. It is still working just fine.

None of the brands you mention have actual certs, for Subaru, and probably not for Nissan either.

The Valvoline is reasonably economical, and available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ4FGIK/ref=...JEMPZ&psc=1

What prompted you to change it? Subaru says it's supposed to last pretty much the lifetime of the vehicle in most cases. 2 changes in a car I assume is less than 5 years old???????

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I have personally used the Valvoline CVTF in my Subaru, 2 drain and fills so far. It is still working just fine.

None of the brands you mention have actual certs, for Subaru, and probably not for Nissan either.

The Valvoline is reasonably economical, and available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ4FGIK/ref=...JEMPZ&psc=1

What prompted you to change it? Subaru says it's supposed to last pretty much the lifetime of the vehicle in most cases. 2 changes in a car I assume is less than 5 years old???????

Well, Subaru has backtracked considerably since they originally called the CVT "Sealed" with "Lifetime fluid". Now, the general recommendation seems to be first drain/fill at 60k......Which I did. I did another at 75k, since I am anal, and a drain/fill only changes 50% of the fluid. I will be doing subsequent drain/fills every 30k, after I do one more at 90k.

Whenever one of these CVTs fails, Subaru has been quick to blame it on the fluid not being checked for condition at 60k, which was always a requirement.

Do you have any idea how to check CVT fluid for condition? Neither do I, nor does a Subaru dealer. So.......The safest thing to do is change it, to my way of thinking.

If your Sentra has the warranty extension, then OE fluid at least until the warranty period runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back