Some of you guys got geezer internet.
I get 30mb download speeds all day long from comcast

And you pay outrageous prices too.

It is just internet after all, sure it is worth more than the
tv service, but not worth that much.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Why do you only drive a Cobalt when you could be driving an Impala or a Silverado? Presumably because you don't need that much of a car/truck. Similarly, not everyone needs 30 Mbps d/l speeds. It all depends on what they're using it for. For basic internet browsing and email, 2 Mbps is sufficient.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

And you pay outrageous prices too.

It is just internet after all, sure it is worth more than the
tv service, but not worth that much.

my internet is paid by my job. even if I paid for my own internet, I would at least get the performance tier. performance tier from comcast is the mid range tier which is close to 30 mb download speeds. not outrageous if you ask me.

I got rid of TW's modem and router years and years ago. TW will tell you on their site (requires some looking) which modems will work with their service. I bought a factory refurb Motorola modem about 6-7 years ago for $24 off of ebay. Still does the job just fine. Paid $99 for an ASUS (T-mobile) router recently to upgrade what I had. Point being it can be done quite reasonably and the payback time is short.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Hokiefyd, I don't know if you care, but here are cleaned up links from your last post...

What do you mean, "cleaned up links"? Do mine not work on your computer? When I click on them, they work for me. ?

I have a Motorola/ARRIS Surfboard 6141, SonicWall TZ180 and (3) Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR wireless access points. Two SSIDs configured on the APs -- Home and Guest. Guest resides on the same subnet but is fire-walled off and only allowed to go out to the internet. Cable feed for modem comes into the house in the basement. Cable modem, SonicWall and 16-port smart switch are in the basement. 5-port smart switch is in the shop. All of the APs use proprietary POE injectors that sit right before the device.

Maybe someday if I get a newer SonicWall I'll setup some VLANs, but I see no need for that now.

I have TWC 15x1mb and am very happy. Internet is peppy and performs well. Not a hiccup from the modem or SonicWall in the past year or so. They both sit on a UPS. The access points are excellent. One in the middle of the house downstairs, one in the middle of the house upstairs and one in the shop via a couple hundred foot run of direct burial CAT6 in conduit.

The long range UniFi AP-LRs have a range of 600 feet! I am somewhat brainwashed into not liking any consumer grade equipment. Probably the stuff I'd like already closes in on business grade equipment but with less features.

Everything works very well, a lot of the time its not the bandwidth package you have, but crummy equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back