2016 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I believe the 9 speed transmission is made by ZF.

It is. It's the same ZF 9HP transmission used in the Acura TLX, Chrysler 200, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Renegade, Ram ProMaster City, Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport, and probably a few others.

Wow. When did Honda decide to not go at it alone on the transmissions?

Originally Posted By: itguy08
When did Honda decide to not go at it alone on the transmissions?

The ZF 9HP is the only non-Honda transmission they're using now...at least to my knowledge.

I personally think it makes sense to out-source transmissions. For any company. You have suppliers whose bread-and-butter is building transmissions. Folks like ZF, Aisin, etc. I just don't think it makes good business sense for OEMs to spend the R&D dollars to conjure up their own transmission designs when proven solutions are out there.

I suppose this position would extend to engines, too, but I feel different about that for some reason. Seems that the engine is the "soul" of the car, and it'd be odd to not have a Ford engine in a Ford, or a Honda engine in a Honda. It has happened, though. Honda J35s in Saturn Vues. Ford/Mazda sharing engines. I guess this is sort of a moot point, though...there are no "engine" companies out there like ZF and Aisin for transmissions.

I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show when I was on business. Meh. Looks like a overgrown CR-V with a dash of Fit/Insight. People will still buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back