No more stinking up the house when cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'm just curious-is there a reason why you can't correct the issues with the kitchen ventilation? A decent vent hood combined with proper exhaust shouldn't be difficult to install, and you won't have to go outside every time you want to really cook.

This is at our rental apt. These units have not been designed to vent to the outside. Any modifications are out of the question.

Ah-I understand. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I'm sure lots of kitchens don't have the stove on an outside wall, which might make retro fitting a big job...

An inside wall, unless it's a vaulted kitchen ceiling, would make it even easier to retrofit. Just run the duct straight up into the attic and through the roof. On an inside wall you've most likely got plenty of room to work in the attic, as opposed to an outside wall where you may be trying to work in an acute attic corner.

I'm just curious-is there a reason why you can't correct the issues with the kitchen ventilation? A decent vent hood combined with proper exhaust shouldn't be difficult to install, and you won't have to go outside every time you want to really cook.

This is at our rental apt. These units have not been designed to vent to the outside. Any modifications are out of the question.

Ah-I understand. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I'm sure lots of kitchens don't have the stove on an outside wall, which might make retro fitting a big job...

An inside wall, unless it's a vaulted kitchen ceiling, would make it even easier to retrofit. Just run the duct straight up into the attic and through the roof. On an inside wall you've most likely got plenty of room to work in the attic, as opposed to an outside wall where you may be trying to work in an acute attic corner.

Ours is an under cabinet type, so it goes straight through the wall. Going up would get into the second floor at our place.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
What kind of oil are you frying in? Make sure it is a high smoke point oil and not extra virgin olive oil which is about the worst oil for frying

I use grapeseed oil which is not supposed to smoke/burn easily, although I'm hearing it's not the healthiest. Any suggestions? Sunflower oil maybe? Avocado?

Peanut oil has a high smoke point. Don't even think about avocado either...very low smoke point.

Sounds like you need a new oven ventilator.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Peanut oil has a high smoke point. Don't even think about avocado either...very low smoke point.

At 520F, avocado oil has one of the highest smoke points of any cooking oil, even higher than peanut oil. But peanut oil is a lot less expensive.

Quote:
All the ventillator does is in this place is just pushes the air through a flimsy filter and dumps it back into the house.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
got me interested in the avocado oil,

http://www.amazon.com/Chosen-Foods-Avoca...asin=B00CYMF1CO

going to see if i can find the nutrition on it(fats)

Not sure how accurate it is, but take a look at the table half way down the page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oil

The extra light olive oil looks good, too.

Then again, like I mentioned earlier, you can find hundreds of these cooking oil tables/charts, and each will say something different.... go figure.

I use the Iwatani butane stove. http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corporation-America-35FW-Portable/dp/B00522F2R2. Solid portable stove high quality.

Strong flames holds better with wind than with other portable stove. Draw back need to use butane cartridge. Buy those on sale $1.25 a can. Heats very well with cast iron or any high temp cooking outdoor use only.

As with oil use Macadamia nut, refine coconut oil(for cooking no flavor) and extra light olive oil(for cooking no flavor). Depending what is frying. I like the Macadamia nut oil for taste but some frying you don't want a taste but a neutral flavor.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
extra light olive oil

Which one specifically?

I found a bunch that say extra light TASTING olive oil, which may or may not be the same as extra light olive oil. lol.

41790004359.jpg

I did find an actual extra light olive oil called Vigo on amazon though...

http://amzn.com/B00558BE98

Don't buy it on Amazon but locally Pompeian brand Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil.

Haven't tried other brands so I can't say what is what. Haven't had any negatives with the Pompeian brand.

Thanks. So what's the difference between Extra Light and Extra Light Tasting?

It's a combination of the oil extraction method and the broad verbiage that olive oil companies are allowed to use for their products. All olive oil has about the same number of calories (120/tablespoon). Extra light refers to the added refining that is done to the oil-the more refined it is the lighter (or more extras they tack on before the word light) it is.

Extra light is more refined, extra light tasting means that the essence was captured, but the taste and acidity were chemically produced.

The USDA currently lists four grades of olive oil: "Fancy", "Choice", "Standard", and "Substandard". Terms like extra virgin can currently be applied to any type of olive oil, making the term relatively useless. The US currently has lax standards on olive oil grading, far behind other IOOC member countries.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Don't buy it on Amazon but locally Pompeian brand Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil.

BTW, Pompeian doesn't seem to think their Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil is good for frying, based on this... http://www.pompeian.com/products/olive-oils/extra-light-tasting.aspx

high-smoke-point.gif

I don't do deep fry...have no issue with the Pompeian brand Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil.

Q: Is the smoke point the same for all of Pompeian’s olive oils?
A: No, it varies depending on the variety. Pompeian Grapeseed Oil has one of the highest smoke points of all oils at around 420–510° F, making it great for frying or deep frying. Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil has a high smoke point of 390–410° F, which makes it ideal for high-heat sautéing and stir-frying. Pompeian Classic Pure Olive Oil with a 370–390° F smoke point can be used for lower heat sautéing, while Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil at 310–340° F is better suited for basting and sauces. All can be used in baking, based on your taste preferences.

I do stir fry which Macadamia nut oil is not suited rather want a neutral taste rather use Pompeian Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil. Oh I use the Iwatani 35FW Portable Butane Stove Burner can't beat it for stir frying(wok) or using a cast iron skillet the heat is intense far better than anything I've used but kiawe wood grilling. There is a difference from quick cooking and from hot deep fried cooking. Most deep fried like chicken needs some time to cook that is where the oil breaks down.

Like I said I haven't tried other extra light olive oil but they do have higher smoke point if I'm not wrong. It's a choice of oil I use. I don't use the grapeseed oil as it's not as healthy as one thinks. My main oil is Macadamia Nut Oil.

Last edited:

It's a combination of the oil extraction method and the broad verbiage that olive oil companies are allowed to use for their products. All olive oil has about the same number of calories (120/tablespoon). Extra light refers to the added refining that is done to the oil-the more refined it is the lighter (or more extras they tack on before the word light) it is.

Extra light is more refined, extra light tasting means that the essence was captured, but the taste and acidity were chemically produced.

The USDA currently lists four grades of olive oil: "Fancy", "Choice", "Standard", and "Substandard". Terms like extra virgin can currently be applied to any type of olive oil, making the term relatively useless. The US currently has lax standards on olive oil grading, far behind other IOOC member countries.

Interesting, so what's a good evoo to get that lacks the chemical processing? Any specific brands that are likely national?

I've always bought evoo just by that label.

Though we use ev coconut and avocado oils, as well as flax in various situations, temperature and food dependent. But I love evoo with salt, garlic and fresh rosemary for dipping...

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

At 520F, avocado oil has one of the highest smoke points of any cooking oil, even higher than peanut oil. But peanut oil is a lot less expensive.

How odd. Obviously, I'd of never guessed A.O would be that high. I've learned something new. Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
All the ventillator does is in this place is just pushes the air through a flimsy filter and dumps it back into the house.
Bummer...one of those cheap ones, eh? Not much you can do with one of those. Plus, given your location and the season, you don't want to be opening a few windows for ventilation. It's rarely that cold here. I enjoy grilling during the Winter more than the middle of the Summer when it's a sweat-fest.

Get an Indian neighbor; then you will never notice the stink coming from your *own* kitchen :)

Seriously, we did route the over the stove microwave exhaust through the wall/basement to the outside. It has too many bends before it comes out but it helps little bit. I wish I had gone for dedicated over the stove exhaust and stole some room from counter-top for the microwave. Alas, we are very short on the counter space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back