Classic Triumph needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just acquired a 1956 Triumph TRW military bike. I know the oil is shared by the engine and clutch, and that the seals are probably not compatible to synthetic oils. What oil does one use on these old bikes?

I'm thinking back in those days the oils were of a single weight and not much thought, if any, was given to wet clutches. We used whatever auto oil we wanted in the right weight.
A decent oil for wet clutches that is not synthetic is Rotella T which comes in 15w-40 and has a Jaso rating. Used widely by bikers.

I'm sure someone with specific knowledge will chime in shortly. Heres a source
if you need to order: http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Engine-Oil-s/282.htm

Last edited:
It should have separate oils for engine, gearbox and primary case. Back in the day we just used engine oil, but that was before they added stuff to it. The clutch doesn't run submerged in oil like a modern bike, the oil only came up to the bottom of the primary chain, the clutch was just in an oil mist really - too much oil and they slipped.

That is a pre unit Triumph. The Triumphs did not go to a shared sump system until 1963.

I would run something like a 15w40 Diesel oil given your location. You could go over to triumphrat.net if you ever need help with the bike besides what oil to run. Lots of classic Triumph owners over there.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The Triumphs did not go to a shared sump system until 1963.

When Triumph went to unit construction in 1963, the primary case was still separate, and so was the gearbox. In the late '60's they removed the crankshaft oil seal and turned the primary case into a breathing chamber, with a tube coming out the top of the chaincase. It was still not a fully wet clutch.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
That is a pre unit Triumph. The Triumphs did not go to a shared sump system until 1963.

I would run something like a 15w40 Diesel oil given your location. You could go over to triumphrat.net if you ever need help with the bike besides what oil to run. Lots of classic Triumph owners over there.

The unit construction Triumphs were not a shared sump system as they had separate reservoirs for engine, transmission and chaincase. The engine lubrication system was dry sump with a separate oil tank. As i recall, we ran 90 weight gear oil in the transmissions, although the manuals called for 50 weight engine oil. The usual engine oil used was 20w-50, and as I recall, this was also used in the chaincase.

Since seal compatability is in question I would suggest Valvoline VR-1 20-50. A stout oil with a high Flash point that should stand up to the heat of an aircooled engine with no problem.

I would start with the rotella 15w-40. If I understand, gear oils are rated on a different viscosity scale and an 80*90 gear oil is very similar to 10w-30. 10w-40 and 15w-40. Any of the HD 15-w40 oils would be a sure bet for that bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back