HTHS vs. cst @ 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used QSUD 5w50 in my Ranger 570, which has an HTHS of 3.98cst @ 150C and is 17.1cst @ 100C. (The engine loved it.)

Mag1 (a favorite of mine) sells a 10w40 4T oil which has an HTHS of 3.91cst @ 150C and is 14.1cst @ 100C.

Given the HTHS values are almost the same, what effect would the ~3cst difference in 100C viscosity have on my engine?

The Polaris 570 engine was originally spec'd for 10w40, then it went to 5w50, fwiw.

No problems viscosity wise; be sure the additive packages are suitable for your engine and/or transmission.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There'd be no practical cost effective way to tell.

's what I figured. This is a purely academic question, as I doubt I'll move away from a 50wt.

It's not entirely academic, the 40 will likely have a thicker basestock, and less VII.

It's silly (IMO) to have a higher KV100 for a given HTHS...go the 40 if it fits your application.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's not entirely academic, the 40 will likely have a thicker basestock, and less VII.

It's silly (IMO) to have a higher KV100 for a given HTHS...go the 40 if it fits your application.

Hmm. I've been thinking on using their 10w40 conventional, which has a 4.1 hths, which is greather than the QSUD and almost equal to the M1 5w50 I'm using now. I don't think the 570 needs extra zddp (dohc, bucket followers), and it would save me LOT of money.

HTHS and flash points seem to go in the opposite direction of VI.
A HTHS of 4.0 can be achieved with a group 2
mono-grade with 13.2@100C, which would be the lightest
SAE 40 available with a VI of about 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back