Ford Ecoboost 1.0 Fiesta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner’s manual says oil change every 10,000 miles. The dealership says they use 5w20
Motor craft Synthetic Blend. I changed the oil at 4000 miles to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 with a Fram ultra-filter and again at 10000 miles, and ran it to 20000 miles on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and did a uoa and everything was fine and said I could extend to 12000 miles.

Now my question is if I went to Trop Artic Synthetic Blend which is almost the same as the Motor craft with the Fram Ultra Filter and did 7500 mile oil change and only change the filter every other time would that be ok. The filter is a pain to change and I can get the Tropic Artic oil for 1.99 a quart.

The car is about 90% highway and 10% city driving.

Trop Artic is a solid oil but it is not a Motorcraft clone as some seem to think.

There is a Motorcraft spec - which many conventional oils do meet.

You can run PYB in that thing for 10000 miles and still satisfy warranty requirement!

How do you like the 1.0L? I want to drive one ... but they are a rare bird.

New car, tiny engine, turbocharged, I'd stick with the full synthetic at 10k, and change the filter every time until it's out of warranty. Then maybe go longer on synthetic afterward if you still have mostly highway driving.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There is a Motorcraft spec - which many conventional oils do meet.

You can run PYB in that thing for 10000 miles and still satisfy warranty requirement!

How do you like the 1.0L? I want to drive one ... but they are a rare bird.

I like it a lot. I drive 130 miles round trip daily to work.
6 days a week every other week since I car pool with another
Guy. On winter gas I get about 40 to 42 driving 65 to 70. On
Summer gas driving 65 I get about 44 to 46. One week in
September without the air and driving 58 to work it got 53. The best
Thing is in 5th gear from 55 up with the cruise set it won’t fade any on a hill.
It’s got plenty of power to pass.

TropArtic Syn Blend 5w-20 meets Ford's WSS-M2C945-A requirement, you could probably use it safely for 7500 miles and 2x the Fram Ultra filter with your 90% highway driving.

Why not just stick with an oil that's been shown to work in a UOA done on oil used in an engine as you use it?
SOPUS oils are always on some sort of sale, so you won't be saving much if anything using another oil on 7.5K drains.
You will get more time looking at the bottom of your new car, if that's what you seek.
You might register your ride on the Penzoil "engine warranty" site and thereby gain a $25.00 MIR on a jug of Ultra.
You can do the same on the Quaker State site if you'd like and get a $20.00 MIR on QSUD, which would probably also be fine on 10K drains as you use your car.
I'd personally stick with a synthetic on the recommended 10K drains.

Originally Posted By: cchilb

The owner’s manual says oil change every 10,000 miles. The dealership says they use 5w20
Motor craft Synthetic Blend. I changed the oil at 4000 miles to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 with a Fram ultra-filter and again at 10000 miles, and ran it to 20000 miles on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and did a uoa and everything was fine and said I could extend to 12000 miles.

Now my question is if I went to Trop Artic Synthetic Blend which is almost the same as the Motor craft with the Fram Ultra Filter and did 7500 mile oil change and only change the filter every other time would that be ok. The filter is a pain to change and I can get the Tropic Artic oil for 1.99 a quart.

The car is about 90% highway and 10% city driving.

Why would you do that??

That appears to be a nice little 1.0L engine. Direct injection sprayed straight down into a piston bowl should alleviate fuel dilution.

Here is a teardown video...Good stuff at about 6:40. In Europe, the timing belt needs to be replaced at 150K miles and it is spec'ed for 20 grade oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbeTaKpdLs

Originally Posted By: Lex94
That appears to be a nice little 1.0L engine. Direct injection sprayed straight down into a piston bowl should alleviate fuel dilution.

Here is a teardown video...Good stuff at about 6:40. In Europe, the timing belt needs to be replaced at 150K miles and it is spec'ed for 20 grade oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbeTaKpdLs

Interesting that they recommend timing belt replacement at 150K. Here in the US ... there's no recommended interval for that or the oil pump belt.

I have been trying to find reliability information for the engine as it's been around in Europe for a while. No luck though.

Interesting that they recommend timing belt replacement at 150K. Here in the US ... there's no recommended interval for that or the oil pump belt.

I have been trying to find reliability information for the engine as it's been around in Europe for a while. No luck though.

I wonder if it is an OM requirement type thing in europe? I don't think Ford provides any maintenance schedule past 120k in the USA so they would have nowhere to indicate changing the timing belt. Are european owners manuals required to cover maintenance schedules further out?

Well that's interesting. I thought Ford was pushing "lifetime" timing belt.

It is probably like "liftetime" fluids. It means somewhere around 100k because most don't keep the car that long. BITOG is a collection of exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back