Amsoil vs Sludge in oil cap of snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I put Amsoil 10w30 in my snowblower.
Since that I got some sludge in the oil cap ?

Is there any particular reason ?
Snowblower always run full throttle.

thanks

Condensation forming a milky substance or sludge? My bet is its condensation forming the milky substance. The only way to rid that is to get the engine hot enough to burn it off. That takes quite a while even at WOT. Ask me how I know.

Just some guesses:
a) CC VENT hose ORICED plugged UP.
B)overfilled

I would not guess

C) water Miscibility spec.

More at extreme low temp operation.

I had poor carburetion, then ambient (FINALLY!) warmed above freezing after 5 weeks of well below 0C, then the unit worked OK again. FSHEW!

I thought I had a heated carb on the Tecumseh SK 8HP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yannick
Hello,

I put Amsoil 10w30 in my snowblower.
Since that I got some sludge in the oil cap ?

How do you know it's sludge and not just moisture condensation, as was pointed out earlier?

Demarpaint : Thanks ! its probably condensation since my snowblower run only for 10mins everytime I used it.

Other question : when we see sludge/milk condensation in oil cap does it mean inside the engine is full of condensation too?

We have a VERY cold winter , Very cold = -20C , -4F. Snowblower is store in my "warm" +6C degres, 42F garage. its probably condensation. Will change oil this spring and get new fresh one.

Demarpaint : Thanks ! its probably condensation since my snowblower run only for 10mins everytime I used it.

Other question : when we see sludge/milk condensation in oil cap does it mean inside the engine is full of condensation too?

10 minutes says it all.
smile.gif
I would suggest next time you change the oil use either 0W30 or 5W30 oil instead of 10W30. It won't help much with condensation, but it is a better choice for snow blowers.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

10 minutes says it all.
smile.gif
I would suggest next time you change the oil use either 0W30 or 5W30 oil instead of 10W30. It won't help much with condensation, but it is a better choice for snow blowers.
I use a 5W in mine. Easier starting.

I use Amsoil Sig. Series 0w-30 in my 10HP Toro.
Very easy starting + great cold-flow properties.

Very common in cold weather use. Happens in huge generators working in cold climates. Best suggestion is to insulate it or make a blanket to fit to get it up to temperature.

yep Ill tried with 5w30 and see!

You can if you wish, but stored in your 6 C garage, you're well within the operating range of Amsoil 10w-30, or any 10w-30, for that matter.

I get that in my lawn mower and it pretty much stays that way until I either change it or the outside temp warms up to a point that the engine gets hot enough to burn off the condensation. Usually it doesn't get below 50 where I live and I still have the problem. 1100hrs and the engine still runs fine so it definitely isn't hurting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back