Slow Clean Just Thru Normal Operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 97 f150 with 190K. Coolant was brown - I know it was a universal AMAM (Prime brand) because that's what old invoice said. I did 3 drain/run/refills one afternoon with conventional green coolant. Even after the drain/run/refills, I would still see brown crud floating at top of plastic degas bottle - especially after highway driving with heater going. It has gotten better the more that I drive - I scoop out the brown crud each time. Am I actually slowly continuing to clean the radiator and heater core by doing this or is the brown stuff oil mixing with coolant?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Why not just flush it out rather than do a bunch of drain and refills?

+1; ideally, if you can, remove the thermostat, reinstall the thermostat housing, stick a garden hose in the radiator inlet, and run the engine with the petcoock removed with the hose running. That will flush it out completely. Then drain the system, reinstall the thermostat, and top off with concentrated antifreeze at 50% of the total capacity; if the system is still low, top the rest off with distilled water. That will flush it completely and you'll end up with a perfect 50/50 antifreeze concentration.

Or put in one of the Prestone flush kits. Don't forget to use the flush first.

I've never used a cleaner because I always changed my antifreeze at regular intervals, but if my coolant was that bad I'd use a cleaner. You're going to spend more money - and time - doing antifreeze changes to get the stuff out...just flush the system.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Or put in one of the Prestone flush kits. Don't forget to use the flush first.

Does the Prestone flush kit get around the thermostat? It only injects water into the heater core hoses. So again for me, will the Prestone flush kit flush the entire engine completely?

slomo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back