Wix 49247: Warning to Skyactiv Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting to see they farm out their work.

Not knocking SK or any other foreign made "American" filters, but I would try to get US made whenever possible.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Very interesting to see they farm out their work.

Not knocking SK or any other foreign made "American" filters, but I would try to get US made whenever possible.
27.gif

That was my intent in case you missed that.

They only farm out SOME of the work and it isn't much.

Last edited:
I will be meeting with the local Wix guy next week. They want to see the filter, inspect it and take their own pictures of it.

It will be interesting to hear if it is a legit Wix product. If it is, they have to stop using that supplier.

OK, so i bought another Wix and it was just as bad as the one I showed in this thread. Apparently it is not a fake and just a terrible choice by Wix.

I also now have the Fram CA11259 and OEM Mazda new in box. I'm going to take pics for reference. The Fram is almost as good as the OEM. It looks really good.

Should I post those pics here or just do a skyactiv AF thread since these filters are for all skyactiv vehicles?

Hi badtlc,

Any update on this issue? I have a Wix 49247 in the queue for my Mazda 6 - I took a good look at it and did notice some very minor damage to the gasket - IIRC, what appear to be one or two 1 mm deep and 3-4 mm wide chunks missing from the outside of the gasket - but in my subjective opinion this would not result in any air leakage because the gasket compresses when installed, so this whole portion would lay flat against the filter box so the chunks would not be exposed.

Mine definitely did not look nearly as bad as yours, though. I agree with you, I wouldn't run the filter you pictured and it makes me think I'll probably grab an OEM filter and use that instead of the Wix.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your second Wix 49247, the Fram CA11259, and the Mazda OEM filter.

On a somewhat related note - I recently installed a Wix cabin filter (#24103) in my Mazda 6. It did not appear to be quite as good as the Mazda OEM filter (Wix had 30 pleats, Mazda had around 38-39 pleats). The Wix was $21.99. If the OEM Mazda can be had for under $30, I think I'll go that way next time.

Last edited:
I met with wix. They said it was their filters (I have two now) and they were sorry about the quality. That was pretty much the end of it.

I put the Fram in service last week. It was VERY close to the exact same quality as OEM but the TP or rubber was just ever so slightly thinner/less robust feeling.

You can get the OEM for $15 on amazon which is cheaper than I have been able to find the Fram. I'd say at this point just go OEM and forget about it.

I'll try and get the pictures posted when I have time. Too many sick kids lately.

What does that mean "rated for 30K miles?" To me that is terrible.

Doesn't it all depend on your driving environment, your speed(rpms) and other criteria? Some vehicles (like my truck) come with a restriction meter which is the benchmark for filter life.

I pulled my OEM filter on the Corolla at 75K miles and 5 years and it was barely dirty looking, I could go for at least double that, but I was concerned about the time. I live in a non-dusty environment, keep the RPMs low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
What does that mean "rated for 30K miles?" To me that is terrible.

Doesn't it all depend on your driving environment, your speed(rpms) and other criteria? Some vehicles (like my truck) come with a restriction meter which is the benchmark for filter life.

I pulled my OEM filter on the Corolla at 75K miles and 5 years and it was barely dirty looking, I could go for at least double that, but I was concerned about the time. I live in a non-dusty environment, keep the RPMs low.

He is referencing the FCI. Mazda says replace AF every 30k miles.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I met with wix. They said it was their filters (I have two now) and they were sorry about the quality. That was pretty much the end of it.

I put the Fram in service last week. It was VERY close to the exact same quality as OEM but the TP or rubber was just ever so slightly thinner/less robust feeling.

You can get the OEM for $15 on amazon which is cheaper than I have been able to find the Fram. I'd say at this point just go OEM and forget about it.

I'll try and get the pictures posted when I have time. Too many sick kids lately.

Thanks for the update. Pretty disappointing response from Wix - they should have offered to replace the filters you bought.

I bought an OEM (PE07-13-3A0A) air filter at my local Mazda dealer yesterday afternoon, and returned my Wix to the parts store this morning.

The OEM Mazda filter (made in Japan) was definitely higher quality than the Wix - and only 56 cents more expensive.

Also picked up a Purolator (A26280) on sale at AAP, just for grins.

As far as this particular application goes, IMHO: Mazda OEM > Purolator > Wix.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Fram (not stocked anywhere locally yet) but for now, I'll call it: Mazda OEM is the way to go for Skyactiv air filters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back