Mazda3 OEM BBM4-61-J6X (used and new with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so let me start by saying I recently bought a non OEM air filter for my 2012 Mazda3 and it was TERRIBLE! So, I decided not to skimp and paid the $30 for an OEM cabin filter......oy. I swear I have the worst luck sometimes. To the review:

The used filter had 40k miles on (estimated). The new filter has nice construction as far as structure and design. The complaint lies in the media as you'll see below. I think you can figure out where the pictures change from new to used. here we go.....

The box is completely unhelpful in determining who actually makes the filters. They are made in China! ugh...
IMAG0270.jpg

One of the two "halves"
IMAG0271.jpg

As the previous picture showed, these would barely be classified as "rock catchers" because even small rocks would make it through this media. Unbelievably terrible and cheap.

IMAG0274.jpg

I am a bit worried where this foam rubber stuff is coming from. Please dont be mice! Anyone know where I could look upstream to see where this stuff might be coming from?
IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

I just replaced my original cabin filter(s) in my 2012 Mazda3 with the $9 O'reilly el-cheapo filter set. It didnt look any different whatsoever from the set that I pulled out, which was original (bought the car new). Filter media looked exactly the same, the dimensions were exactly the same (I measured), and it fit perfect. It was a whole lot cheaper than what the dealer wanted, I know that much.

On the other hand, this is my first vehicle with a cabin filter, I've never understood the hoopla and hype as to how important they are. I dont see any less dust on the dash and console of the Mazda than any of my other cars, none of which have a filter. No matter how often I clean them (and I clean them a lot) there always seems to be a thin layer of dust after a week or so, regardless of which car I'm in. How much cleaner is the air without than without one? I could be really, really off base on this, but if that media is big enough to stop leaves and a random couple of bugs from clogging the evaporator and heater core fines, its probably fine.

I agree though, the media in that filter doesnt look too impressive, and it doesnt look anything like the original I pulled out of mine, or the cheapo replacement I put in. On the other hand, referencing back to my previous paragraph, cabin filters are way down on my list of automotive worries.

As for the foam rubber, is the thin strip on the (old) top filter intact? Not sure where else that would come from. Mine didnt have any in the media, just leaves and some grit.

Originally Posted By: quint

As for the foam rubber, is the thin strip on the (old) top filter intact? Not sure where else that would come from. Mine didnt have any in the media, just leaves and some grit.

It was completely intact. No idea where it came from or is coming from.

And your comments on the dust in the cabin is specific to this car with this cabin filter. If you replace the filter with one that has a quality filter element it makes a HUGE difference in the amount of dust the cabin accumulates. but these filters are so worthless media wise you won't see any difference in dust.

Are you sure, or do you know, that the one you pulled out was the first one out? Maybe someone botched a previous install...? That foam came from somewhere, and short of giving yourself a concussion trying to look up there, that might be hard to track down. I share your concern about mice. I had to disassemble a Jaguar dash to try down several dead ones that about made the car unbearable for months. What a mess that was, and luckily it wasnt my Jag.

Perhaps the amount of dust I (we?) still get is because of the design of the filter frame as much as the media? My experience with cabin filters is limited I admit, but this two piece design with its gaps and tabs and whatnot doesnt seem too airtight. I expected foam around all the edges, not just on top.

The media on my existing and replacement filters was definitely different and finer from what I'm seeing in your pictures though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back