Coolant filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about installing a coolant filtration system in my Dodge Ram 1500. I have seen these units on other trucks (all bigger diesels) in the past, and like the idea of being able to clean grit and sand out of my coolant. Does anyone have one of these installed and if so, which one did you use? I would like to find an all inclusive kit that I could just adapt to fit my vehicle. The ones I have found so far are vehicle specific.

This topic has been discussed before. Some say a solution in search of a problem. I have a "Northern" coolant line filter that fits in a heater hose line. Its been in a shelf on my desk for a year. You can see through it and see how dirty it is. I am pretty sure you just remove it and rinse and reinstall.

Today's coolants and engines just do not have the problem of crud in the coolant.

I am thinking of using it on an older engine in my Snow Cat (Ford 300 straight 6 engine).

When I have read about them its mostly in older engines of the 1960s and 1970s.

I put one on my car last year after it sitting in the box for three years. I won't change the filter until next summer so can't really say what it does.

If the engine in mind uses a silicated coolant then a filter would be bad right? I'm not sure how big the silicates are or how fine the filter is but that's a case where you want some grit in the system to clean any scale or mineral buildup.

However most coolants now are OAT or HOAT so there should technically be no particulates in the suspension besides what comes off the internals.

Actually, on a diesel that uses SCAs, specifically DCA-2 (my F-450 for instance), the silicate drops out of the (green old style) coolant/SCA mix & collects in the bottom of the radiator, coolant passages, etc., & a coolant filter removes it. IMHO a modern gas or diesel engine with EC-1 approved, or similar OAT AF, doesn't really need it, although ones using G-05/Premium Gold might benefit somewhat.

Originally Posted By: Donald
This topic has been discussed before. Some say a solution in search of a problem. I have a "Northern" coolant line filter that fits in a heater hose line. Its been in a shelf on my desk for a year. You can see through it and see how dirty it is. I am pretty sure you just remove it and rinse and reinstall.

Today's coolants and engines just do not have the problem of crud in the coolant.

I am thinking of using it on an older engine in my Snow Cat (Ford 300 straight 6 engine).

When I have read about them its mostly in older engines of the 1960s and 1970s.

I don't think you need it. my 300 6 never has crud in the cooling system. I use green coolant.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I put one on my car last year after it sitting in the box for three years. I won't change the filter until next summer so can't really say what it does.

Who made the kit?

And btw my vehicle uses 50/50 blend of HOAT and distilled water. It actually was just flushed and replaced last year. But I still want to find a way to install a filtration system.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If the engine in mind uses a silicated coolant then a filter would be bad right? I'm not sure how big the silicates are or how fine the filter is but that's a case where you want some grit in the system to clean any scale or mineral buildup.

However most coolants now are OAT or HOAT so there should technically be no particulates in the suspension besides what comes off the internals.

I believe the silicates are not there to clean but rather to lay down a protective layer on metal after the old layer got removed maybe by cavitation.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Who made the kit?

And btw my vehicle uses 50/50 blend of HOAT and distilled water. It actually was just flushed and replaced last year. But I still want to find a way to install a filtration system.

I got mine here and use a baldwin filter.
https://www.adiesel.com/baldwinfilters/CFB5000.html

When I test my coolant I can see floaters in the coolant in the tester. I throughly flush the tester after every test so that nothing is left over. I have been thinking about installing a filter in the small coolant recirc line going to the coolant reservoir. I haven done it yet because of space, also was wondering if a 15 micron filter would catch too much small stuff and plug or restrict flow too much.
Vehicle is a 2009 ford Edge 3.5L

The "silicates" in coolant aren't particles. Only after the coolant is long-neglected will the silicates break down and actual particles of silica begin to form.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The "silicates" in coolant aren't particles. Only after the coolant is long-neglected will the silicates break down and actual particles of silica begin to form.

I dont have any floaties in my coolant, I just want to remove casting sand and any future debris.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

What is a long neglected coolant?

I put a coolant filter on mine and Mom's 2.2 Ecotecs. They both caught a lot of "sand" and black particles. I assume the black particles are from the hoses decaying on the inside.

Was it worth it? Who knows, but it's probably good the "sand" isn't in my cooling system anymore.

Both vehicles had been flushed regularly.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I put a coolant filter on mine and Mom's 2.2 Ecotecs. They both caught a lot of "sand" and black particles. I assume the black particles are from the hoses decaying on the inside.

Was it worth it? Who knows, but it's probably good the "sand" isn't in my cooling system anymore.

Both vehicles had been flushed regularly.

What kits did you use? Im trying to get some brands together so I can do some research and pricing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
What kits did you use? Im trying to get some brands together so I can do some research and pricing.

Not a kit. I bought coolant filter bases and filters from Amazon and made the mounting brackets myself. I t'd into the heater core hoses on my Ion. On Mom's VUE, I just used the degas hose for the inlet and ran a short hose to the reservoir for the outlet, which was a much better method and what I wish I'd done on the Ion.

I have on of these on every vehicle I own. I know the maintenance history of none. My Caprice, you see there, kept turning up floating rust flakes and more, even after flushing. No thanks.

I used the NAPA 4019 kit, and the NAPA 4070 filter. Maybe $60 all together.

Thinking of replacing it with a Fram Ultra, though.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back