00 Nissan Sentra 1.8L Charging Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this morning I was greeted with the battery/brake light on the instrument cluster on my way to work. From the little bit of reading up I've done this could be an alternator/battery issue. I'm going to take it by the part store to have the machine hooked up to see if they can tell what it is. Now if it is the alternator would it be better to rebuild it myself? I'm not opposed to doing that as it saves money and you know it was done right, plus it's a good thing to learn! Now prepping for the worst and hoping for the best in just a bad battery, but, worst case I've been looking for rebuild kits for this alternator and have not found much in that department and the rebuilds are pretty pricey themselves. Any suggestions for a kit or what I should be looking for when looking for a rebuild/repair kit?

The first thing I would do is buy an inexpensive multimeter and see what the system running-voltage is. It ought to be about 14.4 volts DC.

If the alternator is original to the car, and if it's not charging, it might simply be that the brushes are worn and need replacing.

They used to have rebuild kits for the very popular old GM and Ford alternators. Finding a rebuild kit for your Nissan? Highly doubt it. Just get a reman with a lifetime warranty.

As far as getting the best price for a new alternator, shop around. Don't forget the coupon codes on Advance Auto and check rockauto too.

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
Well this morning I was greeted with the battery/brake light on the instrument cluster on my way to work. From the little bit of reading up I've done this could be an alternator/battery issue. I'm going to take it by the part store to have the machine hooked up to see if they can tell what it is. Now if it is the alternator would it be better to rebuild it myself? I'm not opposed to doing that as it saves money and you know it was done right, plus it's a good thing to learn! Now prepping for the worst and hoping for the best in just a bad battery, but, worst case I've been looking for rebuild kits for this alternator and have not found much in that department and the rebuilds are pretty pricey themselves. Any suggestions for a kit or what I should be looking for when looking for a rebuild/repair kit?
I say check the brushes, they wear long before the bearings, and can often be changed without removing the alternator. Also, what else is on that warning light circuit? On my cars ther is a light which trigges for llow brake fluid, which contracts a bit in cold weather. If it's a Denso the mechanical parts are good quality and brushes are the best bet.

Last edited:
They're installed into the back of the alternator after removing a cover held on by a couple of screws. A brush assembly is less than 15 bucks and I'm sure there is a Utube on how to do it. The trick is to push up the brush (there are two) against the spring which forces them down to get them to slide over the end of the rotor shaft.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
If it is a Denso where would I find the brushes?

In the rear of the alternator. A new brush pack may be purchased from the dealer. Swaps right in.

Now my next question is...I show the brushes on the dealer site part number 2314231U00. Would I need one or two of these? I don't mind taking the alternator apart once I get it out but want to make sure I have the right parts on hand so I have it fresh in my mind how I took it apart, including pictures too!

edit: per the dealer site it looks like this is a hitachi alternator. Should I still look into the brushes?

Last edited:
Great engine and car, the one in my sig. was still running like new when I traded it in..

Absolutely! It's a great cheap car and the mpg aren't bad either! Mine has 214k on it right now and it's showing normal wear and tear, but, once I get this charging issue fixed I should be good to go for awhile
smile.gif

Two brushes in an assembly equal one "brush set". When you pull the old set you should find the carbon (like a pencil lead in color) brushes shoorter than the new set. When they wear to the point they can't touch the rotor contacts they need to be changed. When they wear they loose the contact force provided by the little spring behind each one which pushes it against the rotor and get flakey just before they quit alltogether.

Doesn't much matter who made the alternator, brushes are a lot like spark plugs, all the companies use the same sort of layout at the back of the alternator. If the brushes you remove are almost the same length as the new ones, well, you don't need the new ones.

I never intended on keeping mine that long but I paid it off in 2003 and just kept driving it.................I just kept up on the oil and ATF , I didn't baby it in any way, the biggest repair was a $50 radiator after somebody backed into it!

Alright I believe I found the brushes on Ebay. I called the dealer and they said Nissan does not stock those brushes anymore. I'm not 100% sure that will fix the issue though but am up for giving it a shot!

A local alternator and starter rebuild shop is what I would do. New heavy duty diodes, brushes, and bearings. Most of the time they will do it while you are at the shop and takes only several minutes.

Well my dad decided it was best that the car be taken to the shop due to time constraints. He took it by the part store and they said it was the alternator after hooking up the machines. So now it's the waiting game to get it fixed. Thanks everyone!

Alright everyone just wanted to fill you in. The mechanic replaced the alternator and all is well. The car is even running much better than it was before which is odd but hey I'll take it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back