1997 Cougar w/4.6 V-8. Replacement manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I would imagine you Ford guys have knowledge of the cracking problem on the modular V-8 of this era. My question is, what is the best aftermarket or factory Ford replacement part available? I'm suspicious of the Dorman manifold, and the replacement from Ford too, even with the re-inforced area by the thermostat. Summit Racing sells an all aluminum replacement that really catches my eye. What are your thought's here?

(I'm assuming you are talking about intake manifolds) I thought they didn't introduce the plastic intakes until ~'99? I guess the Cougars were different. My '04 Stang GT (sold last month) was a lucky one, sold with 115k miles, still the factory clutch and manifold. While I have never changed a manifold personally, I've never had a bad part from either Ford Racing or Dorman.

So without any first hand experience, I'd say any replacement will do fine. Hopefully someone with better experience chimes in.

Go with the Ford racing manifold. It is much better quality than Dorman
Plastic done right has a few advantages over aluminum, it stays cooler for one thing and thats good for intake air.
It doesn't have pores like aluminum so sticky deposits don't permeate into its surface attracting more deposits and its much smoother than an aluminum casting which also help to smooth out the air flow. long term it will stay cleaner inside too.

Ford racing like GM performance has very good parts, weak spots and design compromises in the original are addressed and materials are usually of higher quality.

Go with the Ford Genuine one. The FRPP one is a PI intake manifold that requires an adapter to work with your NPI heads. The Dorman one is meh at best.

I recall my 2001 Bullitt had a cast AL intake. IDK if this part # is still in the Ford performance catalogue. I does get hot. But this is for the improved port design I think 1999 and up.

Maybe go with the ruggedized police part. - or is that fictional?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Maybe go with the ruggedized police part. - or is that fictional?
Fictional. There is no difference in the intake manifolds other than PI or NPI.

Police ones are the same. The only difference is the alternator mounting bracket since some of the police cars got the larger 6G alternator.

The Bullitt intake was just a minor improvement over the standard. All the parts to make it work, ie the cable, are obsolete.

Post your question over on Tccoa.

Guys have put the PI manifold on the NPI heads, I think they are using sealant to cover up certain unused cooling ports to make it work.

Certain years had a plastic manifold that would crack, I think the 96 cougar falls into that category.

You can get a PI manifold for pretty much nothing, probably one of the members will sell you one.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Post your question over on Tccoa.

Guys have put the PI manifold on the NPI heads, I think they are using sealant to cover up certain unused cooling ports to make it work.

Certain years had a plastic manifold that would crack, I think the 96 cougar falls into that category.

You can get a PI manifold for pretty much nothing, probably one of the members will sell you one.

Yeah, the ports are a slightly different shape so you have to use some sealant to make it work, but this is well documented and many people have done this swap.
I think its like 10HP for the intake, IIRC.

All plastic intake manifolds were used from 1996 to Job 1 2001 IIRC. Like others have said, go with the Ford Racing manifold and call is a day.

Make sure you replace the heater core return tubes under the manifold whilst you're at it, as well as the coolant pump o-ring and fuel injector o-rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back