NAPA Proselect = Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Looking to replace the K&N engine air filter in both Hyundai. With the 2.0T, only Napa gold is listed and I know these are Wix made. The 2.4 Sonata shows Napa Gold and Proselect. Is the Proselect also a Wix?

I recently purchased a NAPA ProSelect cabin air filter. I believe it was manufactured by WIX. Happy with the quality.

I think it is but it is not made to Wix's specifications. It is an inferior product.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Napa Proselect is what Napa Silver used to be.

Years ago, Napa had Napa Silver and Napa Gold. The Silver was eventually renamed ProSelect. So "old Silver" is exactly the same as ProSelect. Then some time later, Napa re-introduced the Silver name as a "Step above" the ProSelect. The new Silvers are different from the ProSelect, and the two are sold alongside each other.

I just looked up both filters on napaonline.. price difference is $1.50 for gold vs proselect...that looks like a no brainer to me.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Then some time later, Napa re-introduced the Silver name as a "Step above" the ProSelect. The new Silvers are different from the ProSelect, and the two are sold alongside each other.

Yes, the ProSelect and Silver are sold side-by-side and clearly one is not the replacement for the other as was the cw years ago.

The ProSelect is always a few dimes more than the Silver in the same application from the few I have checked, making me doubt Silver is a "step above." Does anyone actually know exactly what the difference is between the two? I took one of each to examine them and cannot tell.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
I have found that Fram is better constructed than Wix or Purolator. At least for Air Filters for my cars.

What car do you have? Fram is usually considered to be junk and WIX top of the line. I've never seen a better made filter (air or oil) then WIX.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: Milkman
I have found that Fram is better constructed than Wix or Purolator. At least for Air Filters for my cars.

What car do you have? Fram is usually considered to be junk and WIX top of the line. I've never seen a better made filter (air or oil) then WIX.

I realize Fram gets a lot of hate from their oil filters, but I have yet to see their air filters get hate until now. Their construction resembles everyone else's and can be found at WM for a good price compared to the over priced car parts stores. The key thing is pleat count. More pleats= more media.

The ProSelect is a decent jobber filter, but it'll have fewer pleats compared to other top tiered filters.

IIRC, the air filter for my moms Elantra is pretty hard to find. It has about 46k on it now and is still original. I should probably look into replacing it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
exranger06 said:
The ProSelect is always a few dimes more than the Silver in the same application from the few I have checked, making me doubt Silver is a "step above." Does anyone actually know exactly what the difference is between the two? I took one of each to examine them and cannot tell.

Its a few dimes more to the DIY customer, but for all commercial accounts, the ProSelect is dirt cheap. For instance, last summer I paid $2 for a late 90's crown victoria proselect under a commercial account.

Silver is the low end line marketed to DIY
Proselect is the commercial jobber line. Usually very similar to silver, but not always.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back