These 36 Cars Need an Oil Change - Or Do They?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like the late 60s-early 80s (70s being my favorite,love the curvy bodystyle). I hate the ones when they went "flat" looking and began to look like every other car out there (maybe 90s-present?).

Absolutely no excuse to treat a 53 Corvette that way, not the mention the other cars.

Unlike other collectibles, cars cannot just 'sit' and retain their value. Other collectibles, like guns, can sit in one spot in the house for a long time with little care and not lose its value. A car has way too many parts, which includes seals and rubber, that deteriorate over time. The mechanical parts need to be exercised once in a while.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I absolutely love the mid 70s Corvettes!!

Me too.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Unlike other collectibles, cars cannot just 'sit' and retain their value. Other collectibles, like guns, can sit in one spot in the house for a long time with little care and not lose its value. A car has way too many parts, which includes seals and rubber, that deteriorate over time. The mechanical parts need to be exercised once in a while.

You sure about that? Some of the most expensive cars on the market started out as barn finds, just like this. People actually pay more for them when they are covered in 40 years of dust.

Smokescreen, I cannot agree more with your statement. It's a virtual tie between a '63 split window and a '67 427 convertible for the best Corvette ever.

My father restored a '64 Vette when I was a kid (along with a '69 vertible and a '57 white on red) and let me drive it several times while in high school. What a blast, even though it had a manual clutch and no power steering. That 327 would really throw me back in the seat. I got to ride shotgun in it for a couple of Corvette Club hot laps at Road America. Heaven for a 14 year old soon-to-be gearhead.

I'm fond of this 73...

1Xtrwcs.jpg

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I actually like the late 60s-early 80s (70s being my favorite,love the curvy bodystyle). I hate the ones when they went "flat" looking and began to look like every other car out there (maybe 90s-present?).

I'd say the 1984 Corvette was the one that looked generic. That was the 4th gen. They created a 5th gen in 1997, but that looked so much like the 1984 vette. In 2006, the 6th gen eliminated popup headlights, but everything else looked the same.

The '67 big block is iconic.

But the early big block Mako Corvettes have gotten stronger pricewise in the past few years and are attractive to people my age that saw them on the street with Cragars and sidepipes.

The mid '70's are pretty lackluster for the collector with the exception of the last of the C3 convertibles produced between '74 - '76.

With the factory slotted wheels and a rear deck luggage rack, they could be pretty attractive as a Sunday afternoon cruiser.

OK. Where are all the guys that advocate ridiculously long OCIs. Certainly, we should be able to squeeze just a little more life out of the oil in these cars. Should we strain all the big chunks of dirt out of the oil with a coffee filter? Then of course send the oil in for UOAs and reuse as much as possible?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Kestas

You sure about that? Some of the most expensive cars on the market started out as barn finds, just like this. People actually pay more for them when they are covered in 40 years of dust.

That depends on how it was fixed. A lot of people make modifications during the restoration, or fix it poorly. If the car is fixed to original specs, I don't see how a barn find can be worth more than a carefully maintained and roadworthy car.

I haven't seen any original barn-find vehicles with 40 years dust go through Barret-Jackson and get more money than the finished vehicles we see there.

The cars fetching the highest prices are NOT restorations. You want what you call a survivor with all original parts, stickers, factory marks, factory paint defects with overspray etc. Fixing these kinds of things devalue the car. You don't want a repaint with modern 2 stage. That's one of the worse things you can do.

A restoration creates a new car that is not what rolled off assembly.

You don't want an OCD person fixing these cars. Just clean them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back