percentage of synthetic in average "blend"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synthetic blends seem to be priced very closely to "dino" oils, or are most dino oils likely blends themselves ie penzzoil yellow?

There is no standard for blends.

It varies so expect anywhere from 5% to 30% of Group IV or most likely GroupIII with the rest GroupII.

Again, it is the total formulation of base oil AND additive that contributes to performance or lack thereof.

My understanding is there is no set standard. It's not regulated. The word "Synthetic" is a marketing term in the lubricants world.

Semi-Synthetic, Partial-Synthetic, Synthetic-Blend may consist of any combination of Group II, Group III, Group IV.

It's all up to the formulator.

From what I've seen: Pennzoil dexos gold 50% syn.

I've heard: CP family of oils (Kendall, Motocraft,TA and 76) around 40ish percent. I know Ford asked for an upgrade on MC within the last few years due to the DI engines...

Castrol synblend-20% - New Magatec should be closer to 50%

Valvloine Durablend-30% syn

Keep in mind..these are what I have HEARD. One thing that I do know is that anything Dexos cert'ed has to be at least close to 50% to pass the tests put on it.......

Any guess as to the percentages is pure speculation. Mostly it's marketing. The real concern is performance and that's a tough one to figure out. UOA's are fine but long term performance should be the goal and who knows what it takes to figure that out.

I was involved in fleet testing and the one semi-synthetic that performed well was Motorcraft 5w-20. Others showed no better than a pure dyno. If you want to be sure about the percentage just use a pure synthetic or a pure dyno. Then you'll know.

Valvoline used to have the percentage of synthetic in their synthetic-blends on their website. They took it down a few years ago, and unfortunately I don't remember what it used to say. Probably wouldn't matter even if I did remember b/c it probably changed since then.

People on here talk about Pennzoil synthetic blend being 50% or more, but I've only seen people on here saying that. I've never seen anything official from Pennzoil stating that.

Similarly, people on here talk about ConocoPhillips semi-synthetic oils (Trop Artic, 76 Super, Motorcraft, Kendall, etc) being a high percentage of synthetic oil. But again, I've only seen people saying it on here, I haven't seen anything official from CP about the percentage of synthetic in their blends.

Originally Posted By: sicko

People on here talk about Pennzoil synthetic blend being 50% or more, but I've only seen people on here saying that. I've never seen anything official from Pennzoil stating that.

Maybe because it is printed right on the bottle. But whatever.
21.gif

Yes. Only one i know of.

Sometimes the pds can give you a hint, for example Durablend looks to be fairly high to me. As mentioned any blend that is Dexos is going to be fairly high as well.

But it is mostly a guessing game still.

Schaeffer was pretty up front with me that their blend is a 25% Grp IV and 75% group II+ mix.

Even their full synthetic is technically a "blend" as it is 25% Grp IV and 75% Grp III. Bet that if some of the other oil brands were honest, their full synthetic are probably also a blend of IV and III also.

Almost like "ceramic" brake pads. Sprinkle a little "ceramic" fairy dust in a big batch of brake pad material and call it ceramic. As long as its got some ceramic particles in the pad material it meets the definition.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Yes. Only one i know of.

Sometimes the pds can give you a hint, for example Durablend looks to be fairly high to me. As mentioned any blend that is Dexos is going to be fairly high as well.

But it is mostly a guessing game still.

Yup, the bottle (Pennzoil Gold) says 'at least 50% synthetic...'
I agree, the Dexos certifiction would indicate to me some substantial % of synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
This one is "at least 30% synthetic, as per my phone call to the manufacturer. The info is not on the bottle or website.
k2-_dbdfc6b4-bb87-4279-9172-b4a4ba2519c8.v1.jpg

I would feel better if it was documented. Maybe the person on the phone was told it was 30% by the guy down the hall who in turn was told by a guy down the other hall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would feel better if it was documented. Maybe the person on the phone was told it was 30% by the guy down the hall who in turn was told by a guy down the other hall.

I am guessing that they really don't like to say on the bottle or webpage because it makes it easier for them to change it.

Synthetic stateside is typically NOT a technical synthetic, so you have near, possibly 10% in a "Fully Synthetic", and < 1/2 of 0% in semi-synthetic.

Why not use "real" oil instead?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

"Contains 95% Natural Mineral Oils"

Did anyone ever claim PAO (or even GRPIII catdewaxed) has good lubricity?

Great answers, it kind of validates my theory that even Pennzoil's cheapest oil is probably world class compared to some cheap blends.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Almost like "ceramic" brake pads. Sprinkle a little "ceramic" fairy dust in a big batch of brake pad material and call it ceramic. As long as its got some ceramic particles in the pad material it meets the definition.

Kinda sad when you think about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back