is this acceptable???

Status
Not open for further replies.
was at the store getting tires rotated and notice this. the end is at the center of the vehicle.

IMG_20150224_130020_zps2c4hca7a.jpg

IMG_20150224_130042_zpsspkbqeko.jpg

I almost feel admiration for the fellow who managed this balancing act. Nonetheless, I would not be pleased if I were to find my vehicle close to teeter-tottering.

hotwheels

I've seen them lift a big SUV with chrome side steps and they bent upwards several inches, and then when they lowered it the side steps didn't bend back down.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What exactly are we looking at here?
21.gif

i had to take it through the window thus the reflection. if you look at the lift the end of it is at the center of the vehicle. looks really likely to teeter over

If I saw that, I'd ask for my keys right back before those bozos even touched my car
15.gif

That's Discoount for ya! Watched them damage the undercarriage on a customer's newer BMW last Friday. That same lift ripped up a splash guard. A manager used a single floor jack to lift one side of the car in the parking lot, then crawl under it with no safety stand to rip off the damaged guard.

Fortunately they were mounting four loose tires and wheels for me, and didn't have possession of my car.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
What part of the vehicle is supporting the weight ?

The put blocks on the lift and it on the frame. it can be seen at the end of the lift

I can't tell what part of the vehicle is supporting the weight, but the lift looks like it was designed for this and is being used for its intended purpose. You wouldn't use that lift to lift just one end of the vehicle would you?

I would have left, I hate places that simply want you to swipe your card.

Costco/Sams club are the most professionals when it comes to tires. They will balance and rebalance and rotate until your down to your last thread. Every time they work on your car, they check balance and everything else.

You paying with your membership not money, install was basicly free. and twice they have patched up my tires for me, free of charge.

Last edited:
Kinda looks like a mid-rise lift. Might be doing it about right.

A polarizing filter will take window glare out of your spy photos. If you have sunglasses they probably have this. I also see an open bay door you could have walked 30 feet to use for a better picture.

With that type of lift, it has to be closer to the front of the vehicle. If it were centered, the weight of the engine and transmission would make it tip forward. These are simple lifts, that are much cheaper and have a lower insurance cost. A friend of mine has one, and that's how we use it with our trucks. With the cars it is more centered.

The Discount Tire I shop at, puts my truck on the same way, but they put a floor jack with a pad under the differential just to be safe. I have seen them put 2 jacks under the shock mount on trucks with custom differential covers.

Last edited:
The truth is that none of us really know because we're looking at poor-quality pictures and we weren't there to see where the blocks were placed or how secure the vehicle actually may be.

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.

There are situations where the vehicle may be tipped a little one way like in the picture, but may in fact be quite secure.

My experience has been that no tire place is perfect, but Discount Tire is the best tire chain I've ever been to and is now my go-to place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back