People that don't watch TV are weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, today I had a conversation with a coworker and I explained to them that I currently do not own any TVs because I ended up giving my TVs away because outside of the Super Bowl and the NBA Finals, I don't watch TV at all. In fact, the TVs I gave away both had a thick layer of dust on them.

I also went on to explain that there is really nothing on TV that I know of that is geared towards men and the two or three channels that I know of that are somewhat catered towards men are satellite/cable channels and I can't justify the cost to watch two or three channels.

In addition to this, I mentioned that my connection to the outside world is via Yahoo news and YouTube and honestly, it's been that way for a few years now.

Their response was that I was weird. I chuckled.....

Obviously, I don't care about the whole weird label as it was funny to me (I literally chuckled), but out of curiosity, how many of you watch as little TV as I do or none at all?

So, you're asking guys on a motor oil website about normalcy?

Yeah, ok...
crazy.gif

It is weird to me, as the tone you've put on it.

"There is really nothing on TV that I know of that is geared towards men"

Now I'm no Brony, but I don't seek out things to watch on TV on the basis of them reinforcing my gender.

That being said, I don't watch THAT much TV.
But the choices of news, reruns, and bone idle grade things to watch is nice.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Yahoo news? I was with you until that one.

Come on now. We all know that every news outlet has an angle. You read stuff and make your own determination/conclusion based on what you read.

I have a television, but no network TV. I also have internet access (obviously), a [censored] ton of movies, TV shows (on DVD) and video games. Plenty of junk to keep me busy if I wanted.

I agree with you. It is hard to justify spending x when only a few channels are interesting. Other than that, I don't think the network TV has much to offer. Money better spent elsewhere IMO.

Hello, "Let me tell ya!"
At 17 I moved into a college dorm and brought no TV. At 18 I was in an apartment and stayed without TV for another 20 years easily. I honesty do not remember how long.

TV and cultural trivia books are things I score zeros on.

There was a girl in 5th grade who said they had no TV in their house.
The teacher said that was "No good".

I haven't reinvented the wheel with the freed up time either but things are peaceful.
We watch Mets games for sure! Hmmm...peaceful and depressing! Kira

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
It's one 20 profile criteria for serial killers.

Who has time to watch tv, when you are busy stalking your next kill?

I agree, I don't like TV also. I specifically dislike our only choice here (Cable One) they have tried to drop every single "popular" channel.

Every time they have some stupid excuse like "if we agree to a simple $0.50 raise on every channel your bill would go up $20".

Which is complete and udder nonsense. Am I the only one foolish enough to buy cable from them? Are they airing this commercial specifically for me?

No, they have 900k-ish subscribers so $0.50×40÷900k people is near nothing. Every time they air one of theses commercials I don't know if they are stupid or just take us for stupid.

Think of every popular channel you have we have lost it at one point or another. We lost all of Viacom which I couldn't really care for anyways but they gave us 10-12 channels that ultimately end up as paid programing from 8:30pm-9:30am each day.

I travel a lot for business and every single Hotel iv been at has had a better selection.

Oh, and to add insult to injury every time we lose a very popular channel and get nothing of remote value in return our cable bill has went up.

I dislike very few company's but Cable One is at the top of the list. You think GM's bean counters are bad? Imagine a cable company that has dropped every large new station at some point in the last 2 years for 1+ months at a time and replaced it with vertically 24/7 paid programing.

I have a hatred for this company and would drop them in a heart beat if it wasn't for the wifey. I pay the bill every month in pure hatred. Maybe I'll start paying in loose change and thank them for wasting my time.

I would never say weird. However a bragging right to not watch TV is weird too.

Sort of like people who talk about going to the gym.

I don't think that's weird. I watch everything I need to online and from my movie collection. Nothing tickles my fancy on TV; find most of it to be garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back