(very) Low Mile 03 Jetta TDI Opposing Oil Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be hard to believe but I happen to own an 03 MKIV Jetta TDI with about 64,000 miles. I've owned the car for about a year when it had 46,000 miles on the clock. I bought the car from Carmax, which wasn't my 1st choice but there aren't exactly too many sub 50K MKIVs laying around these days. They claim to do a full service, fluids, etc. So I ran it for 9,300, changed the oil with Valvoline 5w 40 and took a sample. What I got back was a little worrying. I ran it for another 10K and took a sample and they couldn't hardly believe I ran it for 10,000!

So... what do you think explains the differences between the two reports? And how do my numbers look now?

view

Carmax screwed you over, didn't change the oil or used bulk oil that wasn't approved for your vehicle.

Carmax is way overpriced but I guess if your looking for something really low mileage, that is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Carmax screwed you over, didn't change the oil or used bulk oil that wasn't approved for your vehicle.

That's what I had figured too. Between the weather and being a teacher I decided to wait to change it during my time off in the summer. Should have went with my gut and changed it earlier, I guess.

Also for my trouble Carmax busted my grille clearing snow (after I first looked at it but before I bought it). They graciously replaced my original with a chinese knockoff with low quality paint job. I wanted to be done with them so I didn't argue. I will say my salesman was good to deal with... I usually can't stand them.

Last edited:
Your most recent numbers look good and are comparable to UOAs on my 03 TDI. I agree that Carmax likely used whatever bulk oil they had on hand in the first sample. VW ALH TDIs are happy on almost anything that's rated for diesel service. Rotella T6 and M1 TDT, while not VW 505.00 approved oils, have returned many favorable UOAs in these engines.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb....,_#Post3538296

Yea they probably did change the oil but just used a conventional 5w30 bulk type and you ran it longer than it should have gone.

I know I'm late to the party, but I bought my Jetta from Carmax as well (only because I could get exactly what I wanted without having to travel they shipped it, also was a low mile 08 model with only 44K in 2013...) and they changed the oil according to documents with 5w20. Luckily I only ran it a couple days before realizing this is a no-no for a VW. Food for thought.

Last edited:
If anyone looking at a car at Carmax stumbles across this forum post (especially a VW diesel) stay away from Carmax or service the vehicle as soon as possible to keep from damaging it if you do buy from them. I love my TDI and would buy it again, but I would have serviced it much, much sooner than I did.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, while the viscosity is wrong....

it would have met the rest of the API requirements for the motor: CF-4 or CG-4 (which did get superceded later).

or
ACEA A3/B4
VW505.00

which... btw, the 505.00 oil would have met ACEA A3/B4, but not the API specification, as they were rated CF.

That first oil, the one you ran for 9300 miles, wasn't a diesel oil at all - Zn and Ph levels are just too low.

I'd guess it was just a generic 10W-40 that sheared down a bit.

I would never buy a car from carmax either, however I understand why you would finding a alh tdi with 46k!!! As others have said, I think you're fine now with what you're using!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back