Maintenance Mystery: Plug Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we bought a 1999 Plymouth Voyager 2.4L with 3 speed automatic about 2 years ago. It had 114,500 miles at the time.

Around 125,000 miles it was having intermittent misfire and hesitation. I installed new plug wires and then it ran fine.

Around 129,000 miles the intermittent misfire and hesitation came back. I changed the plugs (used Champion copper) and then it ran fine.

Around 139,000 the intermittent misfire and hesitation came back. I finally took it to a shop and they replaced the plug wires. Now it runs fine.

The wires I bought were Tailor resistor wires. The wires the shop just put on are Federal Pro Series by Standard.

What would make the plug wires fail in only 14,000 miles. They were not mishandled and were not against the exhaust manifold. I did not yank on them or twist them beyond slightly for installing.

21.gif

A lot of plug wire sets are just plain garbage.

I try to use NGK if I can, great wires.

Bosch and Prestolite make some pretty good wires, I use ACDelco wires when I work on Opels.

The Motorcraft wires they sell here are garbage.

The Belden brand wires they sell at Napa are usually decent.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

Belden makes Motorcraft wires. IMO, the Motorcraft wires are better, even though they are almost the same.

I've had great results with the factory Motorcraft plug wires and the replacement Motorcraft plug wires. Most likely I changed them when I really didn't need to.

Whimsey

Installation of new plug wires could have been faulty if they were improperly routed and a wire melted or shorted out from touching the hot engine.

Well, we'll see how long the new wires last. The Taylors were from an AutoValue store. But like I said, I was pretty gentle with them in the installation. Ah well, next time it starts to hesitating, I'll suspect the wires first.

It may have been these (not necessarily the correct set, but see the brand:
New-Xact-Spark-Plug-Wire-Set-Model-2961.jpg

According to this PDF file, Xact make wires called Tailor but it is a convoluted list of ownership including Standard Motor Products, which may be the same Standard as the Federal Pro wires I have now.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Belden makes Motorcraft wires. IMO, the Motorcraft wires are better, even though they are almost the same.

Motorcraft wires that they sell here, as in [here in] Mexico.

Lots of parts that Motorcraft and ACDelco sell here [in Mexico] have a M prefix or suffix which means they are special low quality parts that are only for sale in Mexico.

Examples: M42XLS, Chinese ACDelco spark plug; MFL-400A, Motorcraft oil filter made by Gonher or Interfil.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I've had great results with the factory Motorcraft plug wires and the replacement Motorcraft plug wires. Most likely I changed them when I really didn't need to.

Whimsey

The factory parts on Fords are not Motorcraft parts. Motorcraft parts may be original or aftermarket parts which come with a red label. Original Ford parts have a blue label.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Well, we'll see how long the new wires last. The Taylors were from an AutoValue store. But like I said, I was pretty gentle with them in the installation. Ah well, next time it starts to hesitating, I'll suspect the wires first.

It may have been these (not necessarily the correct set, but see the brand:
New-Xact-Spark-Plug-Wire-Set-Model-2961.jpg

According to this PDF file, Xact make wires called Tailor but it is a convoluted list of ownership including Standard Motor Products, which may be the same Standard as the Federal Pro wires I have now.

It is hard to know what wires are in a Xact package.
In 2002,I had to change plugs and wires on my dad's 1997 Lexus ES300. Each wire had "Yazaki" written on it, the same company that made the OEM wires.

I would say you have another issue. The new plugs and wires are only temporarily masking another problem. Possibly something as simple as a faulty cap and/or rotor. Injector is another possibility.

Hello, I was wondering why someone changing wires didn't change the cap and rotor and at least inspect the plugs at the same time.

Also, if mechanics and dealerships are such shameless thieves, why didn't they steer you towards a cap and rotor. ? Kira

I don't think this car has a cap and rotor. The plug wires come off of a blocky thing, maybe a coil pack. I'll take another look tonight.

The first set went bad and I wondered if it was because I had left the old spark plugs in and then the plugs went bad. Maybe the bad plugs ruined the wires?

I used Taylor wires on a Buick GN and was pleased with them. I did order them from a racing parts house. I have forgotten what MM size they were but they were thick and heavy.

I don't think this car has a cap and rotor. The plug wires come off of a blocky thing, maybe a coil pack. I'll take another look tonight.

The first set went bad and I wondered if it was because I had left the old spark plugs in and then the plugs went bad. Maybe the bad plugs ruined the wires?

I was thinking V6...

Originally Posted By: bama7x57

I was thinking V6...

Ok. Well still I should take a look. This one is a gem being a 4 popper. I love it, that little 2.4 L has plenty of power for daily grocery getting and church kid group hauling. Gets 22-23 mpg consistently with or without a load.

The 35$ set of 8mm taylor's lowest end model have lasted the longest, by far of any other wires I tried.

Keeping the wires from touching each other or anything grounded is Key to lifespan, in my opinion.

I've skinned my previous sets of Beldens and Accels to double up on insulation in some areas where the Taylors approach or want to touch each other or my valve covers or other components.

Taylor gave me two different Coil to distributor cables. I tried and could not skin the unused wire, which was such a simple task on the other brands.

Originally Posted By: bama7x57
I would say you have another issue. The new plugs and wires are only temporarily masking another problem. Possibly something as simple as a faulty cap and/or rotor. Injector is another possibility.

I was thinking something along these lines also. Maybe a weak coil or coil pack, possibly due to bad coil, low voltage, or a weak signal etc. I suspect your issue will re-surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back