Mobil 1 EP 5W-30-7,579 miles 2007-Mazdaspeed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ms31114oilreports-page-0_zps6012b137.jpg

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Thanks for posting. Are they all EP?

I switched from Mobil 1 5W-30 to Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 at 114,672 miles.

One additional note; the car is running the relatively mild Hypertech tune(installed at 135.5k miles) as well as the Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake(installed at 43.2k miles). The engine is making @300 hp at the crank and putting out @320 lb-ft of torque.

Perfect trend.
I'd give any 0w40 or the M1-HM a try to see if visc or extra Z/P can lower the iron average.

Hi,
Greasymechtech - I really don't see your point? This engine is performing very well indeed with a great history to prove it

The Fe uptake rate average appears to be = 0.0020 PPM/km

My HD DD engines that ran to many millions of kms without rebuild average = 0.0014 PPM/km

Simply to see if OP can lower that fe uptake rate. I prefer ppm per 1k distance as ppm per mile or km looks too small and may give a false sense of security.

I also dont like to compare to unlike engines.

Hi,
Greasymechtech - false sense of security?

It is unwise to simply take the PPM wear metals in a simple UOA as an accurate measure or engine wear unless you take use trending programme to achieve a baseline "performance indicator".

At best then a UOA will perhaps show a slowly rising or falling trend. What then?? Considering that the lubricant condemnation level in some engine families is around 200 PPM for FE - what will a trend variance of say 2 or 3 PPM show

This why some of us use/used the PQ Index

Measuring minor PPM variances in a typical UOA is interesting - UOAs are best used to monitor the condition of the lubricant!

Originally Posted By: webfors
What oil filter was used?

I have always used the OEM Mazda cartridge.

I'm shocked at how good these reports are. My 2008 MS3 cooked its oil in 3000 miles. It would be jet black, fuel diluted, out-of-spec viz. this engine was harder on oil than any engine I've ever owned, and I didn't consider myself to be particularly hard on it, other than many short trips.

OP... very good reports! You average approx 7500 miles between changes.

With a current 4.6 TBN on latest report, just out of curiosity, do you think you could do 10,000 between changes?

I ask because just recently changed to 5W-30 Mobil 1 EP in my Toyota 4Runner 4.7 V8.

The EP oil seems to do very well across the board in most vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I'm shocked at how good these reports are. My 2008 MS3 cooked its oil in 3000 miles. It would be jet black, fuel diluted, out-of-spec viz. this engine was harder on oil than any engine I've ever owned, and I didn't consider myself to be particularly hard on it, other than many short trips.

Might have something to do with the tune.

Originally Posted By: Climb14er
OP... very good reports! You average approx 7500 miles between changes.

With a current 4.6 TBN on latest report, just out of curiosity, do you think you could do 10,000 between changes?

I ask because just recently changed to 5W-30 Mobil 1 EP in my Toyota 4Runner 4.7 V8.

The EP oil seems to do very well across the board in most vehicles.

Sorry for the incredibly late reply, but yes- I could probably go 10k between changes, but my dealer performs oil changes for free as long as I own the car(I provide the M1) and 7.5k aligns with the other servicing requirements.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: webfors
What oil filter was used?

I have always used the OEM Mazda cartridge.

Is the Mazda filter the same as the MC? Spin on or cartridge?

Great report! I expect that d.i. to completely come undone at any momment...you know, with dilution, deposits and all.

thumbsup2.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Great report! I expect that d.i. to completely come undone at any momment...you know, with dilution, deposits and all.

thumbsup2.gif
wink.gif

Yeah, me too. I'm just living on borrowed time...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back