Napa filters..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought my mother a 2008 Honda Accord.. pretty common vehicle with the filters matching many other vehicles. Went to Napa to get filters since the car is new to me. I opened up all the boxes and found..

Oil Filters- Napa Gold- Made in Mexico, Napa Silver- Made in Mexico, Napa ProSelect- Made in USA.

Air Filters- Napa Gold, Napa Silver and Napa ProSelect- All made in Poland ( I took them all out of the box and cannot find one bit of difference in any of them).

Is the Mexican plant better at making oil filters? I went with the USA ProSelect.

Im guessing that The $5 difference in the air filters is the box?

Just because a product is made in another country does not make it any better or worse than one made here.

Their gold filters are some of the best in the industry.

The Napa Golds for my Honda are made in Mexico. The Napa Golds for my Nissan and Toyota are made in USA.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Just because a product is made in another country does not make it any better or worse than one made here.

Example K&N moved production to China and Korea, now filtration dropped to 80% yet the same price.

Me and my
49.gif
we'll get a better filter

Last edited:
The majority of the Napa filters are made in the USA I believe but certainly not all as you have seen.

All the common filters for our domestics are US made. The KIA filter is made in South Korea though fittingly enough.

All exhibit typical Wix build quality regardless of origin from what I have seen.

98% of all the goods you use in your daily life are made overseas. Who cares where the filters are made, what is the difference!

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Example K&N moved production to China and Korea, now filtration dropped to 80% yet the same price.

Me and my
49.gif
we'll get a better filter

K+N sucks no matter where they are made.

The difference in the air filters is the media, not quality of construction. You bought the worst filtering of the 3.

Nothing wrong with Mexican made WIX filters since they have the same manufacturing standards, but I would at least prefer to see them in the same price range as the other US made WIX filters.

Oreillys has them at $7.99.. Sorry anti framites, but I can get a TG for less than $6 and an Ultra for less than a dollar more. Plus they are US made.

I was able to pick up a Mexican Napa Gold for $4.15 during their sale though. I had to jump on the BITOG bandwagon and that was the only filter I needed at the time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The difference in the air filters is the media, not quality of construction. You bought the worst filtering of the 3.

Not saying you are right or wrong..but i had them all laid out on the counter and unless i had a microscope there was no difference to be seen.

How does wix / napa decide on the by-pass valve set-up...? I have a Subaru spec 7055 with the thread end by-pass valve, and a Honda spec 1356 that is almost identical in size, but has a dome end by-pass...

Seems strange that similar size filters would be opposite...

Originally Posted By: geeman789
How does wix / napa decide on the by-pass valve set-up...? I have a Subaru spec 7055 with the thread end by-pass valve, and a Honda spec 1356 that is almost identical in size, but has a dome end by-pass...

Seems strange that similar size filters would be opposite...

Regarding Wix/Napa from what I've seen it may depend on what the OEM filter uses. Napa Silvers for example mostly use combo valves BUT on the 31516 it uses a thread end bypass just like the Motorcraft FL-400s it replaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back