whats the scoop on mufflers

Status
Not open for further replies.
years ago the midas mufflers (chain store mufflers) lasted about 16 months, then japanese oem had better mufflers that seemed to last forever, at least 10 or 12 years.
but when your camry or nissan needs a muffler or pipe, whats the scoop on what to get?
does aftermarket last or do they fail quick like in the 70s?
good brands to buy?
don't see much discussion on this

Last edited:
Good question.

I still have the OEM exhaust on my yota, although I've patched it twice and had a weld repair once.

I did enough reading online to expect disappointment with any aftermarket systems, even Bosal, Walker etc.

What is the current technology for mufflers?

Aluminized steel was the cheap, ubiquitous material years ago.

A decade ago when I bought a Bosal muffler, nominally OEM, that lasted far less time than the factory one.

The only alternative seems to be Chinese stainless steel systems, made from the thinnest possible metal with a reputation for needing to be forced into place.

I have Walker mufflers on the Monte and haven't had issues so far. Been on for about a year.

The manufacturers slowly switched over to stainless steel so OEM mufflers last a long longer. Back in the 80's you'd replace a muffler every two years or so which kept shops like Midas in business. Now pretty much all those muffler shops are just general maintenance shops as mufflers last a lot longer than they used to. With that said, I replaced the factory muffler about 5 years ago with a Walker muffler, just replaced it again as the old one finally rusted out. OEM lasted about 9 years. Got the lifetime warranty on the Walker so the 2nd one didn't cost me anything besides shipping.

Try to find a used muffler on a Toyota forum. I did that when my Chevy's muffler rusted out. Found one from Florida, shipped, for about 40 bucks.

My 87 Ford had the original pipes and muffler on it when I bought it in 2012. I put bigger pipe and a Flowmaster on it to help it breathe. 420cuin was choked by the stock 2.25 single pipe.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The manufacturers slowly switched over to stainless steel so OEM mufflers last a long longer. Back in the 80's you'd replace a muffler every two years or so which kept shops like Midas in business. Now pretty much all those muffler shops are just general maintenance shops as mufflers last a lot longer than they used to. With that said, I replaced the factory muffler about 5 years ago with a Walker muffler, just replaced it again as the old one finally rusted out. OEM lasted about 9 years. Got the lifetime warranty on the Walker so the 2nd one didn't cost me anything besides shipping.

IMO not for most of the imported automobiles such as Honda or Toy...they still on thick steel mufflers (not sure about whose supplying those brands, but for the longest time, Mazda got their supply OEM mufflers from Senkei)

Truth is, with lowered sulphur in gasoline (now @ 30ppm, as opposed to more than 100ppm (some recorded as high as 230ppm in late 90s, from petrocan), emission controlled cars with CAT now converts less exhaust gas into sulphuric acid vapour per miles than, say, back up to and including the 90s.

As a result: regardless of stainless steel or high grade steel, muffler lasted much, much longer (citing that my dad's 7th gen civic still on it's original factory muffler and piping for 15 yrs now and going).

muffler shops pretty much part of the history nowadays, unless they convert their business model to doing specialty installation/products.

Q.

If you want to keep the car it's worth spending the extra to get something bespoke fitted to the car - I have a receipt in my car history folder from 1995, the PO had a 304 grade system bent up and fitted and it's still on the car to this day. It doesnt squeak or rattle or bang on the floor and all I've had to do was replace a couple of rubber hangers in 2009/2010 ish.

Looks and sounds better, and saves time and money over the long run..

Most aftermarket are galvanized unless it says stainless and you will pay $600 or more for that most of the time. OEM uses 400 grades of stainless which adds no nickel and uses less chromium than higher quality 300 grades. Original stainless appliances used 300 grade but eventually gave way to making it cheaper and now at times they even use carbon steel with a sanded surface which is then laquered for a fingerproof finish. I would not go aftermarket unless you are in a fair weather climate as the salt will trash it in 2 years or less. Go used OEM to save money and it will last much longer.

Originally Posted By: Quest
muffler shops pretty much part of the history nowadays, unless they convert their business model to doing specialty installation/products.

They stay in business replacing those flex pieces that break on every car:
auto-part-corrugated-exhaust-flex-pipe.jpg

Exhaust system life has a lot to do with how a car is used.
Drive it far enough on most starts to dry everything out and the exhaust system will last about forever.
Drive the car two or three miles on each cold start and you'll be replacing mufflers and flex pipes on a regular basis.
I'd use a local pipe bender for exhaust work before I'd use a chain. I use a local indie myself. Cheap, fast and does good work.
This is also one of those cases where somebody who knows what they're doing will beat a flanged together aftermarket system.
I've bought these in the past and been dissapointed in their longevity.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Good question.

I still have the OEM exhaust on my yota, although I've patched it twice and had a weld repair once.

I did enough reading online to expect disappointment with any aftermarket systems, even Bosal, Walker etc.

================
does walker have more than one quality level?
?
the mechanic shop I use, they recommend walker quiet flow, I could stand 5 yr life but don't want the old midas replace every 2 year [censored].

All my cars from 1994 LS400 to the 2006 V70 have original mufflers and pipes. Probably because we don't have salt on the streets and not enough rain either to get those things rusty.

I just replaced the factory muffler on my 13 year old F-150. The factory muffler had a large rusted hole on the topside close to the exit. It was a bit loader but not cheap sounding
grin.gif
. All the rest of the pipes are still in very good condition. I got an exact fit stainless steel Walker replacement muffler from Advance Auto for $101 with AAP discount codes. My indie mechanic charged me ~$100 to cut the old muffler out and fabricate extensions and install the new muffler. It all fits like factory and it's totally quiet again
smile.gif
. Ironically my wife's 2005 Explorer's tailpipe and muffler rotted and broke recently, that cost her $460 to have replaced with stainless steel parts. The Indie got the parts so she paid full freight, needed it right away and could not wait for them to be shipped like mine were. Ironically she drives mainly highway and I do mainly more local roads.

Whimsey

EPA's warranty on new cats pretty much forces stainless up to at least the rear flange of the cat.

Back when we had leaded gas there was an acidic scavenger that went with lead that ate tailpipes up fast.

Yes, unleaded did it here - we went unleaded in the late 90's, and then mufflers stopped rotting out. Exhaust shops started doing brakes and servicing to stay in business. The exhaust systems didn't change, but the fuel did.

Exhaust work is one of the few things we do not do in house here on our fleet. But we simply do not need to do anything anymore as pipes and mufflers outlast the vehicle in Florida in our duty cycle.

Go to any fancy car show and you can quickly get some great indie pipe benders. Some of them are nearly artists, I have challenged them with hot rods and boats for decades and I generally get a nearly permanent solution...

Dakota's have all Stainless Steel exhausts. I'm on my second long-term from-new Dakota ownership, and all I've replaced is the Cat on the first one (it was always a bit of an oil burner) and a bolt on the second one.

If I ever do have to replace it, I'll pay the bucks for Mopar pipes and be done with it.

I agree with Steve, a good pipe guy is an artist, and well worth the money.

My exhaust system (minus flexpipe) is still original on my 1996 toyota camry with 244k. Its entire life has been spent in MN, to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back