Best Honda DW-1 or Z-1 replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2004 Honda Odyssey w/ 138k miles to become the "new" family hauler. One-owner vehicle. It has some service records and documented transmission fluid changes, but records are not complete. The owner stopped using dealer service a couple/few years ago, and the last ATF flush was about 15k ago, using Kendall Versatrans ATF, which appears to be a run-of-the-mill Dex III product.

The fluid color on the dipstick leaves a lot to be desired, it's an off-pink with sort of a grey tinge to it. Might be wear metals or clutch material discoloring the fluid; I know these Honda trannies are not the most robust. Transmission shifts fine, I notice no slipping or anything out of the ordinary.

That said, I want to keep it that way and begin my ownership with a complete fluid overhaul. I'm told you can't get to the filter, so my thought was to do several ATF fluid drain & refills in succession. I was thinking of buying cheap Dex-III clone to do the first 3 drain & refills (just to get the old, presumably used-up fluid out), then do about three more drail refills with a nice quality Synthetic, or whatever is considered best for this transmission.

What service / fluid would you guys recommend? Actual experiences with this transmission & different fluids in it would be especially helpful. I'm not dead-set on using dealer fluid, if there's a better product out there for the price. Has anyone used a Dex VI or low viscosity ATF in these tranmissions? I've had good luck with the LV ATF's in other vehicles. Last few vehicles I've done ATF service on, I've used Mag1 Full Synthetic (fairly cheap on Amazon) with good results. Thinking about doing the same on this Honda, but it's my first Honda and I'm unsure what fluids work best in these unique transmissions.

Straight Dex-III in a Honda transmission of that vintage? No!!!!!!!!!

Use DW-1, Amsoil ATF, or Maxlife ATF. Those are known to work well in Honda transmissions that specified Z-1.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Drain and fill with DW-1.
Not much more to it.

That's good advice, the only other viable fluid I would use in a pinch is Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF which IS listed as a
suitable for use with Honda/Acura using BOTH the newest DW-1 and Z-1.

Is that one of the trouble years for that transmission? I'd go OEM fluid (DW-1) and pray it doesn't implode.

You could probably use Maxlife ATF in this application.
It is a shear-stable fully synthetic fluid. It is thinner than Z-1 at install, but Z-1 quickly shears to an even thinner viscosity.
If you want to use the recommended fluid, google Curry Acura.
They sell DW-1 for around $70.00 for a full twelve quart case shipped.
I bought a case for drain and fills on the '12 Accord.
Interstingly, the Acura labeled ATF was about a quarter cheaper per quart than that wearing a Honda label.
Go figure.

My concern with doing a simple drain / fill is that only a quarter of the total fluid volume will be replaced. Would more than one fluid drain be justified? I thought this was standard modus operandi when suspect fluid quality / poor maintenance was employed.

I use Honda DW-1 for the 2009 Honda CR-V doing a drain and fill at 15k and will do d&f every 30k.

Last fall, I started the first of three drain and fills to proceed in short mileage intervals for my B-I-Ls 2005 Honda Odyssey ( original owner / 83k ) using Castrol Transmax Import (12 qts) He drove home at 100 mles and did another, completing his final the day after. No ill effects so far. This was the first drain and fill process this vehicle ever had.

We decided on Castrol at AAP from historical threads on this site, on sale price and the nearly $10 qt. quoted price for DW-1 at an uppity Honda dealership.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
My concern with doing a simple drain / fill is that only a quarter of the total fluid volume will be replaced. Would more than one fluid drain be justified? I thought this was standard modus operandi when suspect fluid quality / poor maintenance was employed.

Since you said the last fluid change was done 15K miles ago, performing a single D/F right now seems adequate to me. 15K mile D/F's using DW1 is what I stick with on my Hondas. The official Honda procedure for a full 'flush' is doing 3 D/F's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Mag 1 Low-Vis is great stuff!

I'm definitely a fan of it. The Mag1 line of Synthetic ATF's is about the cheapest full-syn money can buy, even moreso if you have Amazon Prime.

I did three drain/fills of the Mag1 Low-Vis in my '02 Mazda Tribute and it noticeably improved shift quality over the regular Mercon stuff it had in it before. If I could use it in the Honda I would, but given the unique non-planetary design of the Honda transmission, I don't want to be the guinea pig.

I'm definitely a fan of it.
-snip-
If I could use it in the Honda I would, but given the unique non-planetary design of the Honda transmission, I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Mag 1 should be fine in your Honda
smile.gif

51cIPjUk4vL.jpg

http://www.trademotion.com/shoppingcart/index.cfm?action=viewcart&siteid=214999&showheader=true&zipcode=0&retval=%2Fparts%2Findex%2Ecfm%3Faction%3DoePartSearch%26siteid%3D214999%26make%3DAcura%26year%3D%26model%3D%26submodel%3D%26searchText%3D08200-9008a

Above is a link to Curry Acura and the DW1 ATF

Last edited:
I bought a 2004 Honda Odyssey w/ 138k miles to become the "new" family hauler. One-owner vehicle. It has some service records and documented transmission fluid changes, but records are not complete. The owner stopped using dealer service a couple/few years ago, and the last ATF flush was about 15k ago, using Kendall Versatrans ATF, which appears to be a run-of-the-mill Dex III product.

The fluid color on the dipstick leaves a lot to be desired, it's an off-pink with sort of a grey tinge to it. Might be wear metals or clutch material discoloring the fluid; I know these Honda trannies are not the most robust. Transmission shifts fine, I notice no slipping or anything out of the ordinary.

That said, I want to keep it that way and begin my ownership with a complete fluid overhaul. I'm told you can't get to the filter, so my thought was to do several ATF fluid drain & refills in succession. I was thinking of buying cheap Dex-III clone to do the first 3 drain & refills (just to get the old, presumably used-up fluid out), then do about three more drail refills with a nice quality Synthetic, or whatever is considered best for this transmission.

What service / fluid would you guys recommend? Actual experiences with this transmission & different fluids in it would be especially helpful. I'm not dead-set on using dealer fluid, if there's a better product out there for the price. Has anyone used a Dex VI or low viscosity ATF in these tranmissions? I've had good luck with the LV ATF's in other vehicles. Last few vehicles I've done ATF service on, I've used Mag1 Full Synthetic (fairly cheap on Amazon) with good results. Thinking about doing the same on this Honda, but it's my first Honda and I'm unsure what fluids work best in these unique transmissions.

I know this is old but I would love to hear back as I have this exact van and plan to start moving to Transmax IMV from Castrol per the recommendation of a local transmission shop that says it works great. I plan to do a drain and fill and continue every 15k miles. currently dw-1 is in there. Thanks for any update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back