2010 RAV 4 Transmission Fluid ....change or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mechanic says trani oil is black and needs changed. When I asked Toyota to change it they said it was supposed to be purple and did not need changed. It had 44,000 mi on it when I boughtit Oct 28,2013 ...now has 55,000 mi in Feb 2015. I don't trust Toyota needless to say. Any suggestions? Thank you, Donna

Donna, it will be good to change the transmission fluid. Toyota's fluid is dark anyway, yes, but it'll be good to change it. If you don't do it yourself at home, I would recommend taking it to an independent shop you trust and have them simply drain the old fluid out and fill it back up with new fluid. I would not recommend a transmission fluid "flush" that is sold at many repair facilities these days.

+1 on do the change. My Chevy truck says trans and diff's are good until they leak but the metallic paste in both at 80k on the factory fill says otherwise. It was a used truck! Now at 143k and all is good. Changed at 80k then 100k and then 50k intervals to the end of its days.

I would do a drain fill every 30k. I do this will all the Toyotas in my family, my wife is the youngest of 7 and the first car they bought was a corolla so there are quite a few.

I use Valvoline maxlife and the Rav4 and corollas have not had any trans issues yet.

50-60k miles is usually a great time to replace the transmission oil. So don't give the dealership anymore money. You are in San Diego, the west coast, so you'll have no trouble finding a good local Toyota mechanic or a mechanic that specializes in transmissions.

Just tell them it's time to drain/refill the automatic transmission and they'll do it. You could do it as well. It's easier than an oil change. Remember it's just drain/refill, not drain/drop the pan/refill. Best of luck.

Hello, Let me make it 7 people who are recommending a drain & fill.
Don't even let them use the word "flush". If they act like they or you don't know what you're talking about, leave.

Stupidity Dept.: 1) Draining a transmission's sump and refilling with new fluid is sometimes called a "flush".
Likely they say that to charge people more.

2) Disconnecting a transmission cooling line and letting the unit pump out old fluid (a "pump out") is sometimes called a "flush".
Likely they say that to charge people more.

3) Disconnecting cooling lines and attaching a crude pumping machine which slams the poor transmission with extreme pressures without regard to direction of flow etc. is sometimes called a "flush".
The existence of their flushing machine is the justification for charging people more.

Just get your transmission fluid drained and filled with a correct fluid. Kira

Pull the transmission drain plug and do a couple of ATF drain and fills with MaxLife LV ATF for $16.97 at Walmart.

Then each spring (before the summer heat arrives) drain and refill the transmission when the vehicle's engine oil is being changed. Bring a gallon of MaxLife and pay the shop an extra $10 - $15 to drain the ATF along with the regularly scheduled LOF change.

Inexpensive maintenance on the (oft neglected) transmission for many years of reliable service to come. This method should only cost about $25 per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back