heat problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one seems a bit odd: While driving out in cold weather today, about 10degrees, after the temp. gauge got most of the way to normal, I turned on the heater fan with heat controls on max and the air coming out of vents was at most lukewarm, not really warm. This was a first; prior to this, it always came out warm. This is on a Chrysler T&C minivan with 3.8 V6 engine. Later on after driving awhile, it was warm air coming out of vents. Turning off the blower for awhile and then restarting it brought normal hot air.
Any ideas on why the lukewarm air, when the temp. gauge was almost to normal?

Easiest things first...Check you coolant level in the radiator & overflow tank when the coolant cools down. Never Open )))HOT(((!

Last edited:
Air in system is my 1st thought, has the cooling system been 'burped'?

Clogged heater core is another possibility.

I'd say normal under the temperature conditions. Something was probably stuck. Just monitor it for a while.

Coolant is not slushed up, but come to think of it, not sure of coolant level. Has been down a bit in the past.
Low levels could cause this?
Having lots of "fun" with all the relentless cold weather this winter.

Originally Posted By: foresthawk
Coolant is not slushed up, but come to think of it, not sure of coolant level. Has been down a bit in the past.
Low levels could cause this?
Having lots of "fun" with all the relentless cold weather this winter.

My nephew called me the other week(Pontiac Vibe) and was questioning the same thing. He was going straight for a new T-Stat. I said first, check the coolant level.

He was down a bit over 1 qt. All is well now! Of course, he could probably use a complete flush or drain & refill with the proper coolant considering the Vibe is an '07. But, at least he now has good heat. IDK what brand of coolant he topped off with??????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Easiest things first...Check you coolant level in the radiator & overflow tank when the coolant cools down. Never Open )))HOT(((!

This is the correct first step and if low, perfectly explains your issues.

edit: Depending on the year, the common problem areas for leaks include the radiator, water pump and steel rear heat lines.

Last edited:
Looks like it: Coolant was down about a quart. Added 50/50 mix, and off we go.
Thanks everyone for all the responses.
Hope I can help you all sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back