GX160 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help with a GX160 honda engine - snowblower.
When I purchased it, it fired up, maintained combustion except that the gas would leak out of the breather tube until empty...

Sat in my garage for a good year and I've started working on it.
Assuming bad needle, float as when I removed the dipstick - oil just started coming out (gas in oil I presume due to overfill capacity).

Drained oil.
Fresh oil.
Checked plug and it's clean.

I did not have any carb cleaner at home so instead of driving out to deal with the carb, I swapped carbs with a working clean carb off another GX160.
Very hard to start.
I've gotten her to start maybe 3 times, with it only to last about 30 seconds at max.
Another thing I noticed, while pulling on the starter, even without the engine igniting, gas started coming out of the breather tube. A good bit I would say.

I'm not sure what you are asking, but FYI that engine has the cheapest carburetor in the world. You can seriously buy a brand new carburetor for like $10. I just replace them and don't even bother cleaning them anymore.

Since it is mounted to a snow blower, the only thing I would do differently would be to compare the jets in the new and old carburetors and make sure to use the larger jets in the new carb as you will need all the gas that you can get in a snow blower to prevent surging and for good power.

Either that or the fuel tank is getting pressurized and forcing the fuel out the vent tube. I'd be checking all the vents to make sure the whole engine is well vented and at atmospheric.

Had one that had a hollow plastic float filled with gas, new float from iboats or some place fixed it up. Should have done all the rubber seals at the same time but didn't.

It's very likely the carb you swapped over to it has issues too, or the fuel in the tank is so cruddy, it messed up the replacement carb.

Like bubba suggested above, just mail-order a replacement carb. I know I don't have the patience or skill to know the intricacies of all carbs.

chefwong...did you get your blower straightened out? I can send you detailed instructions on how to clean that carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back