2001 Honda Valkyrie, M1 4T 10W40 Syn Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the additional thoughts, I would agree with the iron off the starter gears, seems logical.

Frank

I really liked the Valkyrie. A 6 cylinder bike has a lot of power potential.
I've got an 83 Yamaha venture with a v-4. Its a couch on wheels.
Its funny. I spent thousands on a 2008 v-twin to get 107hp/115tq and in 1983 Yamaha was getting over 100hp and 120tq from an 1100cc v-4 engine stock.
Sure my venture isn't my Harley but on the highway that venture is absolutely amazing.
Nice bike.

clevy,
well you cant really put harley and performance in the same sentence unless vance hines is ALSO in that sentence.
but of course his bike and any a rider has is about the same as the camary that matt kenseth drives and the one in the showroom
or the mustang john force wins with and showroom.

my 250cc puts out 42hp at the rear wheel as measured by a ec997a eddy current dyno. thats 168hp per 1000cc or 61ci.
some of the smaller motors are even more

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh
clevy,
well you cant really put harley and performance in the same sentence unless vance hines is ALSO in that sentence.

I would presume the V-rod must escape your perception of "performance" then?

How we define "performance" (power/weight, 1/4 mile, 0-60, handling, braking, fuel economy, etc) kind of shapes the topic, does it not? And how we apply those criteria also has effect; are we talking "in class" or "overall"?

I would agree that many of the HD offerings are a bit lackluster contrasted to hyperformance Aisan bikes, but the V-rod is every bit on par with the likes of other competitor offerings in it's class.

I like all bikes, even bicycles.

My HD Road King is a completely different riding experience from my Valkyrie, I really enjoy both.

From performance, the Road King seems quicker off the line, but the Valkyrie has more top end.

Harley did a nice job on the 2014's in suspension/handling, very nice touring bike.

Good Morning To All,

Thought I would post an update to last year's report with a new UOA. Mileage on the oil was 2,163 miles, in service for 1 year, bike now has 33,955 miles on it. I changed out the Mobil 1 Motorcycle 10w/40 and put in Rotella 15w/40 Conventional and I've listed the report below (Rotella is 1st column, M1 is 2nd column):

Alum 3 - 5
Chrom 0 - 1
Iron 13 - 30
Copper 6 - 11
Lead 0 - 0
Tin 0 - 2
Moly 18 - 82
Boron 76 - 234
Silicon 5 - 5
Sodium 4 - 5
Calc 2,320 - 1,771
Magnesium 39 - 125
Phosph 1,051 - 1,034
Zinc 1.204 - 1,153
SUS @210 71.3 - 67.8
Flash 400 - 405
Fuel Antifreeze 0 - 0
Water 0 - 0
Insolubles TR - 0.1
TBN 7.4 - 4.8

I am very pleased with the report having determined the reason for the elevated wear on Iron and Copper using the Mobil 1 oil was a result of the numerous starts of the engine as I listed in some earlier posts. I guess this confirms most wears of an engine is at start up?
mad.gif

It appears to me that the Shell Rotella 15w/40 Conventional did a good job, a gallon jug for about $12.00 at Walmart.
laugh.gif

When I changed oil, I put in Shell Rotella 5w/40 Synthetic, as I have had my best UOA's with this oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back