Honda Slashes US production due to shut ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
http://wot.motortrend.com/1502_honda_sla...ort_delays.html

And weren't there some people saying this would somehow be GOOD for US jobs? Because Honda can instantly start manufacturing this transmission in the US Right?

I guess in a round about way it is. Perhaps next time Honda has to decide where a trans should be build for a N.A. assembly plant, they might choose to build it here?

Shipping companies may now have incentives to dock at Gulf Coast ports or Eastern Seaboard ports, when Panama canal is finished widening project to accept larger ships.

Many companies are now pressuring shipping companies to find alternate ports so that they can have their products on time. West Coast ports may be in danger of loosing a lot of customers.

Yesterday's radio reported dock workers make up to $142K per year but $80K is more representative number. Of course, they are unionized; let the jealousy rear its ugly head now.

I'm a union member. At least 10% to 20% of my fellow unionists slugs are lazy and do next to NOTHING all day while the other "brothers and sisters" in the union carry the load.

The idea that they should be on any kind of strike in our ports is highly destructive toward many more people than it helps. But...unions don't care about that when the tactics they employ are nothing short of extortion. It doesn't matter to most unions if this extortion occurs when it hurts others....they even did it during WW2, the better they like it. Sort of like when teachers strike EVERY year at the START of the school year. So you see....not even winning a war or teaching kids matters to those thugs...as long as they can extort more money from the EVIL company.

Some of the newest container ships need work on the harbor and port before they can use it. Its more than just the Panama Canal. I think Savannah GA is building out their port.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Is Vancouver available for business?

Getting it over the border, arranging trucks, etc, may be harder and more costly.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

And weren't there some people saying this would somehow be GOOD for US jobs? Because Honda can instantly start manufacturing this transmission in the US Right?

I guess in a round about way it is. Perhaps next time Honda has to decide where a trans should be build for a N.A. assembly plant, they might choose to build it here?

This is what I was thinking as well. If it encourages companies to build manufacturing plants inside the USA so much the better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

This is what I was thinking as well. If it encourages companies to build manufacturing plants inside the USA so much the better.

I think you're missing the picture.. as you did in your previous "chi- junk" thread.

What about folks who work for say Toyota who are waiting on parts from Japan for their manufacturing down south?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I see 8 ports in Ohio listed on this map:
http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/USA_OH.php
Having said that, I have no idea how many of them do containers.

I don't think any containers come in through the Great Lakes. Not ones from Asia at least.

More than likely, they come into California by container ship and take a train to Chicago where they are loaded onto trucks or continue east by rail.

...Because Honda can instantly start manufacturing this transmission in the US Right?

I don't know who said that but it isn't realistic. Even if the tooling and capacity was there (which I'd say the odds of are about the same as the powerball) you can't just start building transmissions and sending them out the door for production cars... They'd have to run the line through QC and preproduction. I'd say minimum 6 months if it was fast tracked and a line is sitting idle that could produce the product.

...Perhaps next time Honda has to decide where a trans should be build for a N.A. assembly plant, they might choose to build it here?

I'd say its at least as likely that the conversation revolves around not producing the car here because the North American supply line is unreliable.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I'd say its at least as likely that the conversation revolves around not producing the car here because the North American supply line is unreliable.

Not really, if that was the case they wouldn't have built engine and assembly lines in the USA. Part of it is also meeting the requirements of Japan to keep a certain amount of manufacturing in
their home nation.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Probably not, when the Yen is so low. Subaru have cancelled plans to move more production to America, because they can make the cars so much more cheaply in Japan now.

But I believe our Civic was made in Ontario. If US ports are unreliable, I'm sure the workers in Vancouver and Ontario would be happy with expanded production here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back