Gasoline Storage at Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have my 'safety' gas cans made by Justrite.

http://www.zoro.com/s/?q=justrite+gas+can

* Self Closing Lid
* Auto Pressure Release
* Flame Arrestor

So, in my garage I have:
(2) 5 Gallon cans that I would fill for Generator 'only' if a is severe storm is predicted.
(2) 2.5 Gallon cans that I fill in the Fall just to have on hand
(1) 2.5 Gallon can to fill lawn-mower and snow-thrower (my every day can).

Question: How are you folks storing several gas cans at home, to be as safe as possible ? ? ?

The most I would ever have is 5 cans containing 17.5 gallons of gasoline.
The minimum would be 1 can containing 2.5 gallons.

I like these storage cabinets, but it's probably over-kill for me.
Although, they sure are nice. I might even sleep better at night.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G1912705/?

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Question: How are you folks storing several gas cans at home, to be as safe as possible ? ? ?

I just put 'em in the kids bedrooms.

I am assuming you do not have an out building or shed. When I did not have a shed, I built a doghouse with a wood/foam/wood floor. I could easily store 50 gallons of gas in there. In the roof of this doghouse was was a marine fire extinguisher. Basically it was a fire extinguisher with a sprinkler head on it. It had matching siding and shingles to the house. Sheds were not permitted in my old neighborhood (Dang HOA's), but doghouses were.
The average 5K generator uses 5 gallons in 10 hours at half load. So 20 gallons of fuel will get you 40 hours of run time. 17.5 gallons might not be sufficient in a major power outage depending on the size of your generator.

If you are only wanting 10 gallons...why not invest in a siphon? Storage is pretty safe inside your vehicles tanks.

If that isnt a viable choice...look into Jerry Cans.. they are steel just like your automobile tank.. been around since the 1930s.

I have a 5 gallon for the generator and a 2.5 gallon for the snow blower (2 cycle). Both in the garage near the door where some fresh air leaks in and keeps the air/fume ratio diluted.

Last edited:
I keep mine in 5 - 2.5 gallon cans. Makes filling easy by just watching the gallons as I fill. It's also the size of my tank on the mower. Easy to completely drain the can without over flowing the tank.

Keep them out in the shed.

Most cars have a flap on the fill tube down by the tank that prevents taking any out of the tank.

Well, I have my 'safety' gas cans made by Justrite.

http://www.zoro.com/s/?q=justrite+gas+can

* Self Closing Lid
* Auto Pressure Release
* Flame Arrestor

So, in my garage I have:
(2) 5 Gallon cans that I would fill for Generator 'only' if a is severe storm is predicted.
(2) 2.5 Gallon cans that I fill in the Fall just to have on hand
(1) 2.5 Gallon can to fill lawn-mower and snow-thrower (my every day can).

The most I would ever have is 5 cans containing 17.5 gallons of gasoline.
The minimum would be 1 can containing 2.5 gallons.

I like these storage cabinets, but it's probably over-kill for me.
Although, they sure are nice. I might even sleep better at night.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G1912705/?

I just filled my new Justrite can for the first time. When you open the cap and shove in gas nozzle, won't it damage the fire arrestor screen. DO you need to be careful and make sure the nozzle gets in the middle of the screen and can you just shove the nozzle in? The cap being heavy spring loaded does not make it easy. And this morning it was -15F and that makes it something I want to do very quickly.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
If you are only wanting 10 gallons...why not invest in a siphon? Storage is pretty safe inside your vehicles tanks.

....and your neighbor's vehicles as well.

Storing gas in the garage isn't the problem. Its pouring gas into stuff while in the garage that starts fires. Pilot lights and pouring gasoline in confined spaces is the problem. Gotta think.

Siphons don't work on modern cars with rollover valves. Try them before you rely on them, and make sure you get more than just what's in the filler neck.

I just filled my new Justrite can for the first time. When you open the cap and shove in gas nozzle, won't it damage the fire arrestor screen. DO you need to be careful and make sure the nozzle gets in the middle of the screen and can you just shove the nozzle in? The cap being heavy spring loaded does not make it easy.

That was my only concern with these cans.
You need 2 hands to fill them and just be careful that the flame arrestor is not damaged. Other than that, there great cans.

I was checking my fire extinguishers and came to the conclusion my best chance of having a fire was in pouring / handling any gasoline.

So from now on, I will be a lot more careful when handling the stuff.

I just filled my new Justrite can for the first time. When you open the cap and shove in gas nozzle, won't it damage the fire arrestor screen. DO you need to be careful and make sure the nozzle gets in the middle of the screen and can you just shove the nozzle in? The cap being heavy spring loaded does not make it easy.

That was my only concern with these cans.
You need 2 hands to fill them and just be careful that the flame arrestor is not damaged. Other than that, there great cans.

I was checking my fire extinguishers and came to the conclusion my best chance of having a fire was in pouring / handling any gasoline.

So from now on, I will be a lot more careful when handling the stuff.

I wonder if the flame arrestor can be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back