Magnefine Transmission Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I would like to know if there are any magnefine filter sponsors i can order from on our Bob is the oil guy site? Thank's.

I bought mine from Amazon: currently 2 (3/8") Magnafine Filters delivered for about $28.00

What's wrong with amazon? I would rather support an independent dealer, but still they are genuine Magnefine filters.

A while back there were some reports of the "genuine" Magnefine filters leaking. Any of you guys using them experience any issues with them?

5 OEM Magnefine ATF filters have not leaked after totalling 85,000 miles. I have them wrapped in a thick rubber hose lining for protection and tied down with heavy duty zip ties.

Rubbing against things or vibration might lead to problems like leaking and the key is properly insulating and securing the filter. Also make sure the top of the filter is screwed in very tight.

Reported problems with leaking are likely from poor installation or using a counterfeit filter of lower quality.

Plan on changing these Magnefine filters at 15,000 miles after installation and then every 30,000 thereafter.

Is Magnefine trans filter making them now with metallic ends (3/8") as seen on site link (901Memphis shared) instead of plastic ends on the older versions?. Would they be just as good as say installing a remote external filter kit? Thanks Paul

Originally Posted By: paltex
Is Magnefine trans filter making them now with metallic ends (3/8") as seen on site link (901Memphis shared) instead of plastic ends on the older versions?. Would they be just as good as say installing a remote external filter kit? Thanks Paul

I doubt that a Magnefine filter will do as well as a remote filter. The question you have to ask is do you need a remote filter?

Remember that the magnefine has a magnet as well as filter media so it should do better on ferrous particles but maybe not as good as a high efficiency filter on other particles.

The best solution is probably a remote filter with a Fram Ultra and a filter magnet.

But a magnefine is probably going to be easier and cheaper and probably good enough.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A while back there were some reports of the "genuine" Magnefine filters leaking. Any of you guys using them experience any issues with them?

Unfortunately I'm running a counterfeit knock off I picked up from NAPA so far all seems fine no leaks what so ever. I will be going genuine next time around now that I know there is a difference.

Yeah had heard that to, about the counterfeit's. But see a few reputable good brands like wix & motorcraft(ft183), and possible others, but what I've seen there as costly or even more so than original Magnefines, Think the one on amazon is wix branded. Paul

Yeah had heard that to, about the counterfeit's. But see a few reputable good brands like wix & motorcraft(ft183), and possible others, but what I've seen there as costly or even more so than original Magnefines, Think the one on amazon is wix branded. Paul

The one I got from NAPA was a Raybestos brand.

I don't think magnefine can filter non metallic or non magnetic material out as well as remote filter as it only has a nominal rating of 35. Ford has declared magnefine to be ineffective and stopped installing them.

I don't blame Ford for seeing things that way, since they used NTZ bypass filters, which are true submicron filters. 35 microns might as well be a chain link fence by comparison.

I have opened many magnefine filters - - after cutting the element apart and inspecting them it would seem that 90% of the material caught was on the magnet and not much if any on the cellulose material.

At least the material is in the magnefine and not the trans pan.

Much easier to replace a magnefine over a pan and gasket and magnet clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back