House heating

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents house is heated by electric heating elements built into the ceiling. They supplement that with a wood burning stove in the basement. My father is getting up there in age, and isn't very keen on hauling wood, so they're looking to upgrade the heat system. The house doesn't have any vents. I'm looking for ideas for a new heat system. Cost is an issue. What are some different ideas? It's a ranch house, with a full basement.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
One option would be to replace the wood stove with a pellet stove.

They still involves hauling bags of pellets. My dad will be 75 next winter, and he just wants to turn the dial up on a thermostats to get warm.

Insulation,

It cost me 400 for 16 rolls of R19,
Put two layers in the attic...
75% drop in bill...

Hint-used unfaced on top of existing.
Run one layer one way, run the other layer across (crosshatched)

Spray foam is also an option...

Last edited:
Is the house connected to natural gas? What's the cooking stove powered off of?

Edit: Matt's suggestion to invest in insulation is a good idea too!

Last edited:
do they have natural gas? its the cheapest to heat with

propane is horrible(cost), oil not much better.

Why are the heating elements in the ceiling? heat rises.. are there ceiling fans?

Last edited:
Electricity is the least efficient and in many areas is the most expensive heat source.

If they live in an area with natural gas service, a forced hot air system or boiler and radiators will be easy enough to install in a single story ranch with basement. Even heating oil or propane will be a savings over electricity.

An efficient natural gas system will pay for itself quickly enough if electricity is the other option.

I went through this when my mom could no longer put logs in the fire place. I went with a propane stove that looks like a wood burning stove. It keeps the room hot. Often too hot!

In my area propane costs much more than electricity, oil about the same but much more maintenance costs etc.

With electric you can always put in multiple thermostats and not heat the whole house to 68F or whatever their preferred temp is... ie keep unused rooms at 60F etc.

Natural gas is by far the cheapest.

you could go with a hot water system or forced air.

Last edited:
Google Mini split heat pumps.

One in the basement, maybe. 2 or 3 upstairs Ductless, very efficient down to about q5 degrees. And improve the insulation.

rod

electric heat is the most "efficient". 100% of the input of electricity into heating element is converted to heat, unlike gas or oil where much of the heat from combustion goes up the flue. the cost per btu is highest with electric which is what hurts.

if nat gas or propane an option consider a fireplace. i have a ventless propane that works good, but i think laws and politics outlawed them u cant buy them anymore around here. breckwell doesnt even acknowledge ever making them now. they all have chimneys now, if u can get a chimney run within the room to reclaim that heat itll be that much more efficient as opposed to a dbl lined insulated chimney.

For those bashing propane as being expensive, I somewhat disagree. Yes, more expensive than natural gas but should not be compared with oil or electricity.

Here is my experience. Over the last month, our average temp has been 9 degrees and I used about 140 gallons of propane. I prepaid my propane this summer at around $1.70 a gallon (give or take 10 cents). So my monthly heating cost for an insanely cold Maine winter was about $240.

I have a new home, about 2200 square feet two story, modern boiler, own my propane tank, tankless hotwater, baseboard heat on two floors, insulated basement, R30 walls, R60 in the attic.

Last year I seriously considered a heat pump or a pellet stove, however when I did the math of what my current propane consumption is weighed against $3,000-$5,000 to add a heating pump or a pellet stove, I decided just to stick with propane for now.

Last edited:
Propane's one of those things where the more you use, the more you save. I pay around $5/gal just for my cooking stove; I fill one of those "R2D2" tanks once a year. I guess the money includes some "tank rent".

Propane/Gas are good for "monitor heaters" that vent through the wall. If your house doesn't have a chimney other options may be more complex, though they do make "power venters". Any option, make sure if you get snow they can still breathe through the wall and not cause CO buildup.

Electricity is not efficient to heat with if you're considering fuel use or cost. The electricity you use was likely created by burning fossil fuels in a generator that's 40% to 60% efficient. Also, unless you're in a municipal electric district with low rates, it's very likely to be the most expensive.

At least where I am, propane prices vary wildly by the season. I have a 500 gallon tank that I keep topped off and a propane forced hot air furnace that generally gets used only if I leave town. Most of the time I'm burning wood pellets. I do use propane for cooking, hot water, and my clothes dryer. I fill the tank during the summer, and average $2/gallon. I've seen it spike to as much as $5/gal during the winter.

Here is a calculator they can help you determine heating costs by using local prices.

Still, I think a 95% efficient natural gas furnace or boiler is the way to go, if available. Extra insulation in the house as well as replacement of old windows are good ideas.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

At least where I am, propane prices vary wildly by the season. I have a 500 gallon tank that I keep topped off

This You need to own your own propane tank to get a good price. I just paid $1.43/gal. Last year I paid $1.44 . Propane spiked wildly high a few months ago. Thats the beauty of a 500 gallon tank. I fill up in summer generally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Is the house connected to natural gas? What's the cooking stove powered off of?

The house is all electric. NG is available, but it's never been hooked up.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Why are the heating elements in the ceiling? heat rises.. are there ceiling fans?

It's the worst design ever, and common in their neighborhood. I've never seen it anywhere else. They do have ceiling fans.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
If they live in an area with natural gas service, a forced hot air system or boiler and radiators will be easy enough to install in a single story ranch with basement. Even heating oil or propane will be a savings over electricity.

My parents are leaning towards a boiler. I think a forced air system would be better. It would also give the option of central air down the road.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Google Mini split heat pumps.

That's a good option. I'll let them know about it.

I had never heard of the ceiling heat until I was watching This Old House a few weeks back. I think it was also Ohio. They installed a heat pump without duct work. They claimed it worked well and converted $1 of electricity into $3 of heat. If I remember correctly.

Sometimes, your local electric utility will finance a new install of a heat-pump or a package gas/heat-pump combination unit that sits outside with a new duct system for your home.

Before everyone panics, the Package gas part is for heat only, and the heat-pump mainly for cooling. In Tennessee this is a big deal because TVA will accept the heat pump side of it so you can get it financed if you want to. Many folks have done that here in Tennessee. When I lived in Florida, Gulf Power would do the same, but it must be a Packaged gas/heat-pump combo to get financing, it maybe different in your home town...

While propane is $3+ per gallon we use very little. Only about 30 gallons per month.our power bill is always $250+ and I don't leave lights on. We get charged $125ish just to have power then they tack on the amount we use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back