Wife Wants New Washer,Dryer,Stove and Dishwasher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washer/Dryer, Speed Queen without question. All metal gears, automatic balancing system, SS drum.
Priced not much more the junk brands but they don't have the gee whiz gizmos, just a good solid USA built machine. These are smooth running machines.

Are you kidding she wants brand new everything... if it was up to me i would keep everything because everything still works ok except the dishwasher it is showing some rust inside if you look closely and now it has a dead short that trips the breaker.

Are you going top load or front load. With front load, you have make sure the washer dries out before closing the door otherwise it gets stinky.

If I were to buy a new one today I'd probably look at Electrolux, Samsung, LG for front load or maybe a GE, whirlpool, or maytag for a more basic model. YouTube and Internet searches for reviews are your best bet.

I have an old kenmore top loader. It's given me a few problems but I can usually look up the issue on YouTube and figure it out and fix it myself. I suppose a front loader could be similar but the old mechanical top loaders are easy to fix and cheap.

For dishwasher I have a GE profile that's been great so far. Quiet and cleans well. No problems in the past 5 years I had it.

Let her buy what she wants - you don't ask her for help when you need fluids or filters or gaskets, you just buy what you want.
If she has Internet access and a bank card she can order it to be delivered when you're at work so you don't have to help the delivery guy unload his van.
Remember that if it's not commercial, it's disposable.

If you have appliances that are all functional I wouldn't bother
there are alot of consumer shows and articles explaining the producers want you to replace them every 5 years rather than 15 to 20. New items are literally not what they used to be.
They are made to not last.

Yet another vote for the Speed Queen washer and dryers. I've had mine for 3 years and have had no issues. We had Whirlpool machines previously and they only lasted 13 months before getting quotes for $700 worth of repairs out of warranty. I tossed them out and bought my Speed Queens.

If you want the newest "features" like a LCD display that tells you the weather then look elsewhere or a machine that will send you a text when the load is done then look elsewhere, but, if you want durability and speed then take a look at Speed Queen. They very durable and take abuse in stride (horse blankets). They are backed by an excellent warranty in the event that something does go wrong; 3 or 5 year "bumper to bumper" warranty depending on if you choose the mechanical or electronic control panel respectively, 5-year warranty on the motor and cabinet, 15-year for the transmission, and a lifetime warranty for the wash tub.

My boss' Bosch dishwasher started leaking at the 4 year mark (last year) . He's been battling with deteriorating plastic parts ever since. I recently purchased a GE dishwasher with the "bottle" nozzles in the upper rack and I am very happy with it's performance.

I have Kitchen Aid stuff otherwise. It's been pretty good 13 years on. Parts are cheap and available on ebayy.

The local repairman advised me to stay away from LG and Samsung, not because they are lower quality, but because parts are difficult to obtain.

I have Ge Monogram/Profile and Jenn Air. All installed in 1998 and working fine. Just replaced the Jenn Air cook top with a new one and I'll do one appliance replacement every year. except the fridge which is a 42" built in that the service guys says has the old style compressor system that should last 25-30 years.

I put new pumps in the dishwasher 5 years ago myself for $240 so it runs like new. But I will never replace all at the same time. The dishwasher will get replaced next year. I shop until I find the high end models on sale or closeout. Best time to shop is around the major holiday sales.

Last edited:
Suggest checking out appliantology.org and signing up to receive their appliance recommendations report. It's free and explains (in their goofy humorous way) what brands they prefer for each type of major appliance. They discuss reliability, parts availability and cost, availability of repair information, etc. It's quite good.

FWIW there is no such thing as a "Kenmore" appliance - all of them are contract made by some other manufacturer. We have a Kenmore front loading washer and dryer pair (HE2 or HE3, our home had them when we moved in 7+ years ago) that are made by Whirlpool. So parts availability isn't really a problem, just a potential hassle trying to cross reference the parts.

jeff

Originally Posted By: Olas
Let her buy what she wants - you don't ask her for help when you need fluids or filters or gaskets, you just buy what you want.
If she has Internet access and a bank card she can order it to be delivered when you're at work so you don't have to help the delivery guy unload his van.
Remember that if it's not commercial, it's disposable.

the "... not commercial, it's disposable" comment that a few share is funny.15-19 years is hardly disposable.i've never heard of family/friends/neighbors replacing any of the mentioned appliances before 17 or 18 years. what do you guys expect from a machine costing a few hundred bucks? some are tough to please.but, opinions vary.

the rest of the above post is common sense.
OP -- narrow down your choice to 2 or 3 brands, and let the wife pick out the machines.if something goes wrong, or the dishwasher rack is not as good as the old machine (or some other goofy thing), it'll be your fault. and, you'll hear about it, forever.
to be fair to the wife, your machines are 15-19 years old. she's not asking for the moon to have new appliances.

good luck, and remember -- LET THE WIFE choose the machines.

I've had Kenmore for years and liked the appliances I bought. Bought all new a couple of years ago and went with the Kenmore Elite brand. I have been happy with them. Its like anything else, no matter what brand there will be possible problems down the line. Once the warranty is up I normally just have the local repair guy fix any problem I might have, which has been pretty rare, and that is only if I can't do it myself. Take a look at good ole Lowes and Home Depot. They have a pretty good selection of brands.

My mother and father had a system in the 70s that seemed to work and my wife and I use it sometimes. If my mother wanted a new TV or appliance that was still working my father would mark a date on a calendar. The deal was that $2 per day would go into an imaginary fund. $1 from each parent. When something new was wanted that would give them time to find what they wanted, and when the fund was full then they could purchase knowing that it only cost $1 per day to get what they wanted.

Sometimes the fund went to vacation, sometimes it went to something else that was wanted or needed more...and mom realized that she didnt really need that 'new thing'..

All of my kitchen appliances are LG brand and all junk. Unless they've changed their quality in the last 6 years I'd stay away. Not built to last.

We bought new appliances a few years back. All the manufacturers have different "lines" with different cost, quality, and features.

We settled on LG front load washer and dryer. They're great. Even when all six kids are here over the holidays, or in the summer, and the machines are in constant use, they're reliable, quiet, efficient and gentle on clothes.

We got GE kitchen appliances, range, dishwasher and convection oven/micro/hood. Very reliable. Not one issue. But they were GE Profile, which was considerably more than the GE Base line. Good stuff.

Our setup is:
GE Front Load Washer and Dryer
Bosch Cooktop
GE Profile Over-the-Range Microwave
Miele Double Oven
Bosch Dishwasher
Amana Refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back