Moving into a 2015 Silverado for service work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone out there working out of a pick up truck for construction/service work?

I have been working from my van for the last 6 years. I want to get away from crawling around, finding parts with a light, limited demo/debris room, among other issues.

The 2015 I am looking at has the 4.3 with the back up camera. It is a work truck, but has a lot of gobbly goop I could pass on, no one makes a plane Jane anymore so that is the way it is.

I would like to install Hi Side boxes so parts are at eye level, and easier to see. The bed is open for debris.

Just curious as to opinions...

Last edited:
How secure are those boxes? Once nice thing about a windowless cargo van is the security, especially if you add the padlock pucks on the side and rear doors. Also, everything kinda warms up in the cargo area by the time you get to the first job, but in a pickup everything is frozen solid all day long in the winter. Amazing how cold metal objects can get!

Hands down a van! Like others have said, a good van is indispensable.

The only time I would not want a van is if I was going to be off road in the mud.

I like the looks of the Nissan NV Compact Cargo. Chevrolet Express 3500
Work Van is a more traditional model if you like.

Last edited:
Stick with the van. Get a high roof. You will tire quickly climbing in the bed of a pickup. Can't find nothing in the boxes, exposed to the elements, theft becomes a greater risk.

Trailers suck too. Speed limits, hooking/unhooking, take up too much space on residential streets, backing up can be an issue, something else to register, insure, and maintain, so much for sending a helper for lunch.

A properly set up high roof van provides everything. Work lights are easy to install if you don't have them as a factory option. Your tools and equipment will last longer and work better not being exposed to the elements. Easy to get in and out of. I can go on and on. Stick with the van. You'll love a high roof.

Yes you can. You either special order what you want or go to a fleet dealer.

Originally Posted By: Plumber
It is a work truck, but has a lot of gobbly goop I could pass on, no one makes a plane Jane anymore so that is the way it is.

I don't know why I'm dwelling on this. I do have lots of experience here. Just brainstorming.

Trailers get hot and cold, still need shelving and light, some jurisdictions require backup alarms and pylons (traffic cones). Can your truck tow the weight? Upgraded mirrors? How are your truck brakes?...oh yeah, trailer brakes/controllers. Trailers always develop electrical issues, someone will always break a taillight, the floors are cheap, trees on side streets will scratch the paint, got a place to park it when not in use?...

Last edited:
You'll scratch the [censored] out of a pickup leaning into your side boxes, PIA to lift things in and out of the bed, someone will eventually shove something through the rear window, things tend to get put on top of each other, gotta get out to get something out of the bed...

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I don't know why I'm dwelling on this. I do have lots of experience here.

I appreciate yours and everyone's comments, that is why I posted.

Perhaps you are thinking of another style of box? The boxes I am interested in sit on the rail, and the doors open toward you. No leaning into the truck.

To answer a couple questions....
-the boxes weigh under 90lbs.
-I am already tired of crawling thru a van.
-Sometimes debris, heaters, rodding equipment in the van prevent me from further calls as I cannot reach parts.
-Besides pvc fittings, all service parts, copper, gas fittings will be in the boxes, locked up.
-My vehicle is parked in the shop, or my garage every night.

Thanks for the comments!

I know exactly what you mean about the side boxes. They suck. Sounds like your mind is made up. Post pictures when you have it complete.

I'd skip the 1500 and buy a 3/4 ton and put a utility body on it.

My plumbers have a combo of the new Fiat vans with the tall roofs, Ford E series with boxes on the back, and Sprinters. All have shelf systems inside.

The LWD E350s with boxes seem to be the most useful, and can hold the most [censored].

Side/tool boxes are horrible ideas on a pickup, people just steel tools out of them.

Last edited:
My mind is about 3/4 made up. I am driving the truck now to see how it feels.

I all honesty, I do not carry a lot of tools. I estimate jobs, schedule them and pull what I need. Then when it is done, everything goes back. What I use are parts, fittings etc.

Maybe there is something I am not thinking of...certainly a big decision for me.

The truck will be a couple feet longer than my van, same height, much wider.

Well that's some important information you left out. By reading your original post and reading your screen name you came across as some hardcore fulltime plumbing maniac.

By all means get the pickup. All formen types drive pickups. You'll just look slightly off kilter driving a GM instead of a Ford. That's okay, I'm starting to see more GM's but the Fords outnumber them 10 to 1.

I all honesty, I do not carry a lot of tools. I estimate jobs, schedule them and pull what I need. Then when it is done, everything goes back. What I use are parts, fittings etc.

LOL...Unfortunately I am a full time plumber (my wife is the foreman).

Over the years I have picked up more service oriented plumbing than remodel and construction. But when I bid those, I just load up and go!

Along with that, I have a pretty good idea of what gets used the most, and barely at all.

Driving around I see a good mix of Ford and GM. Seems I do see more & more Toyota and Nissan trucks though.

I did look at the 2014 F150. Around here they are hard to come by.

When I signed up I thought I put my screen name as Flat Tappet 54. But for some reason I listed occupation in the wrong slot.

Lmao, nice
grin.gif

When I signed up I thought I put my screen name as Flat Tappet 54. But for some reason I listed occupation in the wrong slot.

After working out of a van for several years I would say that crawling inside to get stuff is the worst thing about them. Have you seen the Chev. Express with the Express Access package? It has lift up panels on the side so you can have parts, fixtures, etc at eye level and easy to reach. They fit where the windows would normally be if it were a passenger version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back