Blower motor resistor on 1996 Buick Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone know where the blower motor control module resistor is located on a 1996 Buick Century 3.1? I dropped the cover skin under my dash on the passenger side and don't see a thing. I believe mine is bad as there is a strong burning smell when the blower is running although everything seems to work well at the moment. No smell when the blower is off.

Part #13:

ac-heater-module-asm-ma0905301.png

http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Product/...A&Year=1996

If the wire-type resistor is burned out, it can't be soldered because it runs very hot and will melt the solder. You need a new one. A burned-out resistor will result in improper blower-fan-speed settings when you try to switch the fan speed.

Mine didn't have any brakes in the coils but does have corrosion, discoloration and rust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 007
Mine didn't have any brakes in the coils but does have corrosion, discoloration and rust.
Then be sure to scrub the wiring harness clean, and apply silicone grease to it before connecting the new part.

Originally Posted By: 007

It could be something inside your heater unit that is smelling. There is no need to change the resistor unit if the three resistor coils aren't broken and the fan-speed switch is functioning normally. Besides, if it's under the hood, smell wouldn't be coming from it.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Blower motor resistor is generally mounted to the HVAC plenum under the dash.

I suspect that this is to provide cooling air for the resistor.

The wire-coil resistors inside the resistor unit get very hot -- above the melting temperature of regular solder. The resistor unit needs to be mounted some safe place so that it doesn't create a fire hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back