Purolator L14477 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Napa Gold.
grin.gif

Wavy shaped media is fine, all of it is wavy in the vertical cross section, more surface area. What isn't fine is weak media that becomes wavy or is wavy to start with, when the goal was to have straight pleats. Like those used to be made by your filter company Purolator. Wavy media that should be straight is too flexible. If your engineers in your filter company want to think they know better than the old guys who made them right, but your new guys now make them wrong, I will buy someone elses.

If an oil filter starts out with nice straight pleated media, but after use the media comes out wavy, that media has stretched. The Denso no end caps filter elements I use come out straight, and I suspect the wire mesh keeps the other kind I use now, pretty straight and unstretched too. I would think if media is stretched the holes get bigger, maybe even it tears, heaven forbid.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Wavy shaped media is fine, all of it is wavy in the vertical cross section, more surface area. What isn't fine is weak media that becomes wavy or is wavy to start with, when the goal was to have straight pleats. Like those used to be made by your filter company Purolator. Wavy media that should be straight is too flexible. If your engineers in your filter company want to think they know better than the old guys who made them right, but your new guys now make them wrong, I will buy someone elses.

My filter company? I wish it were my company! Where is all of this possession talk coming from? I am not paid by Purolator and I certainly don't work for them. I'm just an enthusiast like everyone else! It's not MY company, I just like to use some of THEIR products. I also like Fram ultras, Marvel mystery oil, 5 minute motor flush and everything Royal Purple. If you think it is my company because I enjoy their products, then this whole [censored] site is owned by Fram because all I ever hear about is the ultra!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It seems as though the quality & consistency of the PuroClassic & PureONE's is all over the place. Some look like yours and others look absolutely WONDERFUL!
How does a wavey pleat affect filtering quality?

I reason the media is folded is to provide more media surface area to be available to capture contaminants. Looking at these uneven and wavy pleats you can see they are collapsed such that flow is greatly reduced or no longer thru the pleat's surface area. Also the collapsed pleats are subject to movement which leads to weakened media and possible tears.

We do hear a lot of good things about the ultra but that is the only fram filter most of us would ever consider buying.. I think napa gold is also a good filter i get them at a pretty good wholesale price. I am going to be using the ultra for the first time on one of my 4.6 fords
From what i can see compared to Motorcraft the ultra is slightly bigger and it seems by looking at it to be put together very nicely the mounting threads are nicer than the motorcraft, there are six large long inlet holes on the Motorcraft which is nice possibly better oil flow than the ultra which has eight little round inlet holes but i can't say that for sure i am only comparing them in my hand side by side. The ultra also seems slightly heavier than the motorcraft. The ultra like some other Frams have some kind of oil protecting the filter (from what i am not sure maybe rust? the motorcraft is dry. Also if this matters and it is just my opinion the motorcraft has a nicer paint job, lol
If the fram ultra has a good oil flow according to my very accurate mechanical oil gauge i have installed on that truck i will continue to use them for 12,000 miles. 2 oci's

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
congrats on opening the filter without tearing it. the vast majority of reported tears were because of amateurs damaging the media in the process.

^^ Yes, that must be why Purolators are tearing
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, it's such a "solid theory" on why there are 57 reported torn filters ... all BITOG members have shaky hands and can't operate an oil filter cutter. LOL
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: webfors
Another good looking filter that DIDN'T tear.

You need glasses brother. That is far from a "good looking filter".
Perhaps there is a "gold standard" for good looking filters we can go by from now on.

And what "gold standard" would that be? The pureone? That has a gold color....

There's something else that has a gold color too ...
laugh2.gif

If you think it is my company because I enjoy their products, then this whole [censored] site is owned by Fram because all I ever hear about is the ultra!
smirk.gif

LoL ...
icon_mecry.gif

People talk about the Ultra for a reason ... not hard to figure that out.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

From what i can see compared to Motorcraft the ultra is slightly bigger and it seems by looking at it to be put together very nicely the mounting threads are nicer than the motorcraft, there are six large long inlet holes on the Motorcraft which is nice possibly better oil flow than the ultra which has eight little round inlet holes but i can't say that for sure i am only comparing them in my hand side by side.

Guess you missed the postings about the base hole total area between a MC and the FU. FU wins.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If you think it is my company because I enjoy their products, then this whole [censored] site is owned by Fram because all I ever hear about is the ultra!
smirk.gif

LoL ...
icon_mecry.gif

People talk about the Ultra for a reason ... not hard to figure that out.

I already figured it out. See above. And out of the kindness of my heart I will be posting a video on YouTube demonstrating the proper way to open an oil filter so you darn amateurs will stop tearing them...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

My filter company? I wish it were my company! Where is all of this possession talk coming from? I am not paid by Purolator and I certainly don't work for them. I'm just an enthusiast like everyone else! It's not MY company, I just like to use some of THEIR products. I also like Fram ultras, Marvel mystery oil, 5 minute motor flush and everything Royal Purple. If you think it is my company because I enjoy their products, then this whole [censored] site is owned by Fram because all I ever hear about is the ultra!
smirk.gif

It is hypothetical, no one thinks anyone posting here owns a filter company. I don't remember it was you I was responding to, just responding to the wavy pleat discussion.

I will be posting a video on YouTube demonstrating the proper way to open an oil filter so you darn amateurs will stop tearing them...

Sure, nobody here can figure out how to cut open an oil filter, even with a dedicated filter cutter. Don't cut yourself using that kitchen can opener. LoL
wink.gif

Z06 a little piece of you must die every time you see a white can that was ran without any "failures". Isnt it funny how most of the Puros posted here lately have been just fine? I hate to say I told you so but.....

Z06 a little piece of you must die every time you see a white can that was ran without any "failures". Isnt it funny how most of the Puros posted here lately have been just fine? I hate to say I told you so but.....

LOL ... you really don't know that I was probably the biggest Purolator advocate and fan/user at one time - go read some old threads. I could care less what filter people use, but I do "call 'em like I see 'em", and I see 'em (along with 99.9% of the other guys here) differently than you.

Purolator isn't out of the woods yet buckaroo. Where's your spread sheet showing 5,700 good Purolators to make those 57 failures just a 1% failure rate. Lol ...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

LOL ... you really don't know that I was probably the biggest Purolator advocate and fan/user at one time - go read some old threads. I could care less what filter people use, but I do "call 'em like I see 'em", and I see 'em (along with 99.9% of the other guys here) differently than you.

Purolator isn't out of the woods yet buckaroo. Where's your spread sheet showing 5,700 good Purolators to make those 57 failures just a 1% failure rate. Lol ...
grin.gif

Did you see the OPs filter? The one without the tear? You cannot deny that filter didn't fail and it is still structurally sound. And yes, it will be recorded on the list.

Did you see the OPs filter? The one without the tear? You cannot deny that filter didn't fail and it is still structurally sound. And yes, it will be recorded on the list.

Did I deny it didn't fail? You better get crackin' on that "No Tears" spread sheet. Like I said, you've now got to find 5,800 good filters to keep that measly 1% failure rate alive.
wink.gif

Really? This broken record again?

Cpt - You really need to pull your head out from somewhere... With more than 50 tears, clearly it's not people self-inflicting the damage (not all of them).

jk_636 - Congrats. ONE filter didn't tear. Hopefully this trend continues. But people will get (and already are) tired of your arrogance. I'll be cutting the last of my P1s that were just taken out of service soon. I'll be sure to post BOTH good and bad ones. I'm sure I'll hear from you soon.

Zee - While I'm on your side, neither of these two are ever going to get it through their heads that what they say is not 100% correct. It's a lost cause. They're not going to change.
02.gif

Your Fram references, while probably justifiable, don't help.

Please don't take this the wrong way, like I said I'm on your side here, but they are clowns. You have to treat them like one.

P.S. jk_636 and cpt - When and if i post a good filter from my last batch (and I have posted good ones before) there will be your proof that I'm not opening them incorrectly.

Last edited:
tony1679, try not to be offended by my post, not everyone is a professional oil filter opener, leave that to the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Really? This broken record again?

Cpt - You really need to pull your head out from somewhere... With more than 50 tears, clearly it's not people self-inflicting the damage (not all of them).

jk_636 - Congrats. ONE filter didn't tear. Hopefully this trend continues. But people will get (and already are) tired of your arrogance. I'll be cutting the last of my P1s that were just taken out of service soon. I'll be sure to post BOTH good and bad ones. I'm sure I'll hear from you soon.

Zee - While I'm on your side, neither of these two are ever going to get it through their heads that what they say is not 100% correct. It's a lost cause. They're not going to change.
02.gif

Your Fram references, while probably justifiable, don't help.

Please don't take this the wrong way, like I said I'm on your side here, but they are clowns. You have to treat them like one.

P.S. jk_636 and cpt - When and if i post a good filter from my last batch (and I have posted good ones before) there will be your proof that I'm not opening them incorrectly.

I am not associated with captain Barkley in any way, nor do I share his opinion on the improper cutting of filters.

When a filter tears on here 700 posts on why they are terrible and that is considered socially acceptable. When a filter doesn't tear, I engage in friendly discourse and congratulate the OP on cutting and posting a good filter. But somehow I'm the jerk eh? I swear this site is being ran by "the competition" more and more each day.

Giving factual accounts and experiences about certain products (whether it be oil, filters, fuels etc). Is what this forum is designed for. You dismiss this as arrogance, but arrogance is when confidence meets experience. If someone does not like my ideas, feel free to attempt to refute them. I will reserve the same aforementioned right.

Your post could not be more hypocritical. Your krony insists on juvenile discussion win hollow talking points. If yoi were looking for annoying, you found it.

So perhaps you should find someone else to call a clown, because as of now your justification is hinged upon disagreement with your associate, and tha is as entertaining as it is sad.

I didn't say your mother wears army boots, I said this was a good looking filter. Now let's get back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back